Is this multiple myeloma?
I am a 48 y.o female who was being tested for signs and symptoms of hyperparathyroidism.  I had several repeat blood tests that came back with elevated calcium and protein but normal PTH.  My physician ordered a 24 hour urine and additional blood tests.  My results are as follows:  Protein / Creatinine ratio 294 (range is 21-161 and total protein of 42 (range is 5 -24).  My Vitamin D (OH) level was low at 17 (range 18 - 72).  With protein electrophoresis it showed Beta Globulins at 3.2 High (range is 0.8 - 1.4) and abnormal protein band 1 at 0.2 high (range should be none detected).  The interpretation read two possible monoclonal bands present.  Beta M-Spike = 2.1 g/dL and the second in the gamma region.  I have been told they are looking at possible multiple myeloma.  Would you agree and what additional tests will or should be performed?  Could this be something else?  Thank you in advance.
The test that would definately tell you is a bone marrow biopsy.  

I am not a doctor, I am a person with Multiple Myeloma so I only know from my own experience.  The SPEP test is pretty indictive and it is the test my hematologist uses to monitor my MM.  The spike is called M spike (myeloma protien and it can be in any of the IG regions, but I think IGA and IGG are the most common)  I think there are some people who have two spikes but that is more rare.

Did they do a 24 urine test?  They  test if for myeloma protein. They also do plain exrays of the skeleton for fractures caused by multiple meyloma.  

When I was diagnosed my m spike was 94 g/L and bone marrow biopsy showed 49% plasma cells.