Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Exercising, eating right, and gaining significant weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

I seem to be one of many with this problem, but most seem to be about a foot shorter than me... I'm a 6'4", 26-year-old male, and former athlete) and have been exercising 5-6 days a week, for about 90 minutes a workout. 2/3 of that is doing cardio, and about 1/3 is weight lifting, etc. I'm far more concerned with losing
weight/fat than building any type of significant muscle mass. I also have been eating very well, eating only what I have prepared for myself, and it's been weeks since I had any food from a restaurant (a.k.a. Food that has mystery ingredients). I am also positive I don't overeat or undereat.

I am a bigger build, and weighed 246 lbs. about 6 weeks ago. According to the BMI, even that is obese, but if you looked at me, you'd see a relatively in-shape person (I have a very broad chest) who wants to cut some off the midsection (I do have a small spare tire). That 246 lb reading was six weeks ago, and today, I'm at 256 lbs. I have not deviated from my workouts or diet, and my issue definitely is not a "muscle weighs more than fat" issue, because clothes are not fitting any better. In fact today, after 6 straight days of exercise and healthy eating, I feel like all I've been doing is eating pizza and sitting on my couch. I'm getting the results of someone who is doing the exact opposite. Am I facing a thyroid issue? Is there anything else I can do?
It's possible it's a thyroid issue. I suggest asking your dr to test your thyroid and make sure you ask for free T3 and T4, because they are much more reliable than the standard TSH at showing what the thyroid is actually doing. http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/hypochecklist.htm here is a checklist with an extensive list of symptoms people with hypothyroidism might be feeling. Go through them and maybe bring that list to the dr if you've got a significant amount of these symptoms.

There are also other things that could cause this issue besides the thyroid, so you might want to talk to the dr about anything else that may be making it difficult to loose inches. Honestly atm the only thing that is coming to mind is PCOS which you can't have.

With these tests you might want to ask the dr to test your cholesterol levels and blood glucose levels. No reason to think these might be off but they might help to back up whether or not your at a good healthy body size.

Finally BMI is an average. It is based off of the typical muscle mass of men your size. Sometimes it does need to be taken with a grain of salt- because many body builders fall under the obese category. So until you talk to your dr about whether or not you're at a healthy weight, try not to stress about this particular number.
I am having the same issue. I would recommend counting calories. Since you have been working out a lot, you are probably hungrier since you are burning off more calories. You may be eating more without realizing it because of this.
Insulin resistance can also cause weight gain/inability to lose.  

Also make sure you change up your exercise and diet now and then.  Once your body gets used to the same thing every day, it's no longer a challenge.