Weight Loss & Dieting Community
How many calories should I be eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

How many calories should I be eating

I am currently 362 lbs, 35 yrs old female 5"7 inches tall. I am currently consuming 1800 calories a day.. Is this a good range to lose 2 lbs a week???
Ok so the average person is supposed to intake 2000 calories a day 35mg of fiber. What you want to do is make sure you are NOT starving yourself. Your body will go into starvation mode and keep the weight on. Drink lots of water 64 oz a day. When you read a label take the protein and the fiber and try to  match them. Also the average person only should be having 300 carbs a day. Sugars are a carb so dont add them to the carbs on the label ( i did that for the longest time lol) Its going to be hard the first month but after that it is a piece of cake. good luck and I would like to keep in contact with you if that is ok. I have also put myself back on my diet after having my two kids they have kind of kicked my butt.
That's great info to have .. thanks!

I have MedHelp's Water Tracker and love it .. that's an idea too!

http://www.medhelp.org/user_trackers/gallery/water

C~
There's not hard and fast rule as to how many calories you should eat. You need to calculate your calories, based on your own needs.  Not eating enough will cause your body to go into "starvation mode", in which it will hold on to existing fat stores if it thinks there's not enough food being provided.  

Your calorie needs are based on your weight, height, age, activity level.  We can help you do the calculation, if you like.

You should opt for higher lean protein, and fiber, such as that found in veggies, whole gains, nuts, seeds, etc.

Carbs are broken down into 2 types.......

Simple carbs, which includes refined sugar, flour, white rice products.  Simple carbs break down quickly in your body and if not used for energy right away, will be stored as fat.  These carbs include candies, cakes, cookies, white bread, etc and should be avoided

Complex carbs are those that take longer for the body to break down, therefore, keep you feeling fuller, longer.  These are the good carbs, are what you get your fiber from.  These carbs come from veggies, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes (beans), etc.  

Fruits are good for you, but many of them contain a lot of sugar, which can work in the body just like white table sugar.  You should opt for fruits such as apples, pears, etc that also have high fiber.  

You also need to make sure you take in an adequate amount of "good" fats, such as that in olive oil, nut butters (also have lots of protein), avocados, etc.  

Good sources of lean protein, include lean meats, chicken, fish, low/no fat dairy, etc.

You also need an adequate amount of exercise to go along with any diet you implement.

Also forgot to ask if you have any health issues, such as PCOS, insulin resistance and/or thyroid disease.  All of these will make weight loss difficult to seemingly impossible.  
I have high blood pressure but that is all. My doctor gave me this test to check my metabolism and it checked out normal. Also, mt thyroid is fine. I just eat too much of the wrong foods. I'm a student so I'm sitting most of the day. I do however enjoy swimming and will be starting in July.
I would love to keep in touch. Need all the support I can get. Really got to get this weight off!!!!
They say it takes 3500 calories burned to shed a pound. So if your goal is two pounds per week, then you would have to decrease your weekly calorie intake by 7000 or 1000 per day. This is probably why they recommend a safe Weightloss at 1/2 pound a week! :)

Good luck!
Yes, it takes 3500 calories burned to lose a pound.  This is easier done by dropping calorie intake by 500 calories/day and burning an extra 500 calories to make the 1000.  Dropping 1000 calories/day from the diet may leave a person with not enough calories to live on.

Weight can usually, safely be lost at the rate of 1-2 pounds/week.

I am a 33 year old type 2 diabetic that ways 198.6 I don't know how many calories I am suppose to have per day can someone plz helpme
We need more information in order to calculate your calorie needs.

How tall are you and what's your activity level?