Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Favorite Exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Favorite Exercise

We know that exercise can help lift depression, energize us, keep our hearts healthy; and of course, it can help us lose weight, along with various other benefits.

In trying to come up with interesting things to do in order to keep myself moving, I realize that there are a ton of various exercises, games and sports that can be done to keep us healthy, trim and in good spirits.  

I'm wondering what everyone's favorite exercise might be: walking, running; yoga, bicycling, going to the gym, videos/dvd's, etc.   You can have more than one.  Please let us know WHAT you prefer and WHY (how you  benefit most from it).  

I'll go first:    Some of you who have been around for a while, will know that my favorite is yoga.  Yoga centers on breathing, balance and stretching.  For me, it take immense concentration to achieve and hold the postures properly.  In the process of doing this, I have to push *everything* else out of my mind and concentrate ONLY on what I'm doing.  When I've finished a 30 minute session, I feel relaxed, my muscles feel stronger, longer and leaner, my breathing is much easier and I feel a very strong sense of accomplishment.  

My next favorite is walking.  Walking is one of the best exercises we can do.  It's proven to help with weight loss, muscle toning, and helps to make our heart strong, etc. When I go for a walk, I have the opportunity to look around at the sky, see the birds, flowers and other plants, butterflies and whatever else might be in my path.  I get what I might consider a "spiritual" feeling when I walk because I love being out where I can see all of God's creatures.  A nice walk, both relaxes and invigorates me.  

Okay, now it's your turn.  Hopefully, we can come up with a whole list of possibilities for those days when we just feel bored with our routine and want to try something different.................

Ready, set .............GO

I've only just started dieting and hoping to do well, but i find dance DVD's help me as i find them more entertaining and yes they can be quite vigorous but i enjoy dancing whereas i hate walking.

Can i ask how do you get a weight trcker to show on your comments?
Dance is also excellent exercise.  My husband used to work nights and I used to do it all the time after he left for work. I maintained my weight very well.  Keep up the good work.  

To show your weight tracker, look below the white area you are typing in, to see the blue arrow/show ticker.  Click on that, and you will see a white box open up with an arrow on the right hand side.  Click on that arrow and you will see "Weight Tracker".  Click on Weight Tracker, then post your comment.  The tracker will show up the next time you open that thread.  
I love yoga too, we have a great centre near where I live and they do lots of different types of classes. At the moment I am doing their "Resorative Yoga" while I'm not very well, it's great,lots of being propped up on yoga bolsters and bricks or wrapped in blankets / held with a rope while in the postures! I feel so refreshed afterwards. the teacher is lovely, heavily pregnant and a very gentle and nurturing soul.

Walking is also my number 2. Today I had the most blissful walk through Regents Park which is also near where I live. I was so happy to have the energy to do it. The Royal Parks in London are so beautiful. I would love to  be able to get out into the countryside more often but the parks in London are just fantastic. It's so soothing to have a gentle walk and see beautiful trees and plants. Today I also walked past some lovely fountains which really help lift the spirits. I think it's incredible what a difference doing something physical can make to how I feel about myself and the world in general.

Oh and if I can just lower the tone for a moment;  I had a fantastic big poo after my walk, it obviously helped get my bowels moving - hurrah for getting toxins out of my body as a reward for getting moving - I WILL get that flat stomach back (one day) lol !!!!
Love walking-- can't wait til Spring!  

I guess my next favorite is doing the Core Secrets DVD, with the exercise ball.  (Although I don't do this often b/c I'll only do it when i'm home alone or the kids and DH are in bed! LoL I don't like an audience.)