Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Enough is Enough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Enough is Enough

Well, I stepped on the scale this morning and much to my dismay ---- I've gained back 4 of the pounds I'd lost.  This is totally unacceptable!!!  I went from 149 down to 143, now I'm back up to 147 --- how horrible is THAT??

I've noticed on the past couple of posts I've done, that most of us seem to be "in limbo" as far as exercise is concerned.  I, personally, have really slacked off due to some  medical issues -- mainly with my heart and back - and my work schedule which includes getting up at 3:30 am and usually being too tired when I get home in the afternoon.  

After looking at the scale this morning, I've come to the decision that I *MUST* get back to exercising regularly again.  I've always been a good one for telling people that "there are exercises for almost everyone, if we look for them".  Well, I guess I'd better get started looking -- actually I have to go no further than my dvd player because I have both yoga dvd AND Wii Fit, plus my doctor gave me some stretching exercises to do for my back, which I've put off because I know it will hurt!!  

As of this morning, I am committing to no less than 20 minutes/day of exercise.  To begin with, I may have to split it into 2 - 10 minute sessions -- I know it might be best to do it all at once, but if I can't, I can't!!  At least I will be moving!!  

Okay, so here's my thought --- I'm going to COMMIT to 5 minutes of stretching every morning, along with 5 minutes on the healthrider.  Then, I figure I should be able to get in a 10 minute walk on my lunch break and if I go at a good steady pace, that will be excellent or if the lunch break walk doesn't work out, when I get home, I can do another 10 minutes of stretching or get out the Wii Fit or something else for 10 minutes.  

My goal will be to add 5 minutes of exercise per week, until I reach an hour/day.  In addition, to these 10 minute segments "dedicated" to exercise, I will still have all the walking and physical work that I do during the day.  

I would like to challenge anyone and everyone to come along on this journey with me.  If we don't get started, we won't ever reach our goal and I don't know about the rest of you, but that's not acceptable for ME.  

So, who's up for it???  20 minutes/day ---- whether all at once or broken into segments; and adding 5 minutes per week ----- for those of you already working out on a regular basis, this won't sound like much, but you're still free to participate; for the ones of us, who have not been exercising regularly, we need to start out with baby steps and work into it.  

We'll keep track on a weekly basis.........but feel free to report on here any time you want to, if you need some support, things aren't going well, or if you want to "blow your own horn".  

Come on ---- let's go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent challenge!  I'm with you.  Now that I'm paying more attention to my diet I am losing (2.4 lbs. this past week) so that is definitely motivating me.  
Wow, you lost 2.4 pounds in a week --- well, I guess I found them................lol  

Am very happy to have you along on the challenge.  Have you decided what/how much exercise you can get in daily?  And I'm happy to see that apparently you have recovered from your flu episode to feel well enough to join in.  

Okay, by adding 5 minutes of exercise per day each week, by November 15, I will be up one hour/day.  By then, if I watch what I eat and make sure I don't miss any days, I should at least have lost a couple of pounds!!

I see we aren't getting much response on this challenge -- I hope that's because it's Sunday and everyone is busy and not because you don't want to join in.  

Anyway, I didn't get my stretching done yet, but I did walk the dogs for 15 minutes this afternoon.  I'm getting ready to start on the stretching that my doctor told me to do and I think I'll try a few minutes on the health rider as well.  

Off I go --- hope everyone had a great weekend...........
Good idea guys! I'm there!
Welcome aboard tigerlilly -- glad to see come with us.  

Well, there are 3 of us anyway!!  Did you guys get any exercise in yesterday?  I got my 20 minutes -- 15 walking the dogs and 5 with stretches.  Yay --- for me!!!  
Yes. Yesterday I did a 30 min. DVD that uses a stability ball and two sets of hand weights. I use 3 and 5 pound weights. My DVD targets upper and lower body along with abs, back and core. On Tuesday I'm going to walk in the park for 5 miles it takes me just under 90 minutes. I'll let you know how it goes. I really believe that half of my success is due to my exercising and the other half is due to my diet.

I understand how you guys feel. My mother has always been a healthy person (diet and exercise) but because of her physical ailments she has had to put the brakes on her level of exercise and she says it's really making a difference in keeping her weight down. She tries to keep her weight low because of her back. The doctors used to tell her she could push it, so she always did but they put the brakes on that about a year ago. She has been to therapy and they have given her some exercises she can do. You've just got to do all you can. We have the same feelings about it. If you don't keep going you'll wake up one day and find out you can't do it anymore, then what?
Well, I just got back from my walk and let me tell you the cold and clouds were nothing. North East Ohio is at its peak this week for fall foliage. It was worth every minute. I walked 5.4 miles in 95 minutes. I feel good. Sore but I stretched when I got done and that has seemed to help. This is my favorite time of year and will be sad to see it go but while it's here I'm going to suck up every minute I can.
Great tigerlilly --- I wish I had time throughout the day to walk like that.  I used to love walking in the fall when we lived in Iowa and the leaves were turning,etc.  Even the chilly air wasn't a problem once I got going and kept moving.  

I did 100 reps on the health rider this morning, plus about some stretches -- about 10 minutes total and I walked the dogs when I got home from work -- another 10 minutes, so I got in my 20 for the day.  I hope to get some more stretches in before bed also.  

Anyone else??
Count me in. Im so depressed about my weight. I was 140lbs. After a pregnancy and miscarriage, I weighed myself on sunday and i weighed 151lbs. I really want to get back to my 140lb. I was happy with that weight. I plan to walk after dinner the following couple of days and walk during lunch. Plan to go back to the gym as of monday as i had slacked off on that.
Welcome --

I'm very sorry to hear about your miscarriage.  I hope you are doing well, physically.

Well, you don't have a lot to lose, but you've come to the right place.  Are you watching your diet as well?  I might suggest the food diary here on MedHelp, along with the weight and exercise trackers.  They are all good ways to keep up with the food we eat, as well as our exercise to make sure we are getting the right amount.  

We'll look forward to hearing more from you as the days pass.

Again, welcome...
Thanks Barb.  I added the weight tracker. i will look into the food diary. thansk for the suggestion
40 and rain. I said to my husband should I just do 30 min. on my bike and 30 min. strength training  DVD of should I just suck it up? He said I would just suck it up, so I did. I did 5 miles in 82 minutes. I jogged a little hear and there. I feel like I haven't been working hard enough. I walk as fast as I can but my legs can only go so fast without running. I would like to increase my jogging little by little. I really enjoyed myself this morning knowing I stepped it up a bit and worked harder than usual. Tomorrow I'm doing my other strength training DVD. I use the same weights for both of the DVD's I use. This one is more intense and it works all of my areas, top, bottom and middle.

Your doing great Barb135. I have a health rider and that thing kicks my butt. Maybe I'll use it on one of these rainy days. Keep it up!

Princessa745 once you get back in the groove of things you'll feel so much better. Glad your here!
thanks tigerlilly. I walked for half hour yesterday, and will continue do so this weekend and monday back to the gym.
Okay girls, I'm so happy to hear that you are both with me on this.  I did not do Wii Fit this afternoon because I've had horrible acid reflux all day and I tend to get very sick if I do a lot of bending over or floor exercises, etc.  I plan to do the stretches my doctor gave me and get on the health rider for a bit.  In addition, I walked at a pretty hefty pace a couple of times today - yes, it was in the course of my work, but was for pretty long distances and at a brisk pace --- one of the "treks" was approximately a mile, so I'm counting the 2 times as a total of 20 minutes of walking............oh, yes, I am --- no you can't talk me out of it.................................lol

You guys keep up the good work and thanks a bunch for going along on this journey with me......
Well, I did not exercise yesterday like I had planned but I did this morning. As long as I do 3 - 90min. days of cardio and 2 - 30 min. days of strength training it doesn't matter what days I do it on. I'll do my last 90 min. of cardio tomorrow. That jogging in the park the other day kicked my butt. I didn't realize that you so use so many different muscles  running than you do walking. I'm glad though it makes me feel like I'm really trying hard. Hope it doesn't rain tomorrow. I'll cross my fingers.
Good job - tigerlilly.  I'm not into jogging, but yes, I would imagine there would be different muscles used AND you would be using them harder than just walking, since jogging would be considered "high impact".  My knees and hips aren't strong enough for that.  

I only got in some light walking yesterday - not good, but life took over the day.  I have an elderly aunt (almost 91 yrs) who lives about an hour + away from me and she depends on me to get her to the grocery store, etc, which I did yesterday, but in addition to that, she needed to go to the clinic for her flu shot and while there, the doctor decided to run some tests due to a suspicion of heart problems.  Since it's a walk in clinic, it always takes a while to get in anyway, but this ended up being a 4+ hour ordeal -- after I'd made the drive down and still had to make the drive home.  Since I struggle a lot with fatigue, etc anyway, I was totally wiped out by the time I got home around 5:00 pm.......

I hope to do much better today.  Am going to go look for another yoga dvd today, if I get time.  
Well it has been a gorgeous day today! I did my walk/jog in 78 min. I jogged more than I did the other day and boy did I need it. I overate two days in a row and need to get back on the line. Monday is my skip day so I hope my muscles recover from my more intense workout before the next.

Barb135 - Long days like that totally wipe me out too. I think Yoga is good for you. Lots of stretching and it really works your muscles without jarring you body to much. Sounds good!

It has been beautiful out and I took a couple of pictures in the back yard if you want to go to my page and look at them. Fall really is my favorite time of year.
Is it too late to join in the challenge?  I started the flat belly diet on Thursday and have lost 2.5 lbs so far.  I'm heading downstairs to walk on the treadclimber while I watch football.
It's never too late to join in here.  Wow - 2.5 pounds since Thurs.......that's totally awesome, but don't try to lose it too fast and make sure the changes you are making are sustainable over time because you want them to be lifestyle changes in order to keep from gaining back the weight.  

Tigerlilly -- I found the yoga dvd I was looking for -- it was mentioned on one of the threads the other day and I just watched part of it -- since I love yoga and do it regularly with the Wii Fit, I think this dvd is going to be good.  It's the Biggest Loser - Yoga for Weight Loss........I just watched part of it -- tomorrow will actually get in a workout.  

Today, I have been cleaning house most of the day, so lots of walking, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.........and hubby and I walked the dogs together this evening -- he takes the "calm" cocker spaniel and I take rambunctious beagle --- I took the beagle for a few "spurts" of running, which I don't normally do, but it's cool (actually cold to me) today, so I could do it without getting overheated.  

I'm satisfied with what I got done today and I feel pretty good -- now the day is winding down and so am I.  I'll be ready for bed in just a few hours and hopefully a good night's sleep.  Oh -- don't forget everyone -- sleep is very important in the weight loss journey, too...........
good morning, i wasn't able to walk yesterday, it was raining/snowing here yesterday. I did the stairs in my basement for a little as i did laundrty to get something in . Today i will go back to the gym!! My mind is set!!! So i can' start to shed the pounds.
Not much you can do in the rain/snow except get sick and we don't want that.  Stair climbing is good exercise, so don't ever discount making those trips to the laundry room.  

Keep your determination --- that's the spirit.  
Thanks Barb!!
Well it's another gorgeous day outside but I did my 30 min. stability ball DVD because my son is sick and I needed to stay home. Tomorrow my husband is off work so I will walk / jog then while he keeps an eye on the kids.

Barb135, I think you might like the stability ball. have you ever tried one before? They are good for balance and using lots of muscles you didn't even know you had. There are also good for stretching too.

Princessa745, how was the gym?
I have thought about a stability ball, but just never did it.  Over the weekend, I bought the dvd "Biggest Loser Yoga for Weight Loss"........it suggested on another thread here last week.  Anyway - I did it for the first time yesterday after work and you want to talk about a work out!! My muscles were really burning when I got done.  The only thing that saved with it is that I've been doing yoga for a couple years now, so at least I'm familiar with the poses.I only got behind a couple of times, which I thought was pretty (for me).....

I'll keep the stability ball in mind though..........something different so I don't get bored. Thanks
Well I thought my treadmill was broken but I did some investigating and found out it was the outlet. I'm very happy about this. I found out last night my husband had to work this morning and I would not be able to go to the park. I now can walk downstairs while the kids are in for their nap. This will also help with the Winter coming.

hardBODmiranda - I watch what I eat every day. I'm on a low calorie diet and get plenty of lean meat, complex carbs, fiber, veggies and good fats. I've been eating like this for 6 months but as we all know that's only half of it. I know I would not have made 50 pounds worth of progress without my exercise. It has really helped with my emotional eating and stress. I think a lot of people on here watch what they eat but the missing piece of the puzzle is that they are not exercising properly. That's what this thread is about.
I'm happy to hear that your treadmill is not broken.  An outlet is much easier repaired.  And yes, that treadmill will come in handy during the winter.  I hope you got in a good walk today!!

I did the Biggest Loser Yoga for Weight Loss both Mon and yesterday.  It's really something.  Monday after I did it, I took a good hot bath with epsom salts to help by pass some of the muscle pain.  Yesterday, after I worked out, I decided I didn't need to do that --- well, I'm paying for getting lazy.......I was SO sore when I climbed out of bed this morning!!  I decided to pass on the workout this afternoon because I did a LOT of walking today and I've decided to let my muscles rest for a day or I'm afraid I will "burn out".  The scale doesn't show any pounds lost, but I noticed this morning that my pants slid on easier than normal -- wondering if it could make that difference so soon?? But then, I've been doing yoga anyway, so maybe just stepping up the pace would make the difference.  

I totally agree with you about the eating versus exercise.  They have to go hand in hand in order to get very far.  Although it's possible to lose weight with just diet, adding the exercise will increase the weight loss AND it will keep you from losing muscle mass instead of fat.  

Keep up the good work.............
Well I'm doing my other strength DVD tonight and the skipping Friday and walking Saturday and Sunday. I'll have someone to help watch the kids while I walk. As for the other day on the treadmill, I hated it! I'm so glad it's not broke don't get me wrong, I know I'm going to need it and I was glad to get my exercise out of the way and not have to wait till my hubby came home BUT it was awful. It was the longest 90 minutes of my life. I am so thankful to live 7/10 of a mile from the Metro Parks and I'm going to walk in the park till my fingers get frostbite.

I think after I reach my goal I'm going to change my exercise regimen. Right now I'm doing 5.5 hrs. per week and that's only to try and speed up my weight loss a little. I think after I reach my goal I'm going to cut it by an hour and a half.

2 - 60 minute walks per week and 2 days of 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by 30 minutes of strength training. This will be 4 days instead of 5. I know this might still seem like a lot to some but I have a big appetite and I really want to be as fit as possible and stay that way. I also don't think it's to much considering how much I've been doing. What do you guys think?
I think you will do fine cutting your routine by an hour and 1/2 per week.  You are really hitting it now and if you cut your time and find that you start gaining again, you can either cut back on the food, or up the exercise a bit.  

Do you have an iPod or MP3 player or something that you can put on head phones and listen to your favorite music while you walk on the treadmill?  I find that time goes a lot faster if I have music on -- or even a TV - just something to distract me from the boredom of the same movement -- like walking on a treadmill..........Or for me, even just taking a walk.  I don't have a park to walk in, I only have fields and a short piece of road, so it tends to get rather boring when I'm alone.  In January, my "winter neighbors" will be here and she likes to walk a lot, so we walk our dogs together after I get home from work, usually about 45 min to an hour/day -- I enjoy that because we discuss our day and it's a way to relieve tension of the work day AND get exercise.  

You are doing great.  I'm really happy to see your dedication and determination.  

I've sort of slacked off the exercise a bit this week -- yes, I've done my Biggest Loser yoga dvd a couple of times, and I've had a very "physical" work week, but I've recently learned that a leaky heart valve has gotten worse.  I go for an echocardiogram this morning -- once that's over and I find out everything's okay (I hope), the stress/fear should ease up and I think it will be easier to settle into a better routine.  

You keep going -- I'm getting a lot of my motivation from you.  Thanks..........

Thanks Barb135. I did get stuck on the treadmill the other day without my husbands MP3 player and the T.V. turned down so low I couldn't hear it. Then to top it all off I had to use the bathroom 30 minutes into my workout and my stubborn streak got the best of me by not getting off the treadmill till I was done with my 90 minutes.

I'm glad your neighbors will be coming soon to keep you company. I'm sure it makes all the difference. Don't short change yourself at least your still doing your yoga and not plopping down in front of the T.V. everyday after work. I don't know how much of this I would be able to get accomplished if I had to work outside the home and take care of the kids. Keep it up!

I hope you echo-cardiogram comes out OK. I'm sure it will help relieve some of your stress and worry. Let me know how it turns out. I'll be thinking of you today.
Oh, how well I know how boring it can get without some music/noise of some kind to take the mind off the monotony.  AND, my dear girl, why were you so stubborn as to not get off and go to the bathroom??? That HAD to be a miserable workout!!  Just think, you could have stopped the treadmill, went to the bathroom, then turned up the TV ---- and enjoyed the rest of the workout.........

I have worked outside my home since my kids were very small.......they are now 37 and 34 yrs old, so it's pretty much been a matter of "just do it".  The thing is: I never had a weight problem until a few years ago when my thyroid "wigged" out on me and during the year + that it took for me to convince the doctor there was something wrong and to test my thyroid, I had put on 30 of the most stubborn pounds I've ever seen.  Over the years, I had gained weight several times, but mostly cutting down on food intake was enough to deal with it, and other times, I'd just start losing/gaining for no reason --- I've come to the conclusion that my thyroid was acting up for ALL those years, hence the "up and down for no reason" until it (thyroid) finally pretty much gave out and now does very little to nothing.........

My echocardiogram went okay, I guess.  I didn't see the doctor and won't until Nov 9, so won't know what the outcome is going to be until then.  I *do* know that it's the aortic valve that's leaking and it's bad enough that they can hear the murmur now.  I get to spend the next, what?? 16 days? wondering ------------ so I have to be careful not to "wonder" too far or I might get lost.  I have to admit though that it does make me fear all, but the most gentle of exercises -------- lol
I know it was silly not to get off the treadmill and use the bathroom and then turn up the T.V. but it's part of my don't stop mentality. It has gotten me in and out of trouble many times in my life. I also didn't want the reading on my treadmill to be off because I stopped and got back on. Silly.

My husband has thyroid disease and it's controlled by his medication. I also have a friend that has the same thing and they won't put her on medication. It keeps going back and forth. She gained 15 pounds in 3 months and she does not over eat. She also has loose stools one month and hard the next. She gets the shakes and all sorts of things. She is just waiting for more of it to die off so she can get on medication for it. What a pain in the behind. I feel for you and I wouldn't want to be on that roller-coaster.

That really stinks about you heart. Just take it easy and keep up on your stretching and your yoga. It's supposed to help you relax. I'm sure if they thought you were going to keel over right there they would have kept you in the hospital. I think. Try not to worry to much about it. I know it's easier said than done.

I'm so glad I have my mother in law to help watch the kids tomorrow so I can walk. And I'm not going to complain if it rains on my head the whole way as long as I don't have to get on my treadmill!

Have a good weekend!
I'm glad that your husband's thyroid issues are controlled by his meds. Mine is getting better now that I have an endo, who will treat it properly.  Actually, I have felt better the past few weeks than I have for years, except for the fatigue and I found out today that the heart issues I have can cause that too, so I may have been unfairly blaming it all on thyroid.  

Well, I'm certainly glad that you see the "error of your ways" in not going to the bathroom ----------lol.........Isn't it ironic what we go through sometimes, only to learn that we could have made it so much simpler for ourselves......I've learned the hard way SO many times.................

Well, if your mother in law is going to be with the kids, I hope you enjoy your walk in the park, but if it's going to be raining, please take an umbrella, wear a raincoat, etc --- dedication to exercise is great, but please don't take a chance on getting sick for it.  

Thanks for the encouragement -- I needed that.  I still have the stretching exercises that the doctor gave me and can go back to the Wii Fit if the Biggest Loser dvd proves too much for the time being.......

You have a great weekend too, and enjoy that walk in the park -- I might just decide to strike off across the field at a nice easy pace, who knows??      
I walked both days this weekend and it did not rain on me but it was chilly. It was windy and cloudy on Saturday but just wonderful on Sunday. I'm skipping today and I'll walk on Tuesday and do strength on Wednesday.

I'm debating with myself if I should skip Saturday because we are Trick-or-Treating. Seems like a cop out to me, although I'll be walking plenty. I'll see how I feel and how busy I am. On the other hand if I do Friday I wont have to do Saturday anyway. We'll see.
I'm really happy to hear that you got walks in both days of the weekend, but you know, it IS permissible to skip a day now and then.  

I did a bunch of yard work yesterday, plus had to go to work for a while -- I felt like I got plenty of exercise.................

Well, trick or treating might count as a walk -- maybe while the kids run up to the house you can do some jumping jacks or something just to keep moving??  Well, just a suggestion so you don't feel guilty, but again ---- you ARE permitted to skip a day of exercise and don't forget that family time is very important........
Family Time? I'm a stay at home mom, that's my entire day. lol I do skip, two days a week MOTHER DEAR!

Yard work is wonderful. It's wonderful to kill two birds with one stone. Good for you.
Barb135 -  I think I understand your comment now. My hubby works weekends and nights. Our family time is during the week on his days off. We also spend dinner time together 4pm-7pm (all of us) that's why it's so important for me to work out on the weekends and in the morning. If I can do that, it's not taking away from anyone, including me. I do know it's OK to skip every now and then but sometimes for me, 1 excuse is all I need to make up more. I've been making excuses for myself for the past 8 years and it hasn't gotten me anywhere. I think as time has gone on I've been able to relax a little more about things. It is still hard for me sometimes but much better than 6 months ago when I started up again (for the 50th time). I'm an all or nothing person whether it's all good or all bad. I'll spend the rest of my life trying to find a happy medium but I'm closer to it than I've ever been.

Thank you for your comments and replies. Talk to you later.
tigerlilly5909
Oh my -- I do hope you didn't think I was getting snippy or anything...Actually, I was kind of joking with you.  Sometimes we take it all a bit too seriously, when what we really need to do is relax a bit.  I, too, am pretty much "all or nothing" -- once I start something, I usually won't quit until it's finished, but if I DO stop for some reason, I'm likely to lose interest and not go back to it again.  I guess I'm what you'd call a "type A" personality and maybe that's why I'm struggling with possible heart problems now.  

It's awesome that you are a stay at home mom and can have the time to get in your exercise and NOT have to take time away from the family.  My hubby used to work nights and weekends, too, but it was hard for us because I worked days, during the week, so when he was home, I was working; when I was home, he was either working or sleeping -- we didn't see much of each other.  

You're doing great & I'm so proud of you AND I'm jealous because you have a treadmill that you don't like and I don't have one OR a place to put one!!  But then I probably wouldn't like it either ----------------lol

Keep up the good work and do what you have to do, to get the job done.  
Thank you Barb135. I think it is "type A" personality for us both. It can be the best or the worst quality depending on the circumstances.

I wish you could have a treadmill too. They come in handy for bad weather or if your pinched for time.

I'm so glad I can stay home because if I didn't I would probably have a hard time just getting in my 30 minutes 3 days a week and then I would feel guilty I was taking time away from my family. It's another reason I don't like to skip my exercise. I figure if people that are working outside the home have time to take care of themselves, I have no excuse not to.

Yuor doing a good job too! Keep it up!
Hi Everyone,

My name is Sarah and I'm 25 years old. Almost 2 years ago I gave birth to my 1st child and have had trouble taking the weight off. I've been looking for a good support group and after reading the post on this page I just want to say how inspired I am!

I have used weight watchers in the past and it has worked. I plan on starting that again and also plan that when my daughter goes to bed at 8pm every night I'm going to exercise for atleast 1 hour.
Welcome to the forum and I'm happy to hear that we were able to give you some encouragement.  

I know a lot of people have been successful on weight watchers, so I'm sure you will do fine with that.  I'm also impressed that you still have energy left to exercise at 8:00 pm -- I'm always in bed sound asleep by then -- but then I get up at 3:30 am too.  

Whatever we can do to help you, please just ask.  And again, welcome........
I walked today after the kids were off to school. It's nice two days a week not to have to ask for help with the kids and in another three years they well all be in school full time so I won't have any trouble then. Seems like a long time but it's really not. Every year leading up to it will give me a little more freedom. Yes, I said freedom, lol. Tomorrow is my 30 minutes of strength training which seems like a vacation compared to my 90 minute walks. I saw on Fit T.V. that weights are supposed to help with anxiety. I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow after my workout.

SaraRM9 - Welcome! I follow weight watchers point system. I like it. they don't restrict anything and they give you a little leeway.
Hey, you are doing great.  And I know just what you mean about that "freedom" when the kids all get in school.  Children are a great joy, but we all know they are also a lot of work.  The first few days my youngest was in school, I just lazed around because I'd never been able to do that.  THEN the house got SO quiet because I was used to having someone around all the time............didn't take long until I learned to utilize the time they were in school, so I'd have time to spend with them after they got home.........

I haven't watched Fit TV -- I'll have to look and see if we get that.  You know, I've read articles that say we can "lose weight just by thinking about exercising" -- I wonder if that works for watching exercise shows on TV too??         LOL........

Enjoy that strength training today.........and if weights ease anxiety/stress, maybe I'll have to dig mine out again -- I've certainly had my share of stress lately......
Well, I walked today and I'm going to walk tomorrow so I can skip Saturday for a lunch with extended family. That will leave me with 30 minutes of strength training on Sunday which is good because I have another get together with more extended family on Sunday. A busy weekend but seeing family I don't get to see very often is totally worth it.

Barb135 If you can lose weight by thinking about exercising what happens when you think about eating? I don't even want to know! lol
Well my weekend didn't work out quite as planned. I ended up skipping Friday and walking Saturday. The Saturday luncheon was canceled because of strep throat. I could not bring the kids. They have been so sick and I didn't want them to get something that could be avoided. I skipped Sunday so, my usual skip Monday no longer exists for this week. I'll be doing my strength training as soon as I put pants on lol.

I have also changed my goal from 140 to 135, so I will need to keep up the exercise if I'm going to reach my goal on time. Wish me luck. I'm going to give it my all.
Well....*blush*....I find myself in this predicament as well.  I have had some health issues as well as of late that required me to take steroids and I can no longer be in the sun without side effects, SO, I have to find creative ways to work back into things.  Frankly, with the weight increase with the steroids....I'm embarrassed to even update my weight tracker.  One thing at a time I suppose.  While I am busy and have problems, I DO have exercise on demand on my TV, so I think that I will begin with some yoga.  At this moment I won't commit to a certain number of minutes per day, but will update as I find what I can actually do at this time.  Hard for me to believe that at this time last year I was doing races and as of yet, I cannot think of a way to do them with the sunlight problem and am now so out of shape that I could not physically do it at any rate.  Ugh!  Time for an attitude adjustment I do believe!  
We all need an attitude adjustment from time to time. I seem to need one weekly lol. It's nice to have exercise on demand and yoga is a good place to start. I'm going to have to check if I have it. I have other free programs on demand but never checked into exercise. Please don't be embarrassed to update your tracker. At least your are here trying to take care of yourself.
Hi lucinda - welcome back!!  Tigerlilly is right -- we all need an attitude adjustment sometimes, but if you've been ill, you need to take time to get back into things slowly.  Can you not be in the sun at all?  Or could you walk with long pants, long sleeved shirt, hat to shade your face, etc?  

*I* made my commitment almost a month ago, only to find that I have some possible heart issues and have to "curtail" for the time being.  I'll go to the doctor on Monday to get the results of my echocardiogram and will hopefully find out then, what the next step will be.................Oh, it's not fun being sick.......

Anyway, it's good to have you back on the forum.
Oh Barb....the sun is now my new arch nemisis.  LOL.  My only official diagnosis at this time is something called PMLE (polymorphic light eruption).  We are looking towards lupus and the results are high....not high enough for diagnosis at this time, but we are monitoring for that closely.  I have gone to some great lengths with the sun sensitivity that would boggle the everyday average person...I know it sure did me for the first month after diagnosis.  I am able to spend maybe 5-10 minutes in the sun IF I do all of the following:  Wash SPF protection into my clothing, wear long sleeved shirts with long sleeved denim shirts on top, wear a hat at all times, always long pants (no more shorts for me), and put on at least SPF 70 (although right now I am using a prescription SPF 90) on all of my body.  If I do all of this and exceed my limitations in the sun, unfortunately I still break out in a horrific allergic type rash.  In the beginning, I did not know what my allergy was (who would have thought it was coming from the sun?), so I have some pretty icky scars from those areas that were so bad.  So right now what I do when needing to go to the store (less than an hour tops), etc., is to bundle myself up as described, make the trip as quick as I can, and avoid the peak hours of sunshine.  I still manage to get some rash on my neck and hands this way, but I can get some things done.  It takes about 8 days to beat back this milder rash that I get from these weekly outings, so I seem to always be rashy these days.  The three courses of the steroids that I went through was to beat back the initial waves of rash before I knew what was really happening.  Silly me, for about a month I was trying to isolate various things such as detergents and lotions, etc., thinking I could find the root cause, but it just got worse and worse and worse until I finally caved and sought medical attention.  And believe you me, I definitely know better.  ; )  

I did investigate further into the On Demand features of my TV system and found quite a few things.  I did squeeze in 10 minutes of beginner's yoga this morning and found it to be a bit more difficult than it looked.  lol.  I will just keep plugging.  I just have to keep in mind that things are different now and I must adapt my plan, that's all.  I want to try to go into the gym, but I have to watch other sources of light, such as bright overhead lights in stores and gyms, so I need to see how their lighting affects me before I buy a membership again.  If their light is tolerable, I can do that again.  It is interesting how vigilent a person with these types of problems must be.  I have to also keep the windows in my home covered well so that the incoming light does not affect me.  I learned that from the light shining in from the window near my work desk, as it was still causing my left arm that was near it to rash.  Hopefully once I get a better handle on the ins and outs of this particular condition, I can find ways to resume some sorts of activities that I enjoy.  My mind races back to the races...how shall I resume the races if I risk heat stroke by all of this clothing that I require to cover myself?  lol.  Hubby thinks that maybe I should consider 'retiring' myself from the notion of races....I think he has yet to discover just how creative and determined I am deep down.  : )
LOL!  You should have seen me when I was in full-blown rash mode in the beginning.  Thinking back now I must have been quite a sight.  There were layers upon layers of rash and on the day I caved I had developed huge hives on top of that.  I looked like a great big pink and white leopard!  
OK, I have spent the last two days, a total of 6 hours outside raking leaves. Needless to say, I have considered this my exercise for yesterday and today. I feel pretty good considering how much I've done. My "do it" attitude drives me to try and keep up with my husband. I have really come a long way. I would not have been able to do this much work without all of my exercising I've done for the last 6 months. My back is strong and I feel pretty good. I'm sure I'll take a couple of Motrin tonight but other than that I feel great.
Lilly, you are doing absolutely great and I agree that you would not be able to rake leaves, etc for so long without paying dearly, if it were not for doing regular exercise and keeping your body in shape. I credited my daily exercise for getting through last year's stress test with flying colors too -- unfortunately, even though I would still be able to do the treadmill with little effect on my feet/legs, etc, I would not be able to do it without having difficulty with the breathing.  

lucinda -- I don't know WHAT to think about your predicament!!!  I can't imagine not being able to go out in the sun or even having to cover the windows of my house.  I tend to suffer from claustrophobia, so I'm sure I'd lose my mind if I had to go to that extent.  

You are right, though, it's amazing what lengths we can go to in order to accomplish things that are really important to us.  

I'm very sorry to hear that you may have lupus, my 34 yr old daughter has it, and I know how devastating it can be, even though hers has manifested in other ways.  

Just make sure that you take it easy and work back into a routine slowly so you don't overdo.  
OK! I haven't forgotten to check in I just figured I'd let a couple of days go by. Maybe something interesting would happen to talk about. Not.

I did strength training on Friday with a DVD I haven't done in months. It was nice to do something different. I don't do this one that much though because it only works my core. Maybe I'll keep doing it once a week. My problem area is through my mid section so I guess it couldn't hurt.

I walked on Saturday and was supposed to walk on Sunday but the hubby got a part time job and I had no one to help with the kids. Grandma was nice enough to help me on Saturday and I didn't want to ask her again. The plan is to make it up this week, so I'll see if I can work it in.

I just got back in the house after three hours of yard work and I told my hubby I'd help him again tomorrow. I'll do strength training on Wednesday or Thursday and finish off the week with a couple walks in the park. The weather has been nice and I hope it doesn't turn quite yet.

I'm eager to get to my goal so I would like to keep this pace of exercise up for a while longer. Hopefully soon I can back off a little. I don't feel like it's to much for me physically just a little demanding time wise.