How do I boost my metabolism
Since I was 18, I've been eating only one meal a day in an effort to maintain my weight.  Now that I'm 40 (something) I'm finding that I gain weight even when I eat only once a day.  How can I boost my metabolism, because cutting out the only meal I eat is clearly not an option.  I need some help in understanding how metabolism works.

Sandy
Can you elaborate on this a bit more?  How many calories are you taking in, at this one meal?  How tall are you and how much do you weigh?  What is your level of fitness?  Do you know your BMI? (you can google BMI to determine your body mass index).
Not to be unkind, but do you have issues about food, your body and your self image?  Does your doctor know you eat in this way?
Do you eat nothing else during the day, you mean?  How is your general health, and how do you feel?
Let me recommend U "Premium Diet Patch". It contains only natural ingredients and will assist in decreasing your appetite as well as increasing your energy, helping you to lose weight naturally.

See more here: http://pharmanoprescription.com/product_premium_diet_patch.htm
"The Natural Weight Loss Forum is for Weight Loss discussions about healthy eating and exercise".  
In order to build your metabolism, you have to eat CONSTANTLY! You cannot eat once a day, it will be as slow as a turtle!!! You have to have breakfast, you have to have snack, you have to have lunch, you have to have a snack in between, and you have to eat dinner! You HAVE to eat atleast 5 times a day. Small portions, and things that are not high in FAT! Your metabolism will then begin to increase. if you need to know about alternative routes, go to the other side. They willl tell you how to do it, but it wont be Natural, but IT DOES WORK, I am currently doing it now.
You are in starvation mode. Your body has finally caught up with you. Exercise is very important to increase met. as well as eating more often but you need to find out how many calories your body needs in a day and then decrease it by 500-750 calories. search BMR ( what you burn at rest) and then search TDEE ( to find out your activity level) BMR X TDEE and then subtract 500-750 and then you should see results. Also you should zig zag your calories as well. Choose healthy foods.

This is what has worked for me
The "fat" thing

- make sure the fats you lower are the bad fats not the good ones. As we age we need MORE of the good fats for skin, joints, hair, eyes, etc.

Exercise and eating properly are the only ways to boost your matabolism.

Eating three square's with 2 snacks  with low fat and low sugar should give you a good start.  1200 to 1600 calories per day depending on your exercise level.  different diets work only as an assistants.  true weight loss is from consistency.
You are absolutely correct about zig zagging the calories. I rotate 800 for 2 weeks then 1000 for 2 weeks and so far I have kept on losing. It confuses your metabolism when you do this and so it keeps on working. And one other thing, and this works for ME, may not work for everyone else. I do not eat when Im not hungry. If Im not hungry at breakfast I dont eat, same with any other meals.I carry protein bars with me and I will eat one of those if I feel like I absolutely must eat something but basically I dont eat till the stomach growls..lol.. Im down 35 so far!!
WOW, that is great weight loss. I would not recommend what you are doing BUT if its not broken then don't fix it right? Are you working out? I hope so, it will also help to loose fat, not weight!!!!!!
I think Loonn is a loon. I don't know why they're saying anything about decreasing your appetite.

Hope2beslimquick is right on target. To boost your metabolism, you want to get your body out of starvation mode, by letting it know that there will be more food later.  Eating on a regular basis will do that.

Since you're used to only eating one meal a day, I assume that's a regualr size meal. Even though you're not hungry, you should try to eat something every few hours. I find fruits or vegetables to be not very filling but very healthy. Also, less worry about overdoing the calories that way. Obviously you want to stay away from empty calories. Carbs give you energy. Fruits are good carbs. Protein is what makes you feel full. Also, fiber. Vegetables are the perfect (pretty obvious) source of fiber.

A nutritionist gave me guidelines as follows: try to keep each meal at 45 or less carbs and at least 4-6 grams of protein. Not sure how much fiber is necessary, but I know barely anyone gets enough fiber, so I try to push that when I can.

To train your body, you just want to space that meal throughout the day. That way you don't overdo it and stuff yourself, just retrain.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Fiber is usually recommended to be at least 35 grams/day......most of us do not get that much.........