Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Reducing carb intake?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Reducing carb intake?

I notice that I eat lots of carbs. I can't help it. They're everywhere. I know that to lose weight, you're supposed to cut back on your intake of them. So how do I go about doing that? I feel like I'm eating so healthy, but my intake today so far has been 68% carbs. Is that healthy?
What kind of carbs are you eating?  If you're eating the kind of carbs that come from sugar, white bread, pasta, rice, etc.  These are simple carbs that break down very quickly and flood your with glucose, which in turn causes insulin levels to spike.. If this is what you're eating, no - 68% of your diet being carbs is not healthy.

If you're eating the type of carbs that come from fresh/frozen vegetables, you're okay.  These are the complex carbs that take longer to break down, and don't spike your blood sugar, which in turn, keeps insulin levels lower.

Insulin is called the fat storage hormone, because it shuttles and unused, simple carbs into fat cells to stored for later use.  If you continue to eat this type of carbs and don't use them up, fat cells just keep in getting larger and larger.  

KTowne commented on veronica0808's status
KTowne, and Gardezi commented on KTowne's status
KTowne, and Shannon79 commented on KTowne's status
Track your weight over time