Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Help with weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Help with weight loss

I suffer from polyestic ovaries and for the past year have been trying to loos weight but nothing seems to be working, although im dieting im still putting on weight and really need some advice on what i can do to get slim again,
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is known for causing weight gain/inability to lose.  I know that some patients are given metformin to help control PCOS.  Have you talked with your doctor about this?

In addition, often other conditions, such as insulin resistance and thyroid diseases go hand in hand with PCOS.  I strongly suggest that you get tested for insulin resistance and get your thyroid levels tested (TSH, Free T4 and Free T3).  

Other than that, you might try implementing the food diary here on Med Help to keep track of what you are eating; sometimes we actually end up eating more than we think we are.  

In addition to healthy eating, you need to implement some type of regular exercise routine.  
Hi there,

I'm 26 and have PCOS too, so I know where you're coming from.  The most helpful thing I've found was very simply going on the pill - it helped with my skin as well.

In terms of weight loss, Barb135 is right; you need to exercise as well as just cut back on bad foods.  Go for a few heavy weights sets every week as that burns a lot of fat but ALSO builds lean muscle, thereby raising your base metabolic rate - so even when you're not exercising you'll burn more calories.  If you also include interval training on a cross-trainer or treadmill (do it after the weights so you haven't got any glycogen to burn), that will burn even more fat.  If you can, do a weights set late evening (with a good protein shake afterwards) and do some aerobic exercise first thing in the morning, before you eat.  That way the post-exercise calorie burn from the weights will continue all night, and when you exercise in the morning your body will only have fat available to burn.

With your diet, forget calorie-counting - it doesn't work long-term.  Make sure you get LOTS of protein (equivalent to four tins of tuna/five chicken breasts/eight eggs every day, to give you an idea), good fats (you need them to shift fat out of your cells - I know it seems contradictory) and veggies. Avoid starchy and refined carbs, so no pasta, bread, rice, potatoes or sugar if you can help it - they dump a lot of glucose into your bloodstream in one go, which your body then converts to fat.  Because you can't break down protein, fibrous carbs (ie, vegetables) or fat so quickly, you don't get the same rapid rise in blood glucose and insulin.  Good fats, incidentally, are unsaturates and polyunsaturates - olive oil, avocado, nuts (raw, obviously) and oily fish are all very good for you, although I also take omegas 3 6 and 9 to be sure.  And remember to take a good multivit and calcium supplement too!

Don't worry about your weight, by the way; I weigh 5kg more than I did six months ago, but am several inches and a dress size smaller - muscle weighs a lot more than fat, so weight isn't a good way to measure your progress.  Instead, take measurements of your boobs, waist, hips, thighs and upper arms, and monitor those.

Best of luck!
Soggymoggy has some good points, however, I would like to point out that muscle doesn't really weigh more than fat.  A pound is a pound, no matter what it consists of.  It's just that muscle is denser than fat, so you can fit more into a smaller space -- compare muscle and fat to a rock and feathers.  A relatively small rock can weigh a pound, but think of the bulk of the number of feathers you'd have to have to make a pound.  

Yes, your body needs the "good" fats -- called monounsaturated fats.  As soggymoggy said, you can get them from olive oil, avocados, nuts, some seeds, etc.  

Since protein breaks down slower than carbs, it helps keep you feeling fuller for longer periods.  When eating a high protein diet, make sure you get plenty of vitamin B6 to help break it down.

Personally, I can't exercise late at night because I get too "wired" and can't sleep afterward AND I also tend to have very bad acid reflux if I lie down soon after exercising..  
Hi Barb.

The point I'm making is that a pound of fat takes up a lot more room than a pound of muscle; an inch on your thighs consisting of muscle will weigh an awful lot more than an inch consisting of fat.  And if you take your example of a pound of rock versus a pound of feathers - which one would take up more room under your skin?

Just making a point.
The fat obviously takes more room than the muscle because fat is "fluffy"; the feathers take more room than the rock because feathers are "fluffy".   Molecules in muscle and rocks are "dense" (tightly packed), so the same number of molecules takes less space.  

I just wanted to clarify that "a pound is a pound" no matter what it consists of.