Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Diet Question

A community of people interested in weight loss and dieting. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: balanced menus, popular diets, exercise, metabolism, healthy snacks, nutrition, and weight loss surgery.

Diet Question

Ok so my question is: should you be hungry while dieting? Also, I am a teenage girl I'm in my early teens. Is a 935 calorie diet bad for me? Please help
Avatar n tn
yes!! I'm in my early teens too. For a teen we definitely need more calories than that. We are considered to still be growing. I think you should have at least a 1300 calorie diet (or more) . its better, and don't forget you're going to exercise, so you're going to burn it off anyways.
No, you should not have to be hungry all the time while dieting.

I agree with tamaroo, young teens are still growing and developing and it's necessary to get enough calories and nutrients to develop properly and be healthy.  

You can't just pick a number of calories to eat every day.  Your body has to have so many calories every day, just to stay alive, depending on your current size.  You need to figure out how many calories/day you need.  This is a calculation, based on current weight, height, age and level of activity.  

I can help you both with this, if you'd like......  Of course, you'll have to talk to whomever does the cooking in your house to make sure you get the right kinds of foods to be healthy.  For instance, you can eat 3.8 candy bars and come up with a total calorie consumption of 935 calories, but that's far from healthy, because it's all sugar and fat and will cause weight gain, not loss.
yes! you need a minimum of 1200 calories.
I agree you need a few hundred more cals per day, but disagree about hunger.  That is our clue that we are hungry.  To always feel satiety is a sure way for pounds to creep up and then we wonder why.  
It's normal and okay to "get" hungry, it's  not normal and okay to eat so little that you "stay" hungry all the time.  Keeping oneself in a constant state of hunger, as in not eating enough, puts a lot of stress on the body and doesn't necessarily cause body fat to be used for energy.

Teenagers are still growing and developing and extreme dieting can cause menstrual, as well as other issues, later on.  
I have just started to get used to my new diet. I am eating very healthy foods every 3 hours and I do not feel hungry anymore! Thanks for your help!
Track your weight over time