Anyone lose weight after being on prednisone?
I was on high doses of prednisone for scleritis and eventually tapered off (May 8-October 24 60 mg) Now it's about two and a half months later, will I be able to lose the weight? Has it changed my metabolism? Any advice other than a low salt diet. Or is that the only way to go? How long do you have to deal with the effects of Prednisone? I had a hysterectomy on 12/14 but kept my ovaries(they had to give me a dose of steroids then too so that my adrenal glands would kick in) Im very frustrated, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Robyn in Florida
Scoo155

I am sorry you had to go through so much. I am hydrocortisone for Primary Adrenal Insufficiency (Addison's) so I can not come off. I only take physiological doses that normally my adrenals would make.

Has anyone checked your Dhea levels? DHEA/DHEA SULFATE
Some people lose weight taking sublingual DHEA. However, I would not take this until you check levels because DHEA can sometimes lower cortisol.

Are your cortisol levels bsck to normal ? Are you going to Endocrinologist ?
The weight will eventually come off with a higher protein and low/moderate carb diet. I had hysterectomy too but long time ago. I kept my ovaries, but
My OBGYN said that in some people the ovaries will shut down and stop working because lack of blood supply from uterus, so a few may go into early menopause.

In the December 2011 issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University researchers corroborated what many physicians have felt for many years, namely younger women who underwent hysterectomy had an approximate 2x increased incidence of early menopause.

While the exact mechanism is not known, it is felt to occur from disrupting the ovarian blood flow during surgery (which allows the uterus to be removed surgically). This disruption causes early ovarian failure and therefore early menopause.

Take Care,

Nikki
Thank you for your response, No, I have not had these levels checked , nor do I go to an Endocrinologist. I will be going to the doctor and will ask these questions regarding DHEA/cortisol levels. I am trying the  higher protein and lower carbs right now and  more frequent exercise(3 miles on treadmill daily.)

Thank you,
Robyn