Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Pick a Veggie - "A"

A community of people interested in weight loss and dieting. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: balanced menus, popular diets, exercise, metabolism, healthy snacks, nutrition, and weight loss surgery.

Pick a Veggie - "A"

Okay, just for something different, let's play a little game!!  We will keep the game going for as long as you want.  

We will start with the letter "A" and work our way through the alphabet, with a different letter every few days, naming as many veggies as we can.  When you pick your veggie, try to explain why it's "good" for you (i.e low calorie, high in vitamins/fiber, etc), what drawbacks there might to it (i.e. high carbs/starchy), etc. AND, it would be nice if you could suggest a way (or ways) to prepare/serve the particular veggie....... see how simple this game is!!

Let's get started........
  • The Letter A (9 replies):
    Today is the letter A ... Pick an exercise, a fruit,...[more]
  • weight loss (1 replies):
    Hi, I'm 26 years old. I've gained weight due to pregnan...[more]
  • MUFAs (1 replies):
    I would like to take a MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acid)...[more]
  • Avocados (1 replies):
    Hi, it's been a month that I have been feeling a burnin...[more]
  • Rockin' Guac! (10 replies):
    This is from Hungry Girl. Haven't tried, but it sounds ...[more]
I'll go first, just to get the ball rolling......... A is for avocado.  

While some people might consider an avocado as a fruit, I generally refer to it as a veggie.

Avocados are chock full of monounsaturated fats, which are the "good" fats.  These fats, often referred to as "MUFA", are excellent for helping to maintain heart health, plus they help to make you feel more satisfied.

A one-ounce serving (approximately one-fifth of an Avocado) is just 50 calories, yet has lots of nutrients, 3 grams of monounsaturated fat and 1 gram of dietary fiber. It has zero cholesterol and just 0.5 grams of saturated fat (the “bad” type of fat).  

My favorite way to eat avocados is simply to slice into a salad or on a sandwich; however, it can be made into guacamole or or used in a variety of other recipes, as well. Avocados are a staple in the Mediterranean type diets.
Broccoli

Superfood, i put it in everything

In packed lunches, i pop it in and in the microwave the steam from the rest of the food, cooks it, crunchy and great !
Carrots

Great for your eyesight (due to the Vitamin A). However it's true that too many carrots can turn you orange!

They're also rich in fibre, antioxidants and minerals including falcarinol, which is believed to prevent cancer.
Cauliflower!!
Cauliflower is low in fat, but high in dietary fiber, folate, water, and vitamin C, possessing a high nutritional density.that's why it is great.you can eat it everytime .but what's more,it' s really easy to prepare:cauliflower can be roasted, boiled, fried, steamed or eaten raw, you just have to choose what you like more! :))
Wasn't yours supposed to be D? :)
It doesn't matter -- the original idea was to list as many veggies beginning with the letter A as possible, then after a few days, another post for the letter B, then C and on down the alphabet.  Apparently, I didn't make it clear......  

Anyone else think of veggie that start with the letter A?  
Oh I see, sorry......!
A is for the veggie:  Asparagus!

So, who likes Asparagus and if so, how do you eat it?
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
AlyssaWhite0908 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Track your weight over time