Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Support...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Support...

I'm nearly 18, 5'7 and weigh just around 150-160 pounds. I want to lose weight over the summer before I go to uni. I'm finding this very hard though as my friends (who are all skinnier than me and dieting) tell me that I don't need to lose weight and act almost as though they don't want me to lose any weight. I'm finding this really off putting as I would just like them to support me, but they simply don't. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Hi Avily,

I just finished reading your post. So you're going to university in the fall.
I went to university quite a few years ago now. You say you're 5' 7"
and that you're 150- 160 lbs. You're quite tall. Perhaps your friends are
right when they say you don't need to lose weight. Personally, I wouldn't
put that kind of stress on myself. What will you be studying at university?
I studied english literature and history myself. What I wanted to tell you
is when I was going to university, I found I was doing a lot more walking
going from lecture to lecture. The university I attended was huge.
My point is you will probably be doing a lot more walking around the
university campus. You'll probably lose weight anyway when you start
going to uni. I was lucky because I chose to live at home while I was going
to university. It was also cheaper to live at home as opposed to living in
residence. All that aside, I wish you the best and enjoy university.
As for losing weight, I predict you'll lose some weight once you start
going to university. Be well.  Eve :)
Thanks for the advice Eve, I understand your idea that I might lose weight at university, my only problem is that where I'm going is a very small campus, and I do a lot of walking as it is as I don't drive and neither does anyone in my family, so I walk everywhere I go, so I might be walking less, which wouldn't be ideal. Fortunately I will be in the middle of the countryside, so I might feel like going on more spur of the moment walks.
  I'm planning on studying creative writing at uni, so perhaps I will be going walking (or maybe even running) while I think and find inspiration.
  Thanks for the advice, it's actually really great to get someone else's view on this situation.
At least at 18, you have your metabolism on your side.  Have you ever heard of the Freshman 15?  They say if you aren't careful, you will pack on extra pounds when you go away to college.  Pass up the sodas for carbonated water.  And try to pass up bread and desserts.  It's also easy to gain if you're into a lot of fruit.  The only sure way to lose weight...or at least not gain is to eat only vegetables and do some exercise.  Sad, huh?
You don't have to eat only vegetables to lose weight.  You need calculate your Base Metabolic Rate, which is based on your age, height, current weight, as well as activity level.  Once you know what your BMR is, you can drop your calories enough to lose weight and still be healthy.

Opt for lean cuts of meat, chicken, fish, low fat dairy, etc for protein, of course, vegetables are necessary because they add lots of fiber for very few calories. You need some good fats, such as those found in nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, etc.  Fruit has a lot of sugar, so it's best to limit that to 1-2 small servings/day.

Drink water instead of sodas, sweet tea, etc.  Have some carrot or celery sticks or a piece of chees instead of a candy bar, etc.
Forgot to mention that you could try other forms of exercise, such as yoga, dance, etc.  If you do the same exercise all the time (walking) your body gets used to it and it's no longer a challenge.  Try walking at different speeds, etc.

Enjoy your time at University........
Hi Avity,

You're very welcome. How lovely to be in the middle of the countryside.
You will probably want to go for more "spur of the moment" walks as you
call them. You mention you will studying creative writing at uni.
That sounds very interesting. Does this include studying the poetry of
various authors ? Walks in nature often inspire me too. I wish you the
very best, Avity. I was reading the two posts that Barb135 sent to you.
She makes some excellent suggestions. Take good care, Eve :)