Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Unhealthy weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Unhealthy weight loss

Ok, I wasn't sure where to put this question, so I thought I'd list it here.

A friend of mine has dropped 14 pounds in 48 hours. She's experienced dizzyness and nausea.
Furthermore; in her personal life, she's been experiencing a lot of family-related stress.

Her diet has become somewhat slowed; taking in small amounts of food, with only water.

It's my belief that this weight loss is unnatural and dangerous, however, after discussing it with a fellow college student, he tried to convince me (of which I am sure he is wrong) that people shift up to 10 pounds of weight in a 24 hour span.

My question therefore is in 2 parts.

First of all; how dangerous is the shift in weight, being 14 pounds (13% of her total body weight) within a 48 hour span?

And also; how much shift in weight is actually normal, within a 24 hour span?
First of all any weight change in the first 7 days is usually fluid loss... It is not body weight in terms of structure or muscle so don't worry about your friends sudden loss.-  however if this weight loss was sustained it would be a dangerous rate.

A healthy rate is to lose 1-2lb a week.

A few years ago I did a water fast -  where I only drank water for 10 days, no food at all -  my weight loss the first 2 days was 4lb and 5lb then it dropped to losing 1-2lb a day.

A 14lb weight loss in 2 days suggests your friend was retaining a lot of fluid and by not eating much but drinking a lot of water  she has flushed a lot of it out.

However she needs to be sensible and have an eating plan and a sensible weekly weight loss goal. It is good she has you to support and look out for her but becareful not to demotivate her totally.

I should also have mentioned that she isn't on any sort of diet; she isn't trying to lose weight.
Will respectfully have to disagree.  Any 14 lb weight loss in 48 hours seems rather unhealthy and needs to be looked into or at least followed closely.  In my experience, weight can fluctuate up to 4-5 pounds from morning to night and a few pounds for water.  One would not expect that to happen to a then extent of 14 lbs.  

Just my humble opinion, but I'd sure watch closely.