Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Taking a Beta Blocker and Trying to Lose Weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

I been on Atenolol for high blood pressure for 5 years now. Since I've been on this drug I have gained about 20 lbs and I am still very active with excercises. I have als reduced my calorie intake but the weight does not want to come off. Is it possible that this medication will make it difficult to lose weight.
I take atenolol, also and have not seen a difference in my weight, while on it.  Have you had your thyroid levels tested?  Under active thyroid can cause weight gain/inability to lose.  Ask your doctor for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.
Yes, it is entirely possible that the Atenolol is responsible for your weight gain.  I gained 50 pounds over the 10 years I was on it.  Even diet and exercise didn't make a difference.  My former PCP swore up and down that the med was not responsible for the weight gain.  Long story short, I had an ablation several months ago for my heart arrythmia, no longer need to take Atenolol, and have lost a decent amount of weight since then.  Perhaps there is a different med your doctor can put you on that won't cause the weight gain - you definitely should check with him.
KTowne commented on melimeli's status
KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
Sheaby I found a new doctor!!! De... Comment
Track your weight over time