Weight Loss & Dieting Community
I want to lose weight!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

I want to lose weight!

Ok, So I am 22 and I way 15 stone, which I am embarassed about because all of my friends have very beautiful bodies and then theres me at size 16/18. When I was younger I wasn't over weight or even chubby. I did dancing for 4 hours a week and when i quit when I was 16 this is when I noticed I started to put a lot of weight on however I carried on doing exercise every week. I do not over eight, although I do tend to eat the wrong things. I really want to lose weight because I hate being this fat ugly lump, I look at myself and feel disappointed and disgusted with myself. I did start to go to weight watchers when I first started putting weight on but I didn't have the motivation, I need the motivation. Can someone please give me some advise on what to do? I would love to be an health size 10/12. Thank you.
Btw, My clothes sizes are UK sizes :)
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Common causes like overeating, lack of exercise, diabetes, hypothyroidism have to be ruled out in your case. You must then look for other causes. One is water retention due to low serum protein. This along with anemia can cause unexplained weight gain. Adrenal gland problems are the other cause. Cushing’s syndrome should be looked for. The kidney function too should be assessed. Late night snacking and poor sleep too can cause weight gain. Polycystic ovary too causes weight gain, hence has to be ruled out by an ultrasound of abdomen.  Certain medications like antidepressants cause weight gain.
If the above causes are eliminated then you can join a weight trainer and a nutrition expert and follow their advice and lose weight under their guidance.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Hi, You need to not worry about all your friends weight. You need to continue to eat small amounts regularly. You need to exercise everyday. Do you have a dog if not get one that you make a commitment to to walk everyday. Obviously don't do this if you think you can not commit. I recently purchased a dog and he is a wonderful motivation. I have lost weight. See weight watchers or Jenny craig but i think if you eat sensibly and regularly exercise this is the best option. Lifestyle change works not fad diets. Good luck
Hi Jamie. I know exactly how you feel. Ive always been bigger than my friends.AND taller!I had my first baby in 09 and that really affected my weight.I had lost most of my pregnancy weight, but after a month or two it started coming back.I dnt eat very bad and I consider myself to be pretty active. I really think it was the birth control Implanon that caused the weight gain. Considering that I got it a month after giving birth. I went up to the same weight I was while I was pregnant! So embarassing. I walked and ate well. Nothing seemed to help. A friend of mine mentioned some pills she started to take. I was like dont bother, Im not interested in investing my money into some chemical infected pill that spsbly helps with weightloss. She laughed knowing how serious I was about that and then she said they consist of only natural ingredients. I still didnt wna hear it. A couple weeks went by and we got together again. She looked noticeably different and I congratulated her. She brought up the pills and told me she lost 13lbs by her second week. Then she pulled out the container and told me to read what they were made with. So as we waited for our food we went back and forth about them. Long story... I decided to do my own research on them. The company is Healthy People Co and it started in Mexico. Now there are different distribution centers throughout Mexico. A few years back, the first distribution center in the United States was made in California. Soon enough, the products sold themselves and now there are tons of Independent Distributors. That includes myself. How did this happen? lol After extensive research on the company, products, people, testimonies, ingredients and so on, I decided that I would give it a try. Ive seen many before and after pictures and read so many testimonies. The ingredients are 100% natural and were even used as herbal remedies by our ancestors. They include-aloe, spearmint, spirulina algae, parsley, peppermint oil, cocolmeca, root file, lemon grass, orange leaves, green tea, mangosteen, buchu, garcinia cambogia, tila, rosemary, menthol, jamaica, oil of cassis, cranberry, soy protein, goji, guarana, reishi, passion flower, lemon balm, mistletoe, reed fistula, amaranth, prickly pear, damiana california, gotu kola, red clover, wild yam, oils from tamarindo mango and guava, noni, malva, cuachalalate, manrrubio, pawpaw, flax, wheat germ, wheat bran, amaranth, mallow, fenugreek, acai, neem, maca and that is just to name a few!lol There are different products used for different reasons. Let me tell you though that they have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Also that they are not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or even prevent any illness or disease. With that being said, I want to share my success story. I did look up many of the ingredients and found what they have been used for. When I made the decision to try them, I really thought they would not work for me and that my friend was just one of the lucky ones. I specifically used the Green Oxygen, Everslim and Everlax. I bought a brand new scale the day before, I measured my neck, arms, chest, waist, hips and my thighs. The next day I started the products and went about my normal activity. Im not the type of person who goes to the gym or who will eat a salad rather than a steak or chicken alfredo. I was told that I didn't have to change anything so I was going to be the same as always. I felt energized the second day I took the products. I don't mean wired or anxious. Just like I was refreshed and not tired or lazy. The products were working to detoxify my body and that is so important for people to do. I never knew that until I read about these products. No, they didn't give me the runs or have me in the bathroom every five minutes.lol On the fourth day, I weighed myself and I was down 3lbs. Yes, it is normal for your weight to go up and down as we eat day to day. Im just stating what I saw. I continued to take the products and weighed myself again on day 7. I was down 6lbs. I was convinced that it was the products and let my mom know. She decided to get some after seeing that I was dropping the weight. Note that she has hypothyroid and has never been able to lose weight on any other products or diet regime. We weren't sure that it would do the same for her but were willing to give it a try anyway. Sure enough she lost 3lbs her first week and continued to drop the weight. I started the products  about 2and1/2 months ago and weighed myself today. My total weightloss is 25lbs. I went from 251 to 226 within this tiime and I did not diet or exercise. Neither of us did. We eat whatever we want. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if we had gone to the gym and changed our diets, we could have lost more. We don't have that kind of dedication. lol I'm glad to hear that you do though. The products work and that is why I became a part of the company. My friends noticed and being that I kept it a secret hoping that they would notice and ask themselves, it felt good to have them complimenting me and wondering how I finally dropped the weight. After their real interest on my weightloss, I did the same thing as my friend and brought out my pills and had them read the ingredients. I explained my research on them. Now, some of them are using the products as well! Im not sure if they are available where you are located but if you are interested in getting more information, I'll be happy to help you out. You can email me at myHealthyPeopleCo_ElPaso@hotmail, gmail or yahoo.lol Whichever you'd like. The products are great and if you have tried working out and dieting without any success, maybe you'd be interested in giving this a try. Either way I wish you the best in health and success.Good Luck!
i gained weight when i quit dance too! if i could afford to, i would start doing the classes again. yoga and pilates are nice in the meantime.

for me, beyond exercise (i'm admittedly not the best at working out) going back to vegetarianism really helped me get the weight off and keep it off. it's also way cheaper to be a vegetarian! also eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day helps a lot.

i also started cooking most of my own meals at home which also helped. when you are cooking your own food you burn calories, eat more whole/fresh foods and fewer chemicals/junk, and it really becomes fun! i went from an occasional pasta maker to a bit of a gourmet. now i can be proud of what i'm eating instead of feeling guilty - i'm also always cooking for friends now, and i find i eat less and move around a lot more when i am being social. if you do eat out, only eat half of the portion you are served - most restaurants have insane portions.

after you have been eating good healthy home cooked foods for a couple of months, you might even get sick if you try to eat junk. its a lot easier for me to avoid bad foods now since i know they are going to make me feel awful - if i were to eat a fried fast food meal right now, i would get a serious food-hangover.

if you drink alcohol, quit. a glass of red wine every now an again won't kill you, but beer and liquor will definitely sabotage any weight loss attempts.

if you want a way to track your caloric intake, check out ***********.com. it's free.

good luck!