Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Fat and depressed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Fat and depressed

I am 47, I had 3 pregnancies all after 40 ( unplanned)   I was always 125.  after my 2nd baby I was 145.  Not a big deal I would work it off.  After the 3rd I was 150.   She is now 3 and I kept gaining weight after I had her, I am now 185!!!  My thyroid was tested many times, went to an endo and found nothing.  Had me pee i a jug for 24 hours to look for cortisol.    What's going on??  I am hysterical now and the weight is really heavy in my middle section, I never gained weight there in my life.    I was thinking of going on metformin, I hearf that was good for weight loss.   Any ideas what could be going on??
If you have thyroid test results, I'd sure like to see them, along with  the reference ranges from your lab report.  Many times patients have labs in the "normal" range, but still suffer from hypothyroidism, if the levels are in the bottom 1/2 of their ranges.  It's also possible that you are in the beginning stages of Hashimoto's thyroidiitis, which is an autoimmune thyroid disease that gradually, over time, destroys the thyroid, so it no longer produces hormones.  In the beginning stages, a patient may have hypo symptoms, with normal blood work.  

Additionally, many doctors only test for TSH, and while considered "the gold standrard", TSH is a pituitary hormone and not necessarily indicative of thyroid function. You might also want to check out the thyroid forum, here on MedHelp, as there's a lot of information that might be helpful.

Another thing you might also want to get checked for is insulin resistance.  This is a condition in which the body does not properly use insulin, also known as prediabetes.  

PCOS is another condition that causes weight gain/inability to lose.  

Metformin is often prescribed for both insulin resistance and PCOS; it is seldom prescribed simply for weight loss.  

My endo ran some tests but I never heard back, but wants me to have a cortison supression test and test growth hormones,

These are the results my primary care doctor ran

TSH   0.685

free T4  1.36

Those thyroid tests look pretty good. Can you get a Free T3 test done?  Free T3 is the hormone actually used by individual cells, and is what controls metabolism, heart rate, body temp, etc.  This is the most important of the hormones.  Free T4 is a "storage" hormone and must be converted to FT3 prior to use by the cells.  Not everyone converts properly, so even though TSH and FT4 look good, there might still be an issue with FT3.

Also you should get tested for thyroid antibodies to see if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  This can be present for a long time, before your actual thyroid levels begin to show it.

What about insulin resistance?  Have you been tested for that?
Talked to my endo this morning.  I asked about insulkin resistance and they didn't seem to think I need gurther testing and all my other labs were fine.  They do want me to go in for an injection of nutropin in the morning, it's to test for growth hormone defiency, then a month later a suppresion test.  They really have no idea what's going on, except that I am now just o
ld fat and lazy.