Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Stress triggers and how to cope

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Stress triggers and how to cope

Had a stressful day and there is one person in particular at work I have to deal with on a daily basis that I cannot avoid no matter what. Today she had me and another co-worker so angry we ran down to get chocolate. We're both trying to lose weight. But I thought why is it I go directly to the food the minute I'm upset.

Like that is going to make me feel better. And I keep asking myself, why do you let a crazy person bother you so much? She's not stressed out and I'm sure it's because she has all the power. I have no power at work.

Trying to think of another way to cope and release tension without eating all the time. (I cannot bring a punching bag to work either.)

Any suggestions????
One suggestion is to form a new habit! You may not be able to kill the urge to eat when stressed cold turkey- but add a new and less damaging habit that eases the stress and tension much more effectively.
Eg.- find at least 15-20 mins spare time when you get home in the evening and exercise your stress away! It REALLY does de-stress you, and releases feel good hormones or whatevers from your brain that makes you feel happier about things. Then too there's the feeling of empowerment when you take steps to better yourself that makes you feel in control. Also if you do this regularly you're gonna look even better, and that will raise your self esteem- a whole lot of happy feelings from all sides...eventually you may not even feel the urge to splurge when you form this new and much better habit! Besides- its not like it has to be an hour at the gym or anything. At home on a treadmill or orbitrex or jumping rope or dancing- anything!
It sure helps a lot! Hope you try it.