Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Kids on a gluten free diet when its not necessary.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

I have a friend (not really close) who is really big so it was suggested to her that she may be allergic to gluten. She has been off gluten for a while (7 months ish) but not thoroughly. She will still occasionally have pizza take out ans take out chinese food. If there is a sauce that may contain gluten, she goes all out and eats bread and the whole bit. Then feels like poo later cuz she isnt used to all this gluten all of a sudden. She also has her 8 year old daughter on a strict gluten free diet. Her daughter has no problem with bread and isnt over weight. She has a bit of a tummy but its not bad for a kid. Im thinking this cant be good for her daughter. Her boyfriend eats glutens because he is in the army so when they go in the field, he has to eat whatever they give him so he cant be picky.
A gluten free diet can actually be higher in calories than one that is not.  Baked goods that are gluten free are made with other kinds of grains and often have more fat and sugar in them to get the right kind of mouth feel.  Cutting out gluten can eliminate snacks that are bad for you since most fast foods and junk foods have gluten.  A gluten free diet can be very healthy and there is no need to be concerned about the daughter.  I'm on it now and plan to be for at least a month to see if I feel any better without it.  She is not being smart by eating it occasionally.  Her reaction is a clear indicator that it bothers her.  If she has more than an allergy and is celiac (hopefully she was tested before she changed her diet as you can't change before testing) then she could be hurting her long term health.
I've had some people suggest to me that a gluten free diet might be helpful, but I talked to my doctor about it and he really didn't think it necessary (I've not been dx'd with celiac), but said it "couldn't hurt".  I know some people who have lost a lot of weight on it, but as with any type of diet, you have to watch the calories.  You can't just cut out the wheat, rye and barley and say, "well, I cut those out, now I can eat what I want"....

As Trudie said -- you still have to watch the fat/sugar content and count the calories as with any other type diet.  

I can't see why a mother would put an 8 yr old on a restricted diet like that if she wasn't having a problem, with either the gluten or the weight --- unless mom doesn't want this diet, which apparently she doesn't or she wouldn't "fudge" on it with pizza of all things -- and just wants "company" with it, since her boyfriend eats what he wants - kind of like "if *I* have to do this, I'm NOT going to do it alone"...  A tummy on an 8 yr old is most likely just baby fat and will go away as she grows taller, unless she doesn't get any exercise.  

I hope your friend will rethink the options for her daughter.  
I hope she re-thinks it too but she sees it as 'its healthy for me so she can do it to' I havnt talked to her in about a month and she has just sent me snarky rude comments so I make no effort for her anymore. I hope her child gets what she needs.
Sorry to hear that your friend is making "snarky" comments --- sounds like the only reason she's making her daughter do this because she doesn't want to do it alone - kind like it makes her feel better if someone else suffers with her.   I'm with you, I hope she comes to her senses so her child can get what she needs.  
I have to say that this family scares me. The mom is making the family do this gluten free thing. Even her baby. He turns 1 tomorrow and weighs just over 16 lbs. Those are the facts that Ive seen for myself. Along with how the dad is so mean to the daughter (not his). Nothing an outsider who doesnt see them much anymore can do.
I am very sorry to hear that children are being treated badly.  I know there are a lot of people now going to gluten free diets.  I discussed it with my doctor and maybe it will put your mind at ease that he told me "you can, it won't hurt anything, but why do it if you don't have to?"  So at least it might help you know that it won't hurt the children and some say it's even better for them because they get the veggies and fruits, etc instead of bread, pasta, etc.

I'm also sorry to hear that the dad treats the child poorly even if she's not his biological daughter.  Hopefully, things will straighten out for them and the children will not be hurt.  You are right -- there's not anything that an outsider can do, short of reporting them and it doesn't sound like there's much to report at this point.