Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Abdominal Exercises

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Abdominal Exercises

I am an obese female with a current medical condition, I want to lose weight especially around my stomach area but i was cautioned to take it easy with difficult exercises because of my size. Tell me what kind of exercise would be good for me to lose this stomach area.
If you are obese then your best method of attack is all over general weight loss then when you are down to a more comfortable level introduce a more refined set of exercising to target specific areas.

So first look at your diet and your general activity.

Lower your calories and increase your activity.

Without knowing your age and height and weight (and current mendical condition)  I would advise that you spend a week writing down everything you eat and the calorific value. And buy a pedometer and wear it all day and write down your daily steps taken.

After this week of fact finding, determine to improve each day, your calorie intake should be around 1500-2000 depending on your height, weight and age and you should be finally aiming for 10,000 steps a day.

The secret is to take each day as a seperate set of tasks, so if you have a bad day, tomorrow is a new chance to meet or exceed your goals.

Keep a chart for yourself, but also use the tracker on here, it is very good and motivating to see a visual representation of your progress.

The best form of exercise fo weight loss is cardio vascular, so walking, running, cycling, jogging, skipping. So do what you can when you can, even walking an extra few steps a day is an improvement. You know your limitations and you know where you can push yourself a bit more.

Set yourself a final goal and date you wish to achieve it -  look at losing 1-2lb a week.
Then set yourself monthly mini goals and weekly mini goals... set yourself rewards for sucess and work hard.

Today could be the start of a whole new you -  good luck :)
Very much have to agree with the advice of Whatawoman.  In my journey, I began at 330 lbs and could barely exercise without difficulty breathing.  I took one day at a time and vowed with each attempt at exercise that I would last one minute or one step longer than the day before.  Initially, 5 minutes of a 30 minute workout video was quite a challenge!  Implementing the above plan, one day I realized I was at 20 minutes.

The same was true in losing weight.  I set small goals and trying to imagine losing 165 pounds was too daunting.  I have lost 146 pounds to date and have set goals of 2 lbs, 3 lbs, 5 lbs and 10 lbs along the way.  I never thought of losing all the weight, I focused only on those small goals, celebrated my achievement upon reaching it and then set another small goal.  It is not shocking to think of the total weight loss because it never seemed like more than 2-10 lbs!

The food journal is KEY as is the support here on the site.  Stay in touch and let us know how we can help.  We're in this journey together and there is strength in numbers!  Here to help ...

(((Big Huggsss)))
Ranae