Weight Loss & Dieting Community
ACL Reconstruction with a VLCD diet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

ACL Reconstruction with a VLCD diet

I am currently 14 weeks into LighterLife, a VLCD diet (500kals daily intake)and am in ketosis but i am scheduled for ACL reconstruction surgery next week on my right knee and my LighterLife councellor is undecided as to whether or not i should stay on the diet and has asked me for my GP/orthopods authorisation. What are the pros and cons and am I at risk staying in ketosis throughout the operation and recovery - i managed fine after key hole (last month)
Welcome to MedHelp and the WL&D Community; we are most happy to have you here.  While each person has to make their own choices about their method of losing weight, this community strives to do so by making healthier food choices, implementing moderate exercise and staying involved with each other to share information, motivation, support and encouragement.  And, we would be thrilled and hope you will consider joining us in that endeavor.

As for your question, I personally am not a proponent of VLCD diets as 500 calories a day is starvation.  Your body, in all its grand design, then works to "survive".  It slows our metabolism, makes us tired and mounts an arsenal of survival techniques in an attempt to preserve life.  If we limit our calories and push exercise, we can be in danger of losing our lives.

I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT be in ketosis and this starvation state when entering surgery.  Here is some information I will share with you ...

"Some medical resources regard ketosis as a physiological state associated with chronic starvation.[citation needed] Glucose is the energy source used initially by cells in the body due to its availability within the cell; ketosis is regarded as a crisis reaction of the body due to a lack of carbohydrates in the diet. Ketosis would thus be a dangerous (potentially life-threatening) state which unnecessarily stresses the liver and causes destruction of muscle tissues. This is still the view of the majority in the medical and nutritional science communities ..."

Hope you will accept our invitation to join us here .. the members here are most amazing and knowledgeable .. and hope to be able to welcome you as a regular contributing member and get to know you better.

Either way, very best wishes on your upcoming surgery.  Please let us know what you decide and how you are doing.

(((Hugs)))
Ranae