Weight Loss & Dieting Community
My 13 year old Daughter gaining weight fast-HELP! Concerned Mother

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Hello-

My daughter just turned 13. I am so concerned about her weight.  We both have enrolled for a membership at the gym.  She is excited and so am I.  My daughter was very petite girl growing up and in the last couple of years she has gained weight tremendously. In the last couple of years I have taken her to get her physical and with in the years time she seemed to gain 25 lbs within each yearly visit.  The last Doctors visit she had she weighed 146 lbs and I weighed her on 3-6-06 and she is now 152 lbs. She is not a tall girl she is about 5 feet to 5.1.  I do know that exercising is very important as well as her eating habits.  What she eats at school I can not control.

I would like to know if there are any ideas anyone can give me to help my daughter as well as helping me follow through with them.  She is not big on eating heavy its just what she eats.  I know diet pills are not something I would ever think of giving her.  I do know she is not energetic at all.  But of course any one wouldnt be energetic if you felt some what over weight.  I was wondering if giving her or consulting with her doctor on some kind of vitamin that would help her with energy.  

Are B-12 vitamins okay for kids? Are they just vitamins? I know some people say it helps with weight loss.  Any answers or suggestion on anything that could help?

Thanks-
karibritt01

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will start with the cleaning out the house for any junk food.  I do know that we dont eat much junk because I am pretty cautious of what I eat.  This is why I said what she eats away from home is something I dont know. Maybe I should stop giving her lunch money and start making her take lunch to school.  Oh how she will hate to do that. You know once they are in junior high taking a lunch is embarrasing.

My daughter is the one who suggested to me about the gym this is why I started us both on a membership.  More activities together is something we definately need to do.  

I was told that her father became pretty overweight at the age of 13 and actually earlier.  I believe at 13 he had a complex of his weight and started to work out.  When i met him he was pretty fit I must say.

Like I said she is not a big eater and never really has been.  She is real picky about food.  When I look at her she doesnt look real big but then I do see her every day.  

My other daughter is 15 soon to be 16 in April and weigh's 142 but she is 5 feet 7 inches.  A big diffrence but then again my odest is very active and always has been.  My youngest is just really short and the weight looks different.

I really do appreciate your input and will take it in and try to work with it. First I will look in the kitchen and clean up what is not needed.
I dont think you were to judgemental on anything.

I am pretty much careful on what I say about her weight or looks and etc.

Thanks again
Hi I am a mother and I have a 13 year old daughter I actually bought her a video on pilates and she was doing great! But what had happened was that she gave up and started eating sweets and junk again. She has excercised but she gets tired easily and she actually asked me if she can have some pills. I told her no and she understood me but it's hard for her and she really wants to be able to wear a bikini this summer. I really want her to be happy again. Because it depresses me when she feels bad about herself. She tells me that everyone that she hangs out with are skinny. And that the reason she started gaining weight was when she eats at night and she eats hott cheetos. Please help me and my daughter I want her to be happy again. PLEASE HELP MY 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER NOW!!!!!
Sports is an excellent idea! If you don't do anything else with your daughter, as long as u involve her in sports it will be JUST FINE! I'm 17. I WAS into sports very much all through junior high and my freshman year of high school, that kept me at an average weight and i was satisfied with my weight as well. after my freshman year i quit athletics and all i ever did was go to school, home, eat..ect. i was SO LAZY and lost so much of the energy i once had. BEFORE i weighed 110-115 lbs and i was 5'3. now i am 5'4 and weigh 140 lbs! that was the biggest mistake of my life - quitting sports. Now, i am here, trying to lose all the weight i gained. Wish me Luck!

I wish you and your daughter all the luck in the world! It's going to be ok! Take Care.

-Laura
hi, I am the mother of 13 years girl. mine is also same problem with her. She gained weight after starting her periods at 13. She is active & likes sports and plays soccer, basketball and Track. She is 5f 31/2 and her weight is 135lbs! She is taking lunch from school an dshe didn't eat anything in school. but we eat rice everyday. i don't know maybe rice could be gain weight..... She likes food and she eats everyday 4 or 5 cookies, 1 or 2 granola bars etc. What can i do? any suggessions please...........
-mvk
My daughter also has gained a lot of weight after starting her period at 11 years old.  Her eating habits have changed.  She now craves chocolate whereas before she could take it or leave it.   She is still very active and exercises dailey so the problem is with what and how much she is eating.  She eats a lot.  I know at this age they need food for growing but if it is turning into fat then it is too much.  I don't know what to do about it and I am so worried.   I know that she is worried too but she says when she tries to control it, it makes her want more.    Does anyone have any suggestions?
Ok i am turning 13 in like 2 months.... i am somwhere between the weights on 195-203.... i hate to exercice.... its hard to diet.... i want  to look like all my friends... thin.. i love to swim but feel uncomftable wearing a bathing suit in public... i get made fun of once and a while at school.... i feel sorry for my self and i hate it... please if there is someone out there who can help me... please i need it bad i want to be like 135 in the next 2 months... for my 13th birthday, and just got in to the 7th grade please..... im tired of it and been this way my whole life... i need help!
                                                                         - Alana.S

My daughter is going to turn 11 in March and has started her period. This year she is living with her father b/c we switch years due to court order. I was afraid of her gaining weight due to the fact that her dad weighs in at 680lbs. My fears were correct b/c my daughter has gained a wopping 50lbs since she decided to live with him in July of 2012. She is uncomfortabley over weight, and I feel like there is nothing I can do, b/c if I say anything about her weight, I'm the bad guy. I've tried to talk to her father but he's on the same mindset as my daughter. To top it off she is taking care of him b/c due to his weight, he is unable to work and on disability. I do NOT want this life for my daughter. The courts wont listen to me... I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do. I feer she is going to get to big and it's going to be to late.
My daughter has a similar issue.  She had 2 PE classes last semesters and she gained weight.  I don't know what to do.  I had her T3 checked and it was really low.  The doctors tell her to eat less.  She doesn't eat that much snack stuff because I don't have it in the house.  I think it is hormonal but I am not sure what to do.  Doesn't anyone have any suggestions?
You need to take your daughter to the doctor and get her tested for hypothyroidism.  The tests she needs are TSH, Free T3 and Free T4. Make sure it's FREE T3/T4, not total.

You should also have her tested for thyroid antibodies to determine if she has Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the developed world.

What was her T3 when you had it tested?  Result, plus reference range.  Was that all that was tested?
Hi,  Her free T$ was 1.10, and her Free T3 was a 2.7 and TSH was 1.06, and reverse T# was 211.  Is there some other test I should ask for? He never gave me the results from her thyroid tests until I went and asked for them just recently.  He just gave me a graph showing that she was way below normal. The doctor put a note at the bottom  of the results of the thyroid test saying  "await neuro science HRT Lab"  I don't know what that means.  I am calling him tomorrow about it.    
What are the reference ranges for the Free T3 and Free T4?  Ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from her own report.  Those are the actual thyroid hormones and their levels seem quite low, if the ranges are near what we normally see. Also her RT3 seems terribly high, which could indicate that she's hypo at the cellular level, but the pituitary thinks there's plenty of hormones, which is why TSH is good.

HRT, typically, stands for Hormone Replacement Therapy; and is *usually* used in relation to reproductive hormones;  has the doctor ordered more tests that you don't have results for?

Here are the lab ranges Free T4 .59 to 2.03  Free T3 ranges are 2.9 to 4.2.  He gave me a hormone test for her to take but I didn't have the $300 to pay for it, and still don't.  I am just not sure what to do to help her.  
You seem very knowledgable about this.  Are you a doctor or someone that has dealt with it before.  
Wow - her levels are really low, especially the Free T3, which at 2.7 is actually below the range.  

What hormone test did the doctor order?  Can you look on the lab order and see what it is?  

I wonder if you need to try to find a different doctor.  The weight gain could very well be because her Free T3 is so low.  Free T3 is the thyroid hormone that is actually used by the individual cells.  It looks like your daughter is converting too much FT4 to Reverse T3, which is keeping the Free T3 from entering the cells.  This is usually treated by administering a T3 medication.

No,  I'm not a doctor; I have hypothyroidism caused by autoimmune thyroid disease and I've done tons of research on the subject.  I'm a Community Leader on the Thyroid Community, as well as here, and I invite you to take a look, if you haven't already, at some of the posts and information available on that community.  We have a lot of members who have trouble getting their doctors to believe that they really have thyroid issues, even though blood tests might be "in range".  In your daughter's case, I'd guess that the doctor is placing more importance on TSH, which was "normal" than he is on the actual thyroid  hormones.  

The thyroid forum can be accessed via the following link.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73
I am not sure which test he ordered.  My daughter had done the spit test into some viles and then found out we were going to have to pay for it out of pocket, so we threw the test out. The doctor has her on L-Thyronine 112.5mcg per day.  Why would she have a low T3 at such a young age?  Will this really help with her weight gain.  I appreciate your insight.  I have not known where to turn.  
"The doctor has her on L-Thyronine 112.5mcg per day."  Are you sure that's not L-thyroxine?  At 112 mcg day of liiothyronine, your daughter would be going very hyper, because that's a very powerful T3 med. Please check and verify the name of the med on the bottle, along with the dosage.

Your daughter apparently has hypothyroidism; weight gain/inability to lose is a key symptom of hypo, so adding thyroid hormones can help with weight gain, but only if her levels get stabilized on a dosage that's right for her.  And then there's the possibility that she will still have to work at losing, including calorie restriction and plenty of exercise.

It is L-Thyronine 112.5. She hasn't been taking it consistently, which maybe she shouldn't be.  Should I call my doctor about this?  I am not sure what to do.  I feel so lost.  I did check out the website that you gave me.  It seems great.