Weight Loss & Dieting Community
CHALLENGE POST - Want to know???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

CHALLENGE POST - Want to know???

Last night on the evening news, I heard it was a landmark day for obesity, but it was not good news.  Obesity has reached an all time high in the U.S. and more than 50% of the adult population is now medically deemed "obese" along with 33% of our children.  This is a health crisis and diseases like heart disease, cancer and diabetes are rampant as a result of obesity.

This should help motivate us to make a difference in our lives by staying here and working together!!!  Just think of the change it will make in our lives and the lives of our family and friends.

ONE MORE THING .. and it validates my personal philosophy .. Bob Greene (Oprah's personal trainer) was featured on Rachel Ray yesterday and stated that OUR OUTLOOK and THOUGHT PROCESS is the MOST IMPORTANT key to our weight loss efforts.  

If we think about it, we can see there is truth in that.  Personally, I worked in the medical field most of my life and "knew" the facts and I still lost and regained ... over and over.  It was only when I began doing the personal work and challenging my THOUGHTS that I was ultimately successful.  Watch for the homework assignments ... let's learn and do this together ... with baby steps.

What do you think???  Would certainly like to hear your thoughts ...

Warmest wishes ..
That... is frightening! But there's always hope and if even half of us change, that's 25% less people in the obesity range. Let's do it!
I agree!! This is outta control!! It breaks my heart to see children overweight like 4yrs old and they cant run up and down steps or play with other kids!! That should NOT happen children are supposed to be hyper and bouncing around and playing with other kids interacting!! Maybe I have a bad outlook but i do NOT agree to obesity being a disability I only see it as choice cus you are the one choosing to eat all that bad stuff but i have not been there either. But on the part of changing yes lets all do it!! We ALL need to start making those changes toward a better lifestyle change!!
"Personally, I worked in the medical field most of my life and "knew" the facts and I still lost and regained ... over and over.  It was only when I began doing the personal work and challenging my THOUGHTS that I was ultimately successful."

To quote you, Ranae, it IS a challenge to my thoughts!  But one I am willing to undertake!  If I THINK about it, it is encouraging, too.  I've already done most of the physical part...

Thank you!
I myself am obese.  It is a huge part of my 2009 goal to lose 30 more pounds and LEAVE that club!

I agree that changing your attitude plays a critical role in evolving oneself out of well-established negative behavior such as emotional eating, lack of exercise, and negative internal dialogue.  

It's been said in other posts, but I know my problem was that I felt so far gone, I just gave up.  It felt better to indulge than to accept responsibility, even though I was undermining my self-esteem AND my health.  Accepting that fatalistic thinking, that I COULD NOT change, was a ticket on an express downward spiral (or UPward, from the scale's point of view).  

Accepting responsibility and becoming accountable are difficult, on-going goals.  Positive Attitude, Affirmation, Support, and Friends are there for the taking and sharing.  People who use tools and avenues afforded them have an easier time through life, so jump in and actively contribute to the mental side.  

I'll end my thoughts for now with a little story.  Yesterday, I had a doctor's appointment, which included my not-so-favorite trip onto the scale.  I explained how I'd been losing weight, but was a bit "stuck" these last few months.  I told the doc how I didn't gain over the holidays, and was exercising as I could, and not giving up.  As I took my heavy coat off, my doctor exclaimed "Well, you LOOK GOOD!!!"  Wow, it had been a LONG TIME since I heard THAT from an MD!  My doctor went on to tell me that my attitude will serve me well in getting the most out of my health.

Looking forward to reading more about what others think...

Wonko, what a great story!  Hearing things like that are the best motivators to keep us moving forward and downwards.  I do know that the brain is where the problem is.  I have such an adversion to exercise as do all my relatives.  I have the time (no children at home and not working) but still struggle to do this regularly.  I need to work at scheduling this and making it happen.
How nice to have a caring doc    :)
Oh, wonko!  I'm so glad you shared that with us!  I'm sure we'd all agree!!!  You DO look good.  We're all so proud of you - esp. your attitude.