Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Low Carb Diets

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Low Carb Diets

Who has done a low carb diet that worked well? Can you give me any tips for low carb snacks/meals?
I have tried low carb and it doesn't work well for me; I've heard the same from many.  

The trick is not cutting out ALL carbs, it's choosing the right ones.  There are 2 types of carbs; simple carbs, such as those found in sodas, things made with white refined sugar, flour, white rice, and even fruit.  The other type of carb is the complex carb (otherwise known as dietary fiber), which is found in whole grains, veggies, seeds, nuts, etc.

The simple carbs are broken down quickly and enter the blood stream as sugar, which if not used, is then stored as fat.  Complex carbs/fiber are broken down slowly and keeps you feeling fuller longer.  

Low carb diets advocate eliminating most fruits, veggies, milk, etc and centering on high protein, high fat foods (check out the Atkins diet).  Unfortunately, by eliminating dairy, veggies, fruits, etc, you also eliminate a lot of the vitamins/minerals and fiber that's so important.

A low carb snack might include a handful of nuts, celery sticks with peanut butter, edamame, carrot sticks with hummus, a hard boiled egg, etc.

If you stick with complex carbs, you can actually eat more food and still lose weight.
Cut out sugar, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. Eat eggs, fruit, veggies, lean meats such as pork loin and turkey breast, white fish, nuts in moderate quantities, and as for dairy, allow yourself some edame cheese every other day or so, as well as fat free yogurt. One day in my diet looks like this:

Breakfast: omelet (1 egg or 2 whites and 1 yolk) w/ a couple of baby plum tomatoes, a big mushroom, a spring onion and a couple of spinach leaves.

Mid-morning snack: golden apple with a tbsp or crunchy peanut butter.

Lunch: Tuna salad (tuna in water, mixed green leaves, red onion, baby plum tomatoes, cucumber, half an orange...dressing: tbsp of olive oil and half a lemon)

Evening snack: goji berries and 7-10 walnuts

Dinner: grilled pork loin chop, steamed broccoli, baby beet root and carrot sticks.

I drink 2L of water and 3-4 cups of green tea w/jasmine a day. Exercise for 30-45 min every other day.
Thanks ladies!!! I`ll deffinatly take your advice! :)

xoxo
Bailey
Dog
I have used a lo-carb diet in the past, with very good results :-)  One snack that I REALLY like are parmesan/rosemary "crisps".  Very easy to make - get a bag of shredded parmesan from the supermarket - it looks like shredded mozarella - Target have them - put in a bowl and add (preferably fresh) some chopped up rosemary.  Put on a lightly oiled baking sheet in small piles (about 2" in diameter), not touching, and cook in oven at 400 degrees for about 8-10 mins. Remove as soon as they start turning dark brown at the edges. Leave to cool, then put in a ziplock baggie to snack on. You'll probably only need 2-3 for a snack as they are very rich.  Hope this helps :-)
Britmeme
Thanks for the tip!.. those sound soooo good!!!! :)
i have a friend that did low carb, but honestly she may have overdone it..she literally ate less than 10 carbs in total a day. And she lost a TON of weight, but unless she eats like that forever she'll gain it back as quick as she lost it. I have heard a lot of people say low carb works for them, but I can't seem to stick to it!! :(