Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Thyroid

3 months ago i started taking clenbuterol and levotiron tablets to help me loose weight. I have gained instead and im tired all the time. i know it is from the levotiron. My question is...how can i get my thyroid levels back to my normal healthy ways? I have stopped taking both, but i read that once you start you must comtinue for rest of your life. :( Please help
Okay, let's go for the calm.....   I'm not familiar with clenbuterol and levotiron, so please help me out.  I *DO* have a thyroid problem though, so am not totally oblivious to those issues, especially the weight aspect.  Levotiron SOUNDS like a synthetic thyroid hormone, is that right?  But it also sounds like you might not be in the US?

Do/did you have a thyroid issue or did you take the med because you wanted to lose weight?  Most thyroid meds are script only (at least in the US) and I'm not sure why a doctor would give you a script if you didn't have a thyroid problem.  Taking thyroid med when you don't need it can mess up your own "used to be" working thyroid by telling it that there is plenty of hormone and it no longer has to produce any.  I don't think it will start producing on its own again, but I would suggest that you check out the thyroid forum here on medhelp.  There are some very knowledgeable people who can give you a lot of information.  

The thing is -- no matter what happens, you will need to get your thyroid tested and you may need to take the thyroid med indefinitely in order to keep your levels balanced.

Have you had any thyroid testing done?  I'd recommend that you ask to get tested for Free T3, Free T4 and TSH at least -- depending on the results of those tests you may have to go further.  

Please do check out the thyroid forum - I'm also a member there and I know everyone will be willing to give you all the info they can.  

Good luck and we'll be here to help with your weight loss efforts........