Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Exercising 6 times a week and can't lose weight!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Hi Everyone,

My last year of college, I unfortunately put on a bit more weight than I would have liked. I was very thin to begin with, but by the end of the year I was over a place comfortable for me. Then, after I got on the pill last year I gained a few more pounds.

I know I'm in the 'healthy' range-- I'm nearly 5 ft 6 in and am around 127 pounds. However, I have been on a mission to lose weight so I can get back to my more normal 115-120!

I've tried EVERYTHING. I went from barely exercising senior, to working out a few times a week. I wasn't getting results, so lately within the last 3 or 4 months I've bumped up my work outs to nearly 6 days a week. (every once in a while 5 days a week). You think that in itself would boost weight loss. Unfortunately, it didn't.

I should also mention I'm a SUPER healthy eater. A typical day for me includes: fat free greek yogurt with a 1/4 cup low fat granola, an around 300 cal salad for lunch , almonds for a snack in a pre-measured pack, and for dinner an example would be quinoa with beans and veggies. I'm pescitarian, my sweet intake is at most some dark chocolate, I don't drink soda, and drink my coffee with just a bit of soy milk...

I'm getting extremely discouraged. I'm eating as healthy as I can and working out hard. I usually spend 40-45 min at the gym a night, and interchange that with work out dvds or running. At the gym I'm usually doing the elliptical or stairmaster and some weights and I always do interval training.

My only thoughts are a) the birth control pill is slowing my metabolism to what seems like zero b) I usually drink a small glass of wine with dinner and eat a piece of dark chocolate after. Is this what is preventing me to lose weight??

Can some one please give me some tips on what I can do to lose a few pounds? I'm so discouraged and don't know what else to do.
Since you aren't overweight by any stretch of the imagination, it seems you might be putting too much effort into it.  They always say, the less you have to lose the harder it is.

I might suggest that you get some simple thyroid tests to make sure hypothyroidism isn't an issue.  Ask your doctor for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.

Secondly, you might not be taking in enough calories each day.  Your body has to have so many calories just to function and if you don't provide enough it thinks it's starving.  With all the exercise you're getting, you most likely need a lot more calories than you're eating.

You need to figure out your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) to find out how many calories you should actually be eating.  Then you can go from there.
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply!

I've actually gotten a thryoid test before and everything came back normal :)

It could be just as you suggest, that my body is comfortable/natural at this weight and I'm trying to 'push' it past this place. I'd just feel happier with myself if I lost the 5 ish pounds I recently gained from birth control..

I feel like I'm eating enough-- I"m never hungry at the end of the day.
But perhaps if I eat more frequently, and have a smaller portioned dinner at night, that would help ...
You may not be hungry at the end of the day, but what about during the day?  And even if you are eating enough calories, are they the right kind?  Are you making sure you get plenty of fiber and some good fats?  Not all fats are bad and some are actually necessary in order to be healthy.