Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Lower triglycerides

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Lower triglycerides

My triglyceride level is high; after research it would be due to drinking?  How long before it goes back to normal after quitting drinking and should I take some niacin?
I too had trouble with triglyceride levels a while ago. Alcohol and certainly bring them up if you drink too much. Tri levels really are the best example of "everything in moderation" dieting, because they show when you're over-endulging yourself. However, triglyceride's also show that you're not exercising the way you should when they get up too high.

I would recommend you stop drinking until the levels go do. When tri's get too high, you can face serioius heart problems, even strokes, and you don't want that. If you want them to go down faster, try exercising more. Even taking a walk around the neighborhood every day helps bring down tri levels.

Try eatting more healthy foods. Cut the fast food as much as possible, watch your portion sizes, and add more fruits and veggies to the diet. Keeping things in balance is the best way to control you triglycerides.

Once your levels are back to normal, watch how much you drink. Don't drink every night. When you do drink, try to limit yourself to three drinks. You don't want mess with those levels.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

~ Em
Try exercising more.  My triglycerides were up to 234 in Nov and I've recently started walking 3-5 mi/day and do Wii Fit or yoga and as of 2/21/12, they're down to 154.  

Thank you!  I do eat healthy foods and ride my stationary bike 6 days a week.  I'm certain it was do to drinking too much.  Will probably go have it checked again the end of the month and hope it has gone down!