Does Anafranil cause weight gain??
Hi there, my psychiatrist just prescribed anafranil for me to take for my ocd and depression. My only concern is that I don't want to gain weight. So does Anafranil cause weight gain? If so, why is that the case? I'm currently taking 80mg of celexa and 1 mg of klonopin but I have not gained weight from these medications. I'm scared of taking anafranil because I've been reading that it causes weight gain! Please please help me! Thanks!

Vicky
Yes, like most tricyclic and SSRI's  weight gain is a common side effect.  You cannot generally count on doctors taking the time to give you all of the information to make an informed choice, and many of the websites  regarding pharmas are by pharma.  And that who is making money if you take it.  When they state the side effects, weight gain is included, however, they minimize the implications of the side effects.  That is great that you did not gain weight from celexa, some people do.  I found that Wellbutrin for depression was the only drug that did not make me gain weight.  Many of these drugs are not used appropriately for what the studies indicate.  OCD?  They prescribed you anfranil for OCD?  HMMM.  Also, please see following:  

Suicidality and Antidepressant Drugs

Antidepressants increased the risk compared to placebo of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults in short-term studies of major depressive disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of clomipramine hydrochloride or any other antidepressant in a child, adolescent, or young adult must balance this risk with the clinical need. Short-term studies did not show an increase in the risk of suicidality with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults beyond age 24; there was a reduction in risk with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults aged 65 and older. Depression and certain other psychiatric disorders are themselves associated with increases in the risk of suicide. Patients of all ages who are started on antidepressant therapy should be monitored appropriately and observed closely for clinical worsening, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior. Families and caregivers should be advised of the need for close observation and communication with the prescriber. Clomipramine hydrochloride is not approved for use in pediatric patients except for patients with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) (see WARNINGS: Clinical Worsening and Suicide Risk, PRECAUTIONS: Information for Patients, and PRECAUTIONS: Pediatric Use).

This was on a pharma website.  Can you imagine what the truth may be?  

Jen :)
I have been taking clomipramine for a little over a year now.the meds def helped my ocd but caused A LOT of weight gain. i gained about 70 pounds over the past year. aloso makes u sleepy
Does it make you gain weight because of the medicine istself?
or because it just increases your appetite?