Weight Loss & Dieting Community
How to start?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

How to start?

Hi, I'm 42 yrs old and I've never tried to diet before. I've gone from size 12 to 20, yes I'm female. My question is where do I  start, what do I do ect. I'm at my largest right now. I have many painful health issues.
Panda
About me: female, 46, wast 260 lbs, currently 180 lbs

First of all, don't try and change everything at once. It will be too overwhelming and there will be a great chance of quitting. Get support. If your friends and family aren't supporting you, find others that will, even if they are just online. I am on a free weightloss website (***********.com) that offers support, information, tracking, menu suggestions, etc. I feel the best thing to do for better health is to avoid as much processed foods as possible, make sure you are getting enough water, and limit sweets. Notice I did not say eliminate. I have my daily 85-90% dark chocolate and occasionally other treats, I do often put honey in my oatmeal, etc. I know this sounds cliche, but don't go on a "diet." You want to make a lifestyle change. You want to do something that you can keep up with for the rest of your life. In other words, you want to eat healthy and correct amounts, but don't deprive yourself or restrict calories too much. Also, do try and work regular exercise in your schedule but if you are not used to it, work it in slowly. Don't try and run a 5k without working up to it. Start with a 15-30 min walk or something like that.
Panda
I guess they don't like websites posted. It is ***********.
I would advise for you to talk to your doctor. This way you can make sure that you not overdoing it. You want to end up being healthy and happy. I am restarting and actually going to join a program at work that is offered free to me. Its basically similar to Weight Watchers where you track your food, water, exercise and meet with a group of people and a nutritionist.

Just to start, try to eat less of fat, fried foods. Incorporate more fruits and vegetables. Exercise is important, start slow.

And, think positive. You can do it.