Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Doing great with meal planning etc but still binge eating...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Hi everyone, I have been dieting for the past few months and have lost nearly 20lbs at a steady pace. I'm happier and most of the time I am motivated to continue, however about twice a week I slip into old habits late at night and binge on junk food until I feel sick. I could consume a thousand calories in one sitting. I end up feeling horribly depressed and have no idea how to control myself in these moments. It is definitely affecting my weight loss and I'm scared I won't be able to ever stop the cycle. I weigh 215lbs currently and my goal for now is 184lbs. Other than the binge eating, I manage to eat very healthily and don't feel deprived at all. Any suggestions are welcome. :)
Whenever the urge to binge hits you, get up and do something else - go take a walk, read a book, sweep the floor, wash the dishes -- anything at all that might take your mind off wanting to eat.

If you really aren't "hungry", waiting about 15 minutes after the "urge" hits you, it often goes away, so if you can avoid eating right away, you will be more likely to start eating again.  

Also, it might be helpful to know WHY you are binging.  Are you doing it when you are bored, lonely, depressed, tired -- there are a lot of emotions that can go along with binge eating.  It might be helpful for you to get a notebook and jot down how you are feeling just prior to the urge to binge; if you can identify the cause(s), you would then be able to eliminate them.