Taking a Beta Blocker and Trying to Lose Weight
I been on Atenolol for high blood pressure for 5 years now. Since I've been on this drug I have gained about 20 lbs and I am still very active with excercises. I have als reduced my calorie intake but the weight does not want to come off. Is it possible that this medication will make it difficult to lose weight.
I take atenolol, also and have not seen a difference in my weight, while on it.  Have you had your thyroid levels tested?  Under active thyroid can cause weight gain/inability to lose.  Ask your doctor for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.
Yes, it is entirely possible that the Atenolol is responsible for your weight gain.  I gained 50 pounds over the 10 years I was on it.  Even diet and exercise didn't make a difference.  My former PCP swore up and down that the med was not responsible for the weight gain.  Long story short, I had an ablation several months ago for my heart arrythmia, no longer need to take Atenolol, and have lost a decent amount of weight since then.  Perhaps there is a different med your doctor can put you on that won't cause the weight gain - you definitely should check with him.