Weight Loss & Dieting Community
This is for you barb!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

This is for you barb!!!!

I was on the Atkins diet for awhile to help me lose weight well I lost weight but got High blood pressure so I started to eat a balanced diet and smaller portions and it has helped.

I am walking about 20-30 mins a day rain or shine and I live in Oregon so it rains alot.

Well I have not gained back any of my weight at all and i feel so much better.

You were right Barb that diet is very hard on the body.

I do still limit my carbs cause I have pcos and if I eat to many carbs I see a spike in my weight.

Just wanted to tell you all how I'm doing.

I still want to lose like another 30 pounds for now. But after losing the weight I did lose I have a ton of energy. My walks are so relaxing now too.

Anyone out there wondering if they can lose weight you can, i can testify to that. I weighed 377 when i started back on 09/08 and now I'm at 315.
Thank you so much for posting that.  I know there are a lot of excellent "diets" out there; often people start on them and DO lose weight.  The problem is that the diets are not "realistic", therefore, most people can't stick with them over the long haul, so they gain back the weight they lost, often adding even more than they started with.  

I've never had PCOS, but I've read a lot about it and it sounds like most people have a very difficult time losing weight when they have it.  Since you have that, have you also been tested for insulin resistance and thyroid issues?  They sometimes go hand in hand.  Are on on any med for the PCOS?  I've read that people are often given a script for metformin and it helps with both the PCOS and weight issues.

Lori, I am so happy that you are doing well.  Your body needs all the various food groups, each of which supplies a set of necessary nutrients; if we try to cut out an entire food group, such as carbs, we find that out bodies can run very well.  Carbs are one of the main things that give us energy and without them, we just won't go very long.  By eliminating the "simple carbs" such as refined sugars, white flour, etc and adding in "complex carbs" such as whole grains, lots of veggies, fruits, beans, et, you can still get the benefit of the carbs, without the extra calories and spike in blood sugar.  

I'm also happy to hear that you are exercising regularly.  I know there are a lot of people who think they can lose weight without exercise and yes, sometimes it can be done, but exercise is also one of the things that helps give us energy..   I hope you don't find yourself walking in the rain.  Do you have alternative work outs for days when you can't walk?  You might check out your local library and see what they have to offer for work out videos.  Or even check online, as there are quite a few that you can get for free.

I do hope that you will keep up the good work and keep checking in with us to let us know how you are doing.  Or better yet, stay with us and help motivate others with your success.  

Best of luck to you........
Barb
I have insulin resistance which seems to be the only issue I have with PCOS, i have been on metformin since 09/08 and it does help alot, my insulin levels are normal with the meds but as soon as I try to go off metformin my weight will go right back up.
Hi lori so glad you are doing well, I was on metformin for 2 years, i came off it in november and my weight only went up a couple of pounds, so you should be ok if you come off the meds , good luck
Well my insulin goes up when i go off the metformin, since we are trying to get pregnant that is not good. So I have to stay on it till after I get pregnant.
Do you  mean that when you stop the metformin, your "blood sugar", rather than insulin, levels go up?  You'll have to make sure your blood sugar levels stay steady because of course we want you to be able to get "preggers" and give us a wonderful "grandchild".  

Metformin is a med for Type II diabetes and/or insulin resistance -- weight loss is only a "side effect" but that's desirable for many.......don't stop it unless you are sure you can do so safely........
If I stop metformin my weight goes up and my insulin number goes up. I have insulin resistance only not Type II Diabetes.
Well, metformin is a blood sugar med (weight loss is a side effect), so if you stop taking it and your blood sugars go up --- don't stop unless advised by your doctor...........Keep working at it and you might be able to head off full fledged type II diabetes.........

You are doing great and I hope you will keep up the good work........don't forget to stay with us and let us know what's going on with you........

((hugs))
B