Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Carbs?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Carbs?

What is the recommended number of carbs to eat per day? I am using a calorie counter and I am good there, but not sure how many carbs per day will equal weight loss???

Thanks!
Well I think a low carb diet is anywhere from 25-50 carbs a day. I think depending on your weight now and height and with your activity level you have to check out what amount you need to start losing weight.
When counting carbs for effective weight loss, 50 is about the max. This would involve eliminating all sugar and flour by-products, which is why it's such a difficult way to lose weight. But, it's worked for me.
That is definalty not going to work for me lol Is staying under a max calorie count effective?
This is just my opinion here, but carbs are not the enemy when it comes to weight loss. At least they don't have to be. I've never been into the whole low carb craze and always knew it would be a way of life I would never be able to stick with for the rest of my life. Personally, I have anywhere in the mid to late 100's and sometimes even well into the low 200g carbs a day and have for the last year and a half and yet I've lost 165 lbs. I lost my weight by exercising and counting calories. Losing weight is really just a simple math equation and comes down to calories in vs calories out. In order to lose weight, you have to burn more than you consume. People lose weight on low carb diets because whether or not they realize it, they're consuming less calories. High carb foods (cereal, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugary snacks) tend to be quite calorie dense so a very modest portion can end up being pretty caloric. So when people cut back or out on these types of foods, they tend to load up on foods that are lower in calories (most of the time) so they do actually end up eating restricted calories to some degree even if they arent adamently tracking their calorie intake.

The quality of your calories and carbs do make a difference though so I cut back on most processed packaged foods and eat as many whole or real foods as possible. Lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, low fat or fat free dairy, lean protein etc and so on. I still have plenty of bread, cereal, pasta and so on every day, I just try not to overdo it and I fill up on vegetables whenever I can. What's worked for me is finding a healthy balance and figuring out a lifestyle that I'll be able to keep up with forever and I've just never thought it was a good idea to eliminate or severely restrict an entire food group. I know low-carb works for a lot of people so if that's something you think you'd be able to stick with for the long haul then give it a try. Just from a personal stand point, I think the healthiest and most sane approach is to eat most of the foods I love in moderation and to eat a variety of healthy choices from each food group.
Thanks for the information!!! I am really cutting my calories. I am on day 3 and feel great :-)
Yeah counting carbs is a hard thing to follow because there are so many items from the food groups you have to stay away from. Honestly the best choice is to watch you fat content and calorie counting. Also just keep an eye on how much sugar and sodium is in the products you consume. Just because it's healthy or low fat doesnt me it should have a ton of sugar or salt in it. Good luck!