Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Hi. New here. Motivation!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Hi. New here. Motivation!!!

Hi. I'm new to this site. Looking for friends to motivate me and I can motivate in return. WE CAN DO THIS!! I am a 35 yr old mom of 4. I am 255 lbs.  I have never been this big. I have developed a hypothyroid problem and rheumatoid arthritis. Which the extra lbs don't help. I am also borderline diabetic. I am 5'8". So I am about 90 lbs overweight, but I have already lost 40 lbs due to loss of my grandfather & stress. My new goal is to lose 55 lbs then I will go from there. I have 4 counting on me to be around awhile. No more southern fried food for me. Lol
Congratulations on the 40 pound loss, even though stress is not a good way to lose it.  

First off, if you are hypothyroid, you absolutely need to make sure that your thyroid levels (actual hormone levels, not just TSH) are right for you.  Many of us who are hypo, have trouble getting levels adjusted right "for us", not just right on the blood test.  If you'd like more information on that, check out the thyroid forum, here on MedHelp.

I think the rheumatoid arthritis, will be easier to treat, once you take some of the weight off bones, muscles, joints.

Borderline diabetic/insulin resistance requires a very low glycemic diet.  That means sticking to foods that won't raise the blood sugar quickly.  You should opt for lean meats, eggs and low/no fat dairy that contain protein that will keep you feeling fuller longer.  Also opt for lots and lots of veggies (fiber).... most veggies are now considered "calorie free", if you don't load them with oil, cream sauces, cheese, etc. 5-9 servings/day is a good goal.   Limit fruits to 1-2 servings/day since most fruits have a lot of sugar, which will raise blood sugar.  When eating fruit, opt for apples, pears, etc that have the most fiber.  Stay away from fruit juices.  Oh, and don't forget the add in a couple servings of "good" fats, such as those that come from avocados, olive oil, nuts and nut butters, seeds, etc.  Go for whole grains, such as whole grain bread, pasta, brown rice (instead of white), since these have more fiber and protein and will help keep you feeling fuller.

Preparing healthy meals for yourself can have the added benefit of teaching your children to choose healthy options.  Watching portion sizes is essential.

MedHelp has an awesome food diary, in which you can record what you eat, how many portions you have, etc and it will calculate the calories you ate in a day's time.  It will also help you calculate the number of calories you "should" be eating each day.  If you'd like to try that and need help setting it up, let me know.

AND -- there always has to be one, doesn't there?  LOL  

Don't forget exercise.  I know that with 4 kids, you probably think you get plenty, but that's not always the case.  You could try going for a brisk walk every day, along with the vacuuming, sweeping, and other movements necessary for keeping a home and raising 4 kids.  You might also look into doing some yoga; walking and yoga are my favorites....  There are great videos available, both online, on TV and at the nearest department store.  Yoga can be a bit "daunting" at first, because you'll swear that you'll break something if you try to accomplish those poses...... lol   Truth is, you only do what feels comfortable and don't worry about doing them like the "instructor".  It's amazing that the more you do it, the more your moves look like the instructor and the more limber you'll feel. Stretching and toning those muscles, is what it's all about.