Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Question of the Month - May 2013

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Question of the Month - May 2013

What are your weight loss goals and what prompted them (health, looks, self-esteem, etc)?  What are you doing to reach your goals?
My goal is to lose 23 pounds, and my motivation is, all of the above.  I’ve developed weight related health issues, I don’t like the way I look and hate to even look in the mirror, because this body doesn’t seem like mine;  my self-esteem is very low, at this point.

I never had a weight problem until I developed hypothyroidism (under active thyroid), at which time I, literally, ballooned, gaining 30 pounds in less than 2 months. That was in 2007 and I wasn’t diagnosed with hypothyroidism until 2008, but I did manage to stop the gain, even though I couldn’t lose anything.  I might mention that I quit smoking in 2007, also, and that’s what my weight gain was attributed to.

It’s been a constant struggle every since, and I think I’ve lost and gained the same 10 lbs every week since my journey began.  

Admittedly, I haven’t really stuck with a program, until now.  Why now?  Because I was recently diagnosed with insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome, to go along with my hypothyroidism.  

Metabolic Syndrome is a set of symptoms marked by the presence of usually, three or more of a group of factors, such as high blood pressure, abdominal obesity, high triglyceride levels, low HDL, and insulin resistance.  The treatment is weight loss.

What am I doing to lose the weight?  With the help of my doctor’s office, we’re treating my high blood pressure and I’m tracking all my food intake and exercise.  

I’ve had a body composition test, and my goals were calculated, based on that, which considers height, weight, age and activity level.  I’ve been on this program for 2 months and have lost 1% of body fat, and gained 1 pound of lean muscle mass.  I’m going in the right direction, but I need to work harder at it, because I’m not getting there quickly enough.

We’re all different, so I’m trying to find my own balance of food/exercise, in order to come up with something I can live with over the long haul.  

Recording my food intake has been a real eye-opener, because it shows me where I need to change things.  I’m making the changes, one at a time, because I know if I try to change everything all at once, I won’t be able to stick with it.

Your turn………..
definitely all of the above and set a good example for my kids.. goal weight loss is about 35-40lbs.
My kids are both grown and have kids of their own, but my daughter is even heavier than I am, so maybe I can set an example for her, as well, if I can reach my own goals.  
Hi Barb! I'm new here. I've been dieting for a about 1 month and lost 5 lbs. I just got this journal app with hopes to do better. I have a walking workout I do daily and I wish I could jog but I'm not up to it yet. I try to keep under 2,000 calories a day ... it's tough. I don't feel like I eat much at all,i even eat only a granola bar for lunch. My hang up is Coffee,though I cut out sugar. I'm down to 133 lbs and my goal is 115. I'm 47 and the Mother of 4 children.
I am a 27yr old mother of 2. I am a full time college student and my goal is to lose the 10lbs I have gained in the last six months since my husband got back from his most recent deployment. I have always been very active and love to exercise because it makes me feel amazing.  I am just tracking my calories to lose the weight since I have no issues working out everyday. I haven't talked calories in two years, but just relying on my willpower hadn't been working. Teaching is an incredible weight loss tool.
I am a 27yr old mother of 2. I am a full time college student and my goal is to lose the 10lbs I have gained in the last six months since my husband got back from his most recent deployment. I have always been very active and love to exercise because it makes me feel amazing.  I am just tracking my calories to lose the weight since I have no issues working out everyday. I haven't tracked calories in two years, but just relying on my willpower hadn't been working. Tracking is an incredible weight loss tool.
I have  lose 11 lbs with daily exercise. I wake up early in the morning and didn't put any restriction on my diet
Good morning I wanted to know what are your daily exercise and how much time you do it for?
My reason is that I've had a weight problem since I was born.  Not kidding.  I'm 55 now and was double the weight I should have been at when I was 6 months old.  Luckily for me, I never got more than 35 lbs. over my ideal weight since I've always been active.  
If I don't track my food there's the possibility that I will fall into my husband's way of eating which he's slowly moving away from and he has dropped about 12 pounds in the past year.  All he had to do is give up soft drinks.
Me?  I can't remember the last time I've had a soft drink.  
When my doctor told me once to just back away from the table I had to say "whoa there - wait a minute".  I was just born this way.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Shannon79 commented on Saw the babies again ...
54 mins ago
Paxiled commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
KTowne 9 more days :):) Comment
Track your weight over time