Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Do I weigh too much?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Do I weigh too much?

My sister is 13, she thinks she weighs too much. She's 5 feet and weighs 156 pounds. She's sort of a stubby girl, she literally has big bones. She's really muscular looking, like my mom. And she hates how much she weighs. What's your opinion on it?
Tags: Weight
At age 13 and 5' tall, 156 is a bit much for weight; I'd have look it up, but she should probably be closer to 95-115 lbs depending on bone structure.

Big bones?  Are her hands/feet extra large for the rest of her size? Are her shoulders/hips really wide?

Is your sister active?  What type of diet does she eat?
I am 17 and weigh 160, I love my thick but fit body. I'm active and athletic. As long as your sister doesn't look, feel, or be told by a doctor that she is morbidly obese than she is ok.
One doesn't have to be morbidly obese, to be unhealthily overweight.
She is still young but I'm5 foot 1 and my ideal weighty is 110 to 131 she could be headed your a growth spert or could be hormonal as long as she stays active and cuts back on the junk food she's fine if she its worried have you're mom take her to your Dr to get a recommended diet plan
She is a little pudgy girl, seriously. She does have broad shoulders and wide hips like our mom. She is pretty active and eats pretty healthy. She's only worried about her weighing too much when she's older since she weighs that much now.
An overweight child is more likely to become an overweight adult, than a child who is not overweight and runs the risk of the health hazards that accompany being overweight.

At 13, she has a lot of growing to do.  It's entirely possible that she will grow taller, which could slim her down, in the long run.

Keep in mind, too, at this point, your sister might also be susceptible to developing an eating disorder, such as anorexia or bulimia, if she becomes obsessed with her weight.  

At her age the biggest difference she can make is to eliminate any junk food from her diet, such as sodas, chips, candy, pastries, etc. Ask your parents to be sure there are plenty of fresh veggies and try to switch to whole grains, fat free dairy, etc.  Fruit should be limited to 1-2 servings/day and opt for whole fruit over juices.

It's always important to watch portion sizes and to keep active.  

You might also suggest that she be taken to the doctor to make sure she doesn't have an underlying medical condition, which could affect metabolism, such as hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, etc.
Well Meghan, that's her name, most likely does have something wrong with her thyroid. And she has asthma, and she takes singulair, she has bad allergies, she just has a lot going on with her body. And I think she has the same problem as my mom, they eat too much. We eat healthy, very healthy. But when they eat they don't stop until all their food is gone, and I continuously tell them, eat until your full, or get a small portion like me, cause I don't eat a whole lot, but enough to get full, and they try but I guess they have a hard time with it.

I'm 5'3" and I weigh 135. My sister is 5' and she weighs 156. She always gets mad at me cause she doesn't understand why I stay skinnier than her,  My dad's side of the family tends to stay skinnier than the people on my mom's side, so maybe I got my dad's metabolism? I don't know,
Thyroid issues can make it nearly impossible to lose weight. I have hypothyroidism and I struggle with my weight, also, because the thyroid controls metabolism and when it doesn't work right, metabolism isn't right either. We still have to be responsible for what, and how much, we eat.

Even healthy food can be unhealthy in too large portions. Vegetables are just about the only food that can be consumed, in nearly unlimited quantities, without adding a lot of calories.  But then that, too, depends on what's on, or mixed with, the veggies....... rich sauces, butter, cheese, etc can make the number of calories jump up in a hurry.

I would suggest that your sister (and maybe even your mom) be tested for both hypothyroidism and insulin resistance.  For hypothyroidism, they need to have TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 tested.  They should also be tested for thyroid antibodies.
I'll tell them to get on that, thank you so much!:)
Best of luck and I hope you'll keep us posted on progress.