Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Help?

I'm 14 and I'm trying to lose weight and my goal is to get to 120lbs because right now I'm at 137lbs. I'm 5"2' and need suggestions on what type of foods I should eat?
At 14, your body isn't fully developed, so you need to be careful, when cutting calories, in order to insure that your bones, muscles and other organs develop properly.  If you center your diet around lots of veggies, lean protein, whole grains and low fat dairy, you should be okay; just watch your portion sizes, but don't cut too many calories.  
Just echoing- watch how many calories you cut, because it could be dangerous if you cut too many.

For the most part try not to worry too much about your weight right now- worry about your overall health. Skip the junk-chips, soda, and candy and start a sport or something that keeps you active. Eat 4-5 times a day; NEVER EVER skip breakfast, and add a low calorie snack or two to your daily foods. Remember eating too little calories does make your body go into starvation mode and hold on to fat. Eat LOTS of veggies, fruits, lean proteins, whole grains, and low fat dairy. Eat good sources of fats such as avocado, coconut, eggs, and nuts; avoid fried foods and foods high in saturated fat. You might also want to talk to your parents or dr about a multivitamin.

If you change your diet and activity level you should see some results or at least feel a difference. Keep in mind though miracles don't happen overnight. It's taken me nearly 2 years to loose 35 lbs and I'm only halfway there. It's easy to get jaded when it comes to loosing weight, so try to keep optimistic.
You should avoid processed food try food with low carbs, high in nutrition and fibre will help in digestion. And better you go for paleo diet.