Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Health kick, still gaining weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Health kick, still gaining weight

Hi there,
I hoping someone out there can help me out. I'm a 24-year-old female looking to undo the damage caused over the holidays. I'm usually quite slim (103lbs), but over the Christmas period, I managed to pack on an extra five pounds that I could really do without. Since Hogmanay, I've quit drinking alcohol (I'm quite a heavy drinker, and alcohol is usually a high proportion of my daily intake) and switched my diet to one extremely low in fat and carbohydrate - about 1500-1700 cals per day, with a BMR of 1750. I eat small meals constituting mostly fruit and vegetables and lean protein, drink no more than 3/4 pint skimmed milk daily, cut out all treats barring a couple squares dark chocolate per day and watch my salt intake. I keep a rigorous food diary charting what I eat and measure portions, so I know I'm not underestimating what I eat.
I have problems with my joints and osteoporosis, preventing me from taking intense cardiovascular exercise, but I have been sure to go walking for 2-3 hours per day at a steady 3mph pace (burning between 300 and 500 calories per session). I've been at this regime for a week, and to my horror, not only have those extra five pounds refused to shift, I've gained an extra couple on the way, bringing me up to the 110lbs I haven't seen since I was a chubby teenager. My clothes are tighter than they've ever been, and I have a perceptible layer of surplus fat on my torso and abdomen. If weight loss comes about by burning more than you eat, how can this be possible, especially on such a healthy diet and exercise plan, and particularly without all those alcohol calories?
Any help anyone could give would be very much appreciated.
Go get your thyroid tested.  Get the following tests done --- TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.

That's exactly what happened to me; I was always thin (5' tall, 95 - 105 lbs) and all of a sudden I packed on 30 pounds in < 3 months.  My doctor kept telling me it was my own fault, until I finally convinced him to test my thyroid.........  I'm still struggling to lose the weight.
Brachiosaurus
Wow, if you exercise 2-3 hours per day and you take in only 1700 calories and you are only 24 years old and gaining weight, there is definitely something wrong.  I am 58 years old and walk 5 days per week for 1-2 hours per day, and I eat 2,000 - 3,000 calories per day while maintaining 115 lbs. over 10 years.  (I'm 5 foot 6 1/2 inches tall.)  I would advise that you go to a doctor and have him/her order the tests that Barb135 recommends.  My thyroid quit years ago, and I supplement the thyroid hormone that my body no longer supplies (by prescription only)--you must visit a doctor.  A physician may only want to run the TSH test, but demand all three that Barb135 recommends, because the Free T4 will find it there's something wrong that a basic TSH won't.  I also advise you to get rid of the drinking alcohol habit for good--it contains empty calories--if anything, drink ONE glass of red wine per night.