Weight Loss & Dieting Community
CHALLENGE: NEW YEAR; NEW YOU

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

CHALLENGE: NEW YEAR; NEW YOU

As we leave the old year behind, and begin a New Year, it's appropriate that we leave our old challenge behind, and kick off a new one.  

We want this to be your best, most successful year yet; therefore, the title for our challenge is NEW YEAR; NEW YOU.  

We will run this challenge until approximately mid March. Signing up is as easy as posting your current weight and your goal on this thread.  If you desire to do so, you are welcome to post your ideas/plans for reaching your goal.  I'm going to suspend the "Sunday Weigh in" for the time being, but will still post a weekly thread, in which we can discuss what went right, and what went wrong; what's keeping you motivated, or what's causing you to crash.  

You may set your goal(s) to whatever you think you can achieve.  You may want to make one large goal, or several smaller ones; the decision is up to you.  I only ask that you keep your goal(s) healthy.  

Anyone is welcome join the challenge and/or weekly discussion, at any time.

I encourage everyone to implement as many of the trackers here on MH, as you feel would be helpful for you. It might be helpful to keep a journal; in which you can write down whatever issues you have, that may be hindering your weight loss; OR often it helps to write down what's helping you, so you can keep your success in sight.  

Wishing everyone the best of luck.

Okay --  READY, SET ........................... GO  

Here we go -- I'll be first to jump in and get wet!!  

I’ve said many times that I don’t make New Year’s resolutions anymore, because I tend not to stick with them; I’m still not making a “formal” resolution; however, I know I have to make some definite changes in my eating/exercise habits.

My goal for the Maintain; Don’t Gain challenge that we just ended was to maintain between 145 and 147 lbs; I did not do that.  I actually gained 5 pounds; now I have to struggle to get it back off, plus get back to moving in the right direction.

I’m going to make my goals small, because I believe smaller goals are easier to achieve, since they don’t seem so “daunting”.  

My goal to start with, is to lose 5 pounds by January 31, 2011.  

I have not formulated my entire plan; however, I am working on getting everything organized and ready to go.  In the meantime, I’m going to stock my fridge with foods of which any “diet” will approve.  I’m also going to buy a kitchen scale and for the time being will weigh my food in order to come up with the right portion sizes.

Having been off work for the past 2 weeks, I have not been exercising, either, so that will be a major goal.  I will go back to work on Monday and get back into “the routine”.  

So – here, I go……………… hoping that by the end of Jan, I will be 5 pounds smaller.

I am in for 7 pounds loss .. basically by no more snacks!
Hi there,
I am aiming for about 6 to 7 lbs as well. Currently 130. I have been eating WAY too much take out and unhealthy food and not enough exercise at all!
I want to lose about 4lbs a monththat will put me within a few pounds of my ideal weeight by the end of the year, i did so well up till a few months ago when everything started to go wrong, im ok when i see results but if i dont lose i get very discouraged,
my plan is
1)be more positive instead of looking at not losing im going to look at it as not gaining, if i do gain then i will just see it as a hiccup and not a failure,

2)I work at the gym but have not used it since i started in september, so i am going to arrive there early and do a work out before i start work,

3) i am going back to weighing my food this worked for me before, what i eat normally is not a problem, portion control is my biggest problem
hopefully these steps will help
i would like to lose 10 pounds by valentines day. i weighed in at 242.5 mid october, and this morning i was 212. im looking for 1-2 pounds a week. i have also been exercising less, for several reasons, mainly being sick, or a child getting sick etc., so i'm starting back up with my exercise, and i have been a little bit slack with my diet so i need to start being more consicous with what i am eating. for exercise i want to start running again, i'm also getting that just dance 2 game for the wii. its sooo much fun. i played it with my best friend last week, and we must've played for an hour or more, i had to take a quick water break in between while we chose another song, i was sweating as bad as i do when i go running, and when i woke up the next morning my entire body was sore! but it was really fun, even though i was so tired from doing it, i just didn't want to stop playing. i'm going to definitely add this to my daily cardio workouts!
I'm in!!  Was able to 'maintain not gain' over the holidays so now I'm trying for 5 pounds off by January 31.  Healthy eating, good thoughts, exercise and engaging in pleasant activities with family and friends.  2011 has got to be a better year than 2010 - and so far so good!
Weigh in at 212lbs on Jan. 2, 2011. By Valentines day, I would like to be 190. Best of luck to everyone!
im in i want to lose at least 10 of these pounds by the end of january
I don't have a scale just now (believe I'm around 210) but hope to lose 10 pounds by March.  I will be in my own home by the end of this month which will help.  I am in the midst of weaning off the Lyrica which put so much weight on me and once done that will be getting rid of the antidepressants.  In my new home I'll be set up to exercise and am so determined to do this.
I'm at 140 and I hope to be around 130-135 by mid-March and keep it off for the summer. I've started back working out regularly and eating better. I did not follow any plan during the holidays except to maintain..
I'm 25 years old and have struggled wth my weight over the years, fluctuating from 18 - 14 - 22/24. I also have polycystic ovary syndrome which does prooves dificult trying to loose weight. I did go on Orilstat for a few months and then stop, this was around jan 09 - april 09 i came of as 1 i was worried of other potential side effects and the second reason because i felt i wasn't loosing anything. However my doc has told me, after my many concerns with the increasing weight, that once i had seen the dietician she will put me back on orilstat to asist with the support of loosing weight. I am 17st 6 and would like to get down to the lowest i have been in the past which was 12 stone (uk size 14) by  january 2012.I would like to think 2011 will be the year of major changes. I also plan to get a nintendo wii as i have heard great reviews on helping to loose weight, seeming that i hate going to the gym this wii may do more good than harm.I also graduate in 2012 and want to look good and feel good for when i graduate. I also would like kids in the next few years, preferably before am 30 yrs old. Also with having PCOS this will prove dificult, but if i have lost the weight i may not have problems that i may have if i'm still classed as obese by the time i do want kids.

Jen
Hi, I successfully lost about 20kg 2 years ago, then fell pregnant, didn't gain weight, which was a God send, but then the tiredness of a newborn bub kicked in and I didn't jsut gain my 20kg back I gained a whopping 30kg, and need all the help I can get to lose it, as I am no longer working as disability support worker which was really physical and a job I loved wehre I was dancing twice a week swimming or doing some form of sport another and doing a enormous amount of walking.  With a bub I'm finding it really hard to do enough exercise as I love my swimming, and love mywalks and she doesn't, and I can't leave ehr with anyone yet, Im not ready for that.  

So my plan is to go on a Low GI diet which worked really well for me before, drink heaps of water, and play lots and lots of physical games with my little one and hopefully I'll burn enough calories.  My goal is to lose enough weight to safely become pregnant again, and hpefully not fall into the same trap of comfort eating when tired.

and my current weight is 102kg
I'd like to join this group as I think the idea of help each other is great. I'l starting with a small goal 1st, when I make it I will continue on. I will be 125lbs by 2-1-11.

I am small 4'11.5" so weight has been a issue with me. About 7 years ago I went from 160lbs to 127lbs and stayed steady. My doctor encouage me to go get the stomach "flab" off because there was nothing else to do with it but have this tire. I did and was doing great at 110-115lbs feeling great. But this past year I have put on weight and feel horrid. I know it is because of my job (lost my position when I went on vacation, they moved me 1st day back) but money being what it is I can't change. I'm working on classes to be able to change & running again to handle the depression.

"I will conquer this & learn from it"
I am weighing in at 233. I would like to lose about 2 pounds a week. I plan to lose at least 50 pounds this year. I lost 50 last year, but fell off my healthy eating and gained about 13 of those pounds back. So count me in! My first step will be getting back into my daily walking.
Sorry wanted to add this to my post
i am 140, and would like to be 130 by march....good luck everyone! xx
I am here for the long run.. I am aiming to lose around 60 lbs overall, and I know it's not going to be easy. It's going to require a lot of motivation, time and hard work. When I started my diet/exercise plan, Jan 11, I weighed 196 pounds. (Which in itself is a huge difference from what I was in Sept of last year.. I weighed 206 lbs. this past September). I've only been at it for 2 days and am down to 192 pounds.. My goal is to get down to around 135-145 pounds by April. I'm assuming the weight I've lost so far is merely water weight, and once the real weight starts coming off, I assume it will be at a much slower rate.. But hey.. Weight loss is weight loss, right? I'm happy to see a difference already. I am currently taking the Special K Challenge.. and so far I LOVE it! the only advice I have to anyone else wanting to try it.. It to drink lots and lots of water.. Sip on water all throughout the day so that there is always something in your stomach.. and especially 15 minutes prior to eating your meals, drink a glass of water.. This will make you feel fuller quicker then you normally would, and will allow you to feel satisfied. My calorie intake so far has been just over 1000 calories/day.. but the diet is high in protein and fiber. I have also been exercising at home.. Doing squats and workout DVD's.. I feel great.. and have so much more energy then I did 2 days ago.. I love this feeling. Good luck to everyone! May we ALL achieve our goals this year!
I have been close to the same weight for 40 years, which was fine when I was younger but not as well at 77, I would like to drop from present of 180 to 170. My biggest problem is i love my sweets and its hard to cut them out. I'm not a big eater but the tea and cakes are my downfall. I will make a serious try starting now. I don't have a deadline for this but want to start now ans slowly drop.
I'm so happy to have found this site!  Now I can be accountable to someone.
That makes a HUGE difference for me.  
Right now I weigh 136.5.
I need to lost aboutabout 12- 15 lbs.

I lost 30 lbs last year eating the following:
Diet was sparse but doable.
2 fruits a day - no berries, pref apples
lean protein for lunch and dinner
only certain vegetables (to be had w/ lunch and dinner) 2 potatoes a day are OK
lots lots lots of water
cut caffeine intake in half
NO DAIRY OR SUGAR

I am starting today to follow this again as of NOW.
Even though I don't "feel like" changing my habits, I really really need and want to.  I am going to take that part of me that wants the fat and sugar and hold it by the hand. I will lead it with wisdom and maturity and LOGIC and show that voice that there actually is a better way to get true happiness ( not instant gratification that just leads to self hatred).
I did it last year.  I'll do it again starting now.  
Ideally I would love to change my habits long term.  One day at a time.(not in a 12 step program).

MANTRA:  fat and sugar are NOT my friends.
Well a few days of tracking what I eat and started to jog again. It is a start so I will keep at it one day at a time
I've jsut read everyone's comments, and I must say a big thank you, I'm struggling today to stay away from the junk food that was given to me for Christmas,it's also my hubby's, and I keep it as a treat, but I'm tired with a sick baby, and I want to comfort eat.  But after reading your posts I feel as though I don't want to go backwards, that's not where I'm heading I need to lose this weight, and I have been I've lost 0.8kg already, probably fluid but it still feels good.  So thank you for keeping me on the straight and narrow.
I have 100 lbs to lose but I know that this is a huge amount so I am breaking it down. My first goal is to participate in lunchtime exercise classes at work and eat smaller portions. I have the extra challenge in that I am on a low residue diet; which means that I am very restricted in fruits, veg and whole grains.

My other goal is that I don't want to beat myself up if I mess up occassionally
Baby steps for all & we are only human when we mess up but THAT IS OK :) the next meal or snack comes you just adjust. Little goals are the best and better to keep you (us) on track. When you make a little goal say 5lbs you hit it then you are excited to make the next and before you know it "Your There". So....All keep stepping along with each other we will get there with everyone's help.
im 176lbs and trying for 130lbs by 1st feb i know a difficult target but i think i can achieve it by being careful on my diet execise is not possible for me so can only depend on diet any suggestion --most welcome pl help me by motivating me love tyo hear from u all by wish u all a happy start
I "HATE WEEKENDS" cause all I do is graze & veggie out in front of the computor or read my book. I can't get the energy to get up & do anything around the house or even go out somewhere. By the time Saturday morning comes I am so tired from working all week that there is no energy to do anything else.

Any thoughts as to how to INCREASE the energy level & getting me moving on the weekends.
I weigh 109kg and I hope to be 75 by march. It's frustrating using d weighing scale. I watch what I eat now, no more soft drinks and junk foods, more of normal healthy foods and vegetables.
Hello everyone. My name is Krysie. I have been at MedHelp for 1 month, and just today found this forum. I was diagnosed a month ago with type 2 diabetes, and was told that I have to loose weight. When I was diagnosed I weighed over 240 and now I am weighing in at 228. I am really excited about this. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and watch my carb intake. My goal is to loose 8 more lbs by March 17, 2011 because that is my 5 year anniversary. I do my yoga for 30 to 40 minutes 3 times a week. I plan on walking more as well. I have asthma, so exercising is difficult for me.
I haven't lost anymore weight this week but i am feeling fantastic, I have walked 9times this week for an hour or more, and intend on going tomorrow I went swimming today with my little one and hubby in tow, we all had fun, and got home and played on the borrowed wii which is fantastic by the way am definately considering getting one of my own didn't feel as though I was working out even though I felt the muscles working, it was pretty much just fun, wich is what I'm used to i Anyway keep up the good work and enjoy the journey.
Hi everyone,
I'm in for this for sure. My name is John and as others have already stated I've been dealing with weight problems for a while; 10 years to be exact.
What got me here? Well that's a combination of having a sedentary job at a computer, and for the past 10 years coming home from work and doing full time college. During that time I ended up not working out, basically not doing much of anything but hit the books.

I ended up having sleep apnea and a low acting thyroid which just exasperated the issue. Then came on Diabetes II and low Thyroid output. What a whack job I became. So here I am with all this garbage and its time to get my health back. I'm outta college now, have the free time but need the support. Hopefully I can find it here.

My goals, simple. Continue to eat the diabetic way, start to exercise again at least 3 times a week and try to lose 1-4 lbs a week. What's my ideal weight goal? Be wonderful to be down to 190 again. So here goes it.

Welcome to everyone who has recently signed up.  Don't forget to watch for the weigh in each week on Sunday morning; that's when we let each other know how we've done for the previous week and what our goal will be for the new week.  

Well I gained this week and I think it's due to the soft drink I drank I kind of really like the stuff almost tot he point of addiction, whcih is scarey but it's the only thing I did differently.  So this week no soft drink, and we'll see what happens.  Wishing you all good luck with your journeys it's monday for me here in Australia I figure it must be Sunday now where ever you are all from as no one has put their sunday weigh in in yet, either that or I'm at trhe wrong place, as I am new to this it is possible.
I just recently joined this site and would like to get in on the "challenge" also, if it is not too late.  I currently weigh 239.0 and started my doctor's weight loss program which consist of low calorie, low fat and low carb.  Before Christmas I lost from 251.0 to 223.0 and stopped going so now I am back on track.  It is amazing how easy weight can creep back on you so fast, so I know this is a lifestyle change I need to make.  My goal at the end of February is 215.  The program works if I will stick to it so I need prayers and support.  Thank you!
I wish you the best of luck... if you need support I am here, and I know everyone else is here for you too. :D Good luck!
First off, its okay that you gained alittle, weight will always fluctuate... I know how you feel about the addiction to soda... I caved yesterday and had 18 oz of sprite zero. I can only drink zero cal soda's due to my diabetes but don't really like diet. :/ so ya... also i wanted to let you know that the sunday weigh in thread is on the main forum. It says something like... "Sunday Weigh In January 23, 2011" except ya know, the date changes! :D anyway... good luck for this week... If you need some support just send me a message... :D
Hi Lacey hang in there. You are doing the right thing. Get involved get committed and come here often. I've struggled for a very long time but I'm here again and that's all that matters. Have a great week.
I'm in! I want to weigh 220 by the end of February.
Hi, this is Jennifer.  I'm new to this community.  I am currently 217.8 and would like to be 160 by the end of the year.  I just started a doctor managed weigh program and hope it works.  My short term goal is to lose 8-10 lbs this first week and 15-20 this first month.  Good luck everyone!
Hey jen, sounds like some good agressive goals you have. I'm sure in no time you'll have what you are looking for. Good luck.
Tks. Good luck to you too.  This is the first time I've tried a doctor managed weight program.  I have to go in every week. I get B12 shots, appetite suppressants, also I think chromium and magnesium (can't remember).  The first part of the diet is 5 meal replacement shakes.  Today is my first day.  I didn't cheat.  I'm so happy.  I have never made it a day without cheating in some way or fashion.  I made the family dinner without snacking on it as I went and even managed to avoid the treats that were set out at work.  Drinking the water is tough, but I've only got 2 more glasses to go tonight.  Good luck everyone.
I've never heard of getting B12 shots for losing weight. I take B12 supplements in large doses prescribed by my doc but they don't seem to help manage my weight too well. And appetite suppressants. What are those? I wasn't aware that they had those actually. Other than some gimicks you see on TV or the internet. Be good if they worked. Please let us know how they do for you. It sounds exciting though. And yes water can be difficult to drink especially if you normally don't.  Stay with it!
The B12 shots are to help give me energy.  I figured out that the meal replacement shakes are only 100 calories each so its a pretty drastic change.  The appetite suppressants work kind of like that ephedrine type of stuff, but not bad for you like that.  They increase my heart rate a little, but nothing drastic.  The Dr. said most people don't need them.  They also offer supplements to help carb cravings... 5-HTP and Carbidopa.  If this diet doesn't work I'm thinking of trying that HCG diet.
Took a week off not tracking myself and of course didn't stay on track well. It shows me that I really need to think before I eat as to "Why?" do I want to eat. If I know I need to write it down then the think better before I make the decision to put the "treat" in my mouth. I always tell myself it is a "small" piece or something to make myself feel ok about snacking. My hardest times seem to be 10am & 3pm at work and all my co-workers don't care about their weight. Then they keep telling me I don't need to diet. They don't understand the the long struggle to get where I'm at and I feel my self slipping back to the old habits which is what made a 5' women at 165lbs really does look like a blueberry. I got down to a 115lbs and stayed there for 5 yrs had stomach surgery & now find myself back up to 133lbs and it scares me that I will keep going. This web site I hope will be my sounding board and keep me in check better.

So, everyday is a new day for me to make a change for the better.
I know how frustrating it can be to have diet saboteurs around you.  Sometimes its my family, sometimes its my friends at work.  Believe in yourself.  I know you have the strength to stick to your goals.  Good luck this week and try and stay positive.
Welcome to all you newcomers - it's never too late to join this party!!  

jenandjon: I agree that your goals are pretty aggressive.  Losing 8-10 lbs/week is not healthy for you, even if it's a doctor supervised program.  Worst part is that weight lost with that type of program (or the HCG), usually comes back once you stop the program.  We'd love to help lose by making some simple lifestyle changes that you can stick with.  

I just thought I'd lose that the first week because of dropping water weight etc.  I'm hoping to lose 2-4 lbs a week after that.  The Dr.'s program I'm on is a three phase program.  Its full replacement in Phase 1.  Phase 2 is two meal replacements and one nutrious well-balanced meal.  Then Phase 3 you can do their modified diet, but I'm planning on switching to South Beach Diet after that because I've done that before and I think its a very healthy way to eat.

Wishing everyone a great week.
Hello all, I am in 2 by mid march I want to 253 at 274 right now so thats 21lbs,  I am already down 14 but that was from when I was 288,  I have just started eating more fruits and veggies and staying w/in 1200-1400 cal a day,  Good luck to everyone on there goals
i wish you the best of luck. i know how it feels to be in the 200's. im here for support if you need it.

i also want to apologize to everyone about disappearing this week, lots is going on, including my new job. but im getting back on track... hope everyone is well. love, krysie
jenandjon - Good luck with your phased program. Sounds like it is working for you. So happy for that.

And hi giggles! Glad to have you here with us. You have some great goals there so wish you all the strength to stick with it.

Krysie, you have been absent. Bad girl!  Ha Ha. But I know you've been busy and hope your job is doing fantastic. Life is like that ya know. Things get in the way to try and ruin our plans but we just have to get back up and try it again.
Hand in there everyone. We can do it.
Well I had my weigh in yesterday at the doctor and I'm down 4lbs.  That makes 10 total for the first two weeks.  A little off my goal of 12-13 for two weeks, but not bad.  I'm going to start temping in the morning because I think I may have some thyroid problems that haven't been detected.  Good luck everyone!!!
205.5 down 1.6.  Cheated for Valentine's Day.  Bad me.
    I am back visiting Medhelp after a long time. My start weight was 71 kgs . Now am 69 kgs. Just 2 kgs down. But I hope it is a good start. I have started on a diet. Basically low carbs, more veggeies and fruits.I stopped exercising since after my diet I feel pretty hungry all the time.

I need to loose 1kg/monthand arrive at 59 kgs by Jan 2012.Do help me with suggestions.

Thank You,