Weight Loss & Dieting Community
"Crash and Burn"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

"Crash and Burn"

I wanted to share with everyone about the class I'm enrolled in at the YMCA.  It's titled the "burn and sculpt" but, we like to call it the "crash and burn".  There are two other ladies I know from our playdate group in the class as well.  It is an hour long class that is a mix of aerobic, weights, kickboxing, pilates, and some yoga at the end.  We do about ten minutes of high energy (aerobic, kickboxing) then do five minutes of slower (weights, pilates) throughout the whole class.  It's killer...I love having other women I know in the class so, we help keep each other accountable.  My only personal issue is that I'm the "biggest" of the other two ladies.  I know that this shouldn't be an issue but, I just can't help myself.  
It's a great class and the instructor is fantastic, very involved making sure we get the coordination down!! ;) I did have a question as well...I absolutely despise the "slow down" part at the end of the workout.  It seems like a complete waste of time.  I just can't seem to sit still for all that "breathing and relaxing".  Is this actuallly something I need to participate in or can I just leave??
It's sounds like a good class!! and I think the slow down part is good you would be amazed but going fast then slow then fast it really  does work!! I have tried the slim and lean from jari love and its the same you do slow reps then fast then slow and OMG you can feel that working!! Plus slow down is good to let your heart catch a breather too! I dont think its a waste at all and if you like then keep going to it!! and dont focus on being the biggest person there just focus on urself and ur goals and what ur there to accomplish!!
The slowdown is important for bringing your heart rate back down to normal, helping to relax your muscles, etc.  And I think it also helps get you in a different frame of mind.  I'd say "keep doing it".  

As for being the biggest person there - goku is right - just focus on YOU and why you are there, what you want to accomplish, etc.  Enjoy it and don't worry about anyone but YOU.  

Good luck - it sounds like fun..
I was a fitness instructor at the YMCA for almost 2 years - and attended training workshops.  The slowdown is important for all the reasons mentioned above.  It not only brings down your heart rate, but insures against muscle strains and pulls.  

I am thinking that this time in your class includes stretching, even though you said "breathing and relaxing"...?  Studies have NOW proven that the time to stretch is NOT before you exercise!!!  Think about it.  Before you exercise, your muscles are COLD.  Stretching could severely damage your muscles.  Stretching is ideally performed AFTER exercise - and SHOULD be practiced.  You maximize all the good work you just accomplished!  (We're all going for that long, lean look - stretch, baby, stretch!!!  There are now whole classes built around JUST stretching - it's phenomenal!)

By the way, there always should be a warm up, it's just a slower version of whatever your work-out is going to be: if you're going to power walk, you start out a tad slower...

I hope this helps.
Thanks Angelinthemorning .. for sharing the "burn and sculpt" / "crash and burn" class details with us!  That sounds fantastic!!!   I want to play and participate with that as well!!  Wonder if we could work on doing this as a group .. as one of the exercise challenges?  We'd have to ask you to describe each part of the exercise so we can all participate!  Perhpas it is something we can build on each day .. like do Step 1 - Day 1 and then Step 1 and 2 - Day 2 and so on!

Twehner .. can you help us on this?????

As for being the biggest one in the class .. well .. I completely understand how you can feel a little intimidated or self conscious.  When I first went to the gym at 330 lbs, I felt that way too!  However, I tried to change my way of thinking.  Rather than feeling a little apprehensive and self conscious .. I began to view myself as courageous and adventurous!  I also began to hold my head up straight and walked with a newfound pride!  My goodness, look at me!  I wasn't hiding behind my weight anymore .. I was out there being courageous, facing my fears and doing something constructive about it!  Changing my thought process changed my life and has allowed me to do many things I previously would not have done.  It can do the same for YOU!!!  

And, guess what???   When I smiled and walked tall at the gym, those skinny people were more than happy to help me .. especially if I asked them if they could show me this machine or how they were doing a particular exercise.  It was great.  

As for the cool down .. yes .. it is important for you to participate in that as well.  It allows your muscles to slow down /cool down gradually and let your heart rate return to normal.  It provides some stretches that helps your muscles not get sore or cramped.

BTW -- We are all SO PROUD of YOU and what you are accomplishing!!!  Extremely well done!!!  Now, be sure and chart this on your exercise tracker!