New Year's Resolution
We've made it to Christmas and I guess most of you are busy celebrating with family and friends today.  We had our Christmas yesterday with the kids and grandkids, so today is a quiet day, with hubby, my aunt and myself.  

This morning, I've been busy cleaning the leftovers from the fridge - packed most of them up to take home with Auntie.  While I was doing the "clean out" on the fridge, I was thinking about how my weight has been such an issue for me over the past 3 yrs, but particularly over the past few months.

I don't usually make New Year's resolutions, because I find that I tend not to follow through, which makes me feel even worse.  I did not maintain my weight as I had hoped to do when we started the challenge back in Nov. I actually managed to pick up an additional 3 pounds, in spite of the fact that I had to go last week for a CT scan and was on a liquid diet from noon one day, until after I had the test the next morning.  While I did lose 3 pounds, I picked it all back up again, as soon as I ate a meal - no I did not eat that many calories in one sitting.

I have resolved to begin working on ways to reduce  my weight and keep it down - getting rid of the leftovers from the fridge, was my first step.  As the days go by, I will be adding more small steps, in an effort to get control of things, once again.

I'm wondering if any of you have actually formulated your New Year's resolution yet, in regards to your weight.  Or are you even making a New Year's resolution?  

If you have your plan all ready to go, would you be willing to share it with us?  Have you actually written your plan on paper, so you have a visual reminder?  Have you actually put your plan into "steps" to accomplish your goal or are you just saying "I'm going to lose weight this year?".  

I'm also interested in what your major motivation is for losing weight.  Is it due to health reasons? to look better? to gain more confidence?  The reasons for losing weight are as varied as the people trying to lose weight and the number of "diets" out there.  

I'm interested in your thoughts.  
i have done so many weight loss resolutions in the past that for the past few years i didn't even bother. but i plan on doing yet again another weight loss resolution. the difference this time is that i've been doing good losing weight, even during the holidays.

i want to lose weight for a couple of reasons, first and foremost is for my health. i work in disability, and a large of people who apply are very overweight and have heart problems at young ages, in early 30s, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. i want to be healthy for my kids, i want to be a good example for them and be able to keep up with them. and of course i want to look good, all through high school i was always around 110 and my high school reunion is in 2 years. and i've lost 30 pounds since middle of october, and already i have so much more confidence. i'm able to fit into pants i havent even been able to wear in 4 years! and that right there is motivation for me. not to mention that i look better in photos right now.

as for my plan, to take it one day at a time, and not beat myself up if i have a slip up here and there. i've given myself a time frame of 2 years to lose the extra weight i'm carrying. i want to lose about 70 pounds, and i think thats reasonable for 2 years.
HHmmm some fuel for thought and I really think I'm going to really give up the carbs again . I've kind of cheated and started back in on them for snacking during the day .. bad bad bad
Do you find that giving up carbs is a good thing?  I've tried that before, but always end up going backwards because I crave whatever I say I can't have.  

I'm wondering if it would be better to opt for the complex carbs - whole grains, veggies, etc and just eliminate the simple carbs, like refined sugar flour, white rice, etc...........

I always don't like to see people give up whole food groups because it seems that we always tend to start craving them after a while.......maybe incorporating a small "nibble" into each day's food consumption would work?