Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Exercise after hysteroscopy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Exercise after hysteroscopy?

I had my hysteroscopy done yesterday and all in all things went well, I am feeling fine, no pain, and no major side effects from the anesthetic. I do feel somewhat bloated and a tad groggy but I know that I am lucky to be feeling this good.

Now I must say that I am surprised by the big list of things I am not allowed to do for the next month which includes strenuous exercise. Main question is what exactly is meant by strenuous exercise? I'm assuming going for a walk would be fine so long as its not a major speed walk type of thing? I don't plan on training for any marathons but sure would like to do exercise in the next 5 weeks. The doctor is off on vacation and I will not see him until Aug 20! Go figure. Yes, I know doc's need vacations too...
There are numerous reasons for doing a hysteroscopy, so the reason for doing yours might have a bearing on what they would or wouldn't want you to do afterward.  Strenuous activity could likely cause bleeding to occur.  In addition, if there were fibroids removed or something, there's a possibility that there could be stitches, which might be torn loose during exercise.

I would think that a walk would not be considered "strenuous", so long as you go at a *leisurely* pace and don't carry weights or use a resistance band.  

A rule of thumb is --- if what you plan to do raises any question in your mind in regards to whether or not it's safe for you to do; it probably isn't.  It would be much better to forego the exercise for a few weeks than take a chance on causing more serious issues.

Happy Healing; hope all goes well for you.
Thanks Barb, that really makes a lot of sense. I will stick to our regular walking and some of the easy stuff on the Wii Fit, and steer clear of any of the aerobic/running exercises.
Oh since you have the Wii Fit, you might be able to do some of the yoga exercises; just don't get too vigorous with it or try to do "deep" stretches, etc.  

Use your best judgment and remember: it's always best to err on the side of caution.
i had my operation march 16th 2011 and my tummy a bit large would like to do some sit ups  also when can i have sex
It might be a bit early for sit ups - depends on the type of hysterectomy you had - whether it was vaginal, which involves only several small incisions or abdominal, which would entail one large incision, whether you still have stitches, etc.  

You should talk to your doctor regarding both the sit ups and when it's safe to have sex; that too would depend on the type of hysterectomy you had.  

We are all different and have hysterectomy for different reasons and by different means - vaginal or abdominal; therefore, our aftercare would vary greatly.  Again, it's best to err on the side of caution.  
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
MH Community Mgr is off for the night. Comment
Anabolic Activator Assessment
10 hrs ago by gymdandee
KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
Jun 30
Track your weight over time