Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Weight Loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Weight Loss

I am desperately looking to find a way to lose a bunch of weight by Prom in May! It's my boyfriends Senior Prom and I would love to look stunning for him! Currently I am 17 years old (female) and about 205 pounds. I would like to be about 150 by May, or go from size 16 to single digits. I'm only a Junior. but since 5th grade I've struggled with trying to lose weight. I don't know what else to do, I want a quick way to lose weight. I struggle to find time at all to exercise. I really hope that I can find a way to do this weight, I've tried eating healthier and drinking only water. I like water so that really helps! I just would love some advice and support! At this point, I'm about ready to have my boyfriend run to the store and get me pills, but that is my last resort. Oh, and when it comes to school, I feel like I have problems trying to pick the right food because I am at school with really no other options but eating chicken daily. I'm thinking maybe being a vegitarian though but eat chicken only? Help!
I understand what you are going through. I am the same way. I have been struggling with my weight since I was very young. The biggest advice I have for you is to make your goals a little smaller. There is absolutely no healthy way to lose 55 pounds in five months. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. To lose weight and be happy about your progress you need to make realistic goals. Know your portions and try to get protein at every meal. The more fiber the better as it will fill you up and you won't feel as hungry. Snacks are good as long as they are low calorie, they will keep your metabolism at a steady level all day long. If you don't eat, your body will think you are starving it and will store fat rather than lose it. My advise on pills.... they don't work. There aren't FDA approved weight loss pills because they don't exist and they don't really help you keep the weight off. Pills that clean your colon allow you to lose weight but it's not the fat that you are losing. Other pills allow you to lose about five pounds in water weight wich you will gain back after going off the pills. In my experience, after trying every diet known to man, losing weight, gaining it all back plus some, I have a new outlook on weight loss which might help you as well. I want myself to be healthy. So if you try to make yourself healthy, eat the right foods and exercise- even if it's just walking for twenty minutes a day, you will become healthier, and the weight will come off as a result.
Everyone wants to lose weight quickly but unless you make time for your body (exercise and a good diet) it won't happen. There is no miracle cure to being overweight, no magic pill or shot or other.
I hope this helps you some. It's probably not what you want to hear since we would all really like to magically see the pounds disappear in a moments time, but remember it took a while to gain all of that weight and it is likely to take just as long if not longer to lose it.
Good luck in your weight loss goals!
Thank you so much! I'm glad someone would even take this time on me to give advice. I am going to try and get on the treadmill or something at least 2 or 3 times a week. I think that could really help to start. I'm hoping by May, I'll at least look a lot smaller. I hate struggling like this, and I hate myself for letting me become this way to begin with. But it happened and I can't take that back, so now I have to get through this. It's hard when like my mom and sister are so much smaller than me, and I feel like I'm always getting compared to them...
ok......first of all - there is no safe quick way to lose weight. I get that you want to look incredible for the prom. but, losing the weight has to be something you want to do for yourself. you need to want to feel better and look better before you can do it for someone else.
that being said, i have some great advice that will get you on your way. i have been in the fitness industry for a while and was an all american athlete prior to medical issues occuring within the last year.

- water is great. drink tons of it. i usually get the big bottle of water (1 liter) from the grocery store or convienience store. drink that and then refill it. 2 liters a day.

- healthy food choices is always tough when you arent at home.  so, pack your lunch. bring healthy choices from home.  pack a lunch before you go to bed at night and stick it in the fridge. that way you can just grab it on your way out the door in the morning.

- food is fuel for your mind and body.  you have to eat for your body to have energy to lose the weight.  breakfast is a must. eating your carbs in the morning with a protein with give you a nice start to the day.

- you have to exercise! get in some fitness before school.  if you cant get to the gym, there are some great circuit workouts on cable for free. even just setting up some at home exercises (jumping rope at intervals, push ups, sit ups, etc) your can get a great 30 minute workout in the morning that will kick start your metabolism.

- eat three meals and two snacks everyday! try and balance your food choices. i typically avoid high sugar foods. carbohydrates are eaten in the morning and afternoon.  dinner is typically, chicken or fish and a salad or veggies.  

-the pills will damage your interal organs and not give you the results you are looking for.

-pickup a fitness  magazine (shape or self) they have good exercise programs in them that are easy to follow and can be done right at home.

-dont eat after 7pm. lots of water....if you have to eat - make it a handful of veggies, or a handful of almonds. if you find yourself wanting to snack because you are bored, that would be a great time to hit the floor for some crunches, dips, push - ups (get my point......)

hope some of this was helpful. good luck with everything,

NO PILLS!!! It could really hurt you.  :)
Thanks so much for the advice! So, what kind of food should I eat in the morning? Milk usually hurts my throat and makes it feel swollen, but maybe cereal will be okay, I don't know. In the mornings, I need something that will atke less than 5 minutes to make... usually I'll eat a Calzone or left overs from the night before. I heard Special K should be good? Also, what kind of chicken? As in, cooked how? It's such a hard thing to lose weight and find the motivation to get up. I want to feel better about myself and look better. And I want my boyfriend to look at me and be blown away.
Getting up early is not going to happen because I wake up already at 5:30am-6am, but I can definately start doing crunches and stuff like that, but how many do you suggest a day?
I personally don't recommend Special K because it has a lot of high fructose corn syrup... I recommend and I really like this myself, is Honey bunches of Oats. It's really good and good for you! Eggs are always a great way to start out the day because they are one of the best sources of protein!
As for the chicken, don't fry it! Cook it in a pan without oil or bake it.
You should start small with your exercises. Do ten crunches to start and then work your way up five or so at a time when you feel comfortable enough to do so.Any time you can fit in a little exercise do so!
I'm rooting for you!!!!!
Oh okay. A part of the problem is I have braces too, so I have to be really careful what I eat, and so I'm picky on that. I do like salads also, so maybe I can get into eating those and passing the burgers. So would like chicken nuggets, tenders, etc be a no?
Instead of eating the breaded chicken nuggets and tenders maybe try the chicken tenders that are not breaded.
Salads are really good but make sure to watch the dressing. Creamy dressings will have a lot more fat and calories. Light dressings are a better choice or you could try basalmic vinegar or vinegrette.
Today starts my diet!!!!! I'm starting the morning off with a salad with a little cheese and the crushed croutons. I think my main problem is portion control. So I'm making sure to read those labels! Also a small glass of apple juice. I don't want to like totally pull myself away from all things I like.
I've decided too that I want to be a vegetarian. So later I'm going to do some research on ways to get those nutrients I'd otherwise be missing. I hope this works!!
i would try hard boiling eggs in advance.  grab 2-3 of those and a cheese stick. preferably the part skim ones.
as for chicken, grilled of baked. breaded has extra fat and calories that you'll want to save for later.
if you need to eat cereal, make sure it has a high amount of fiber. soy milk is good. (you should try it considering you comment on throat swelling)
fruits are good. apples, bananas, berries. WATER!!
anything prepackaged is going to have alot of pre-packaged addatives and sodium. try and steer clear of that stuff.
if you want to go VEGAN, you'll need to supplement with soy and tofu. you should keep some protein in your diet so decide if its going to be chicken or eggs.  if you take too much away, too quickly, you'll crash.
make sure you listen to your body.  if its hungry, feed it. but use portion control and select high fiber stuff.  veggies, fruit, whole grain/whole wheat products. stay away from all whites (bread, rice)

as far as exercise, if you are trying to get a quick workout in - try beginning your set by going to failure....meaning do as many as you can.  wait a minute then try to beat that number. if you cant get as close to it as you can.  do that for 10 minutes.
rest a few, then move onto squats, or pushups.  do the same thing.  the idea is to keep your heart rate up so your metabolism gets moving.  the more you rest between sets, the slower things are going to move. monitor a healthy heart rate (you can google that for your body weight)

good luck. keep me posted on your progress.

jil
Today went okay. Like I said, a salad for breakfast. I was getting hungry at school before lunch, so my snack was Cheeze Its that were the 100 Calorie Packs. And I didnt even eat half of it. Lunch I had pasta and water. I did kinda lose it when I go home and opted for a cheeseburger and doritos. it'll take the place for my dinner. so much for that vegetarian thing. i did good to start off the day, but i dont think ill be able to give up burgers and chicken. ill just eat them less often.
if you do have to eat burgers - get a lean meat. low fat cheese, no bun. replace bun with lettuce leaves (romaine) and tomato

your eating bad after school because your body isnt used to the drastic cut in calories and fat. you need to balance your meals better or you will not see progress....its a HUGE commitment. salad for breakfast??? ok......it needs protein. chicken, egg whites...something. hopefully fat free dressing or low fat.  dont pour it on the salad. put it in a small dish and dip your fork in it before you pick up some salad.  
the cheezits are ok but again, look at the carbohydrates. cutting your sugar intake is very difficult in the first week. VERY difficult.
if your drinking alot of water, your appetite will decrease significantly.  buy the large bottle of water and one of the crystal light water bottle drink packets.  its says to put in in a small bottle of water - but put it in your large bottle instead. it wont be nearly as sweet but will add a little something to your water to make it more enjoyable.
exercise is super important. you wont see results quickly unless your burning what you take in.
do you have a wii? even alot of cable companies offer fitness selections for free. those are some alternatives that might work well.

its going to be a tough start, but if you want something bad enough, you'll stay on track and keep the goal in mind.  if you are tempted, remember why your doing this. keep a visual. put a picture on the cabinet or fridge door to remind you of your goal.

hang in there!
Another good one for breakfast that fills you up well is a bowl of mixed fresh fruit and yoghurt. Try and aim for the fruit that has high carb values so they burn longer, like apples, pears etc.. The more colours of fruit you get in there, the better it is for you, and pour a pot of low fat yoghurt over the top of it, and there's breakfast.. Or, a bowl of porridge with some apples and blueberries in there should keep you going till lunchtime.

Soup and pitta bread for lunch if you can at school, if not salad and chicken or tuna or wholemeal pasta.. And a piece of fruit too.

Cous-cous with chopped chicken breast and salad for dinner, with a small amount of houmous maybe for some added taste.

Try and replace your bread intake with pitta breads as they are lower in fat and carbs, try and cut out potatoes or limit how many of them you have, you still need carbs, just not TOO many.

Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. If you get hungry, try carrot or cucumber sticks and houmous or cottage cheese to dip into as a snack too.

And drink plenty of water as has already been suggested.

Although it's great you want to look a million dollars for your boyfriend for your prom, in order to be successful in any "diet" you need to be doing it for you, not someone else. I'm sure your guy already thinks of you as gorgeous anyway!

Good luck with it all, and don't forget that it makes you human if you eat chocolate and junk food sometimes too!!
Thanks everyone for all of the support! I'm starting to realize that what I've been doing is just drop or cut out all the bad food to begin. It wasn't working because I'd have cravings. What I'm starting to do now which I think is working, is change like what I eat slower. Like for breakfast I got some cereal that has strawberries in them and is low in calories and sugar. It tastes really good, too! For dinner the other night my dad got me McDonalds. I don't like eating salads from somewhere unless I make it... so instead of getting like 10 piece chicken nuggets and medium fry, I got 6 piece chicken nuggets and a small fry and a small drink (Big Kids Meal). So I'm making slow progresses in what I eat, but I think it's helping me not to have cravings so much.
What is really great too is I have braces. So I'm not supposed to really be eating like chips or hard candy or sticky food. Which definately helps me! I don't eat chips that much anyway, thank goodness. Now just need to work on ice-cream lol.
If you cut out the foods you like - like the burgers, ice cream, etc - you will continue to crave them.  You can make enough changes in your diet to allow for some of those things; just make sure you watch your portion sizes.  

The suggestion of removing the bun from a burger and topping it with lettuce and tomato, is a great one.  I do that quite often when I "have" to have that burger.

You will have better luck, too, if you make small changes, one at a time, rather than trying to change all of your eating habits at one time.

For instance: instead of having a soda, drink a glass of water, flavored with lemon, or instead of having a bowl of ice cream, have some frozen yogurt.  In place of chicken nuggets, get a grilled chicken sandwich and remove the bun.  Try sweet potato fries instead of regular fries.

I keep a bowl in the fridge with hard boiled eggs; I can peel one and eat it quickly for breakfast, with a slice of toast (whole grain); or I can use them to make a tuna salad sandwich for dinner - I'm never home at lunch time.

You can also get individual packets of oatmeal that can be cooked in the microwave - those make an excellent breakfast, with some fruit.  

Milk does have a tendency to thicken the mucous in your throat; you might try opting for skim milk, rather than whole milk.  Make sure you go for the low/no fat diary products.  

Be sure to eat "good" fats, too, as those help you feel more satisfied.  You can get those in avocados,  olive oil, nuts and nut butters, seeds, etc.

Don't forget the exercise.   Good luck
Thanks! I appreciate all the help from everyone and I'm really surprised at how much people are willing to support and help each other!
That's what we are here for.  We have a "challenge" going on right now, if you'd care to join us.  We each pick a goal, and work towards it for a specified period of time.  We are running the current challenge until approximately mid March; then we'll go into something else.  

Even though I, ultimately, want to lose about 30 pounds, I picked a 5 pound goal to start with; if/when I get that 5 pounds off, I'll go for another 5 pounds...... smaller goals are often much easier to achieve, because they aren't so daunting.  It's much easier to say "I need to lose 5 pounds", than it is to say "I need to lose 30 (or whatever) pounds"......

All you have to do sign up is go to the thread that's at the very top of the WL&D page. We "weigh in" weekly and I'll put up a thread on Sunday, in which we can discuss how we did over the week; what worked for us and what didn't, along with issues or stumbling blocks you might run into.
Actually I think I did just signed up for that not too long ago. Sounds like a great progam. I think everyone's new years resolution every year is to lose weight, but most arent successful. I'm gona really go for it this time!
I haven't looked at the entire list of those who signed up for the challenge for a few days, so you might have, and I missed it.  

Yeah, most people do resolve to lose weight every year, and I think studies show that within a few weeks, the resolutions have gone by the wayside because we tend to set our sights on things we can't reasonably expect to achieve.  

For the past several years, the only resolution I've made is to do the best I can.  As long as I keep doing that, I don't have to feel guilty for not accomplishing something that wasn't reasonable in the first place.

I'm going to do the best I can; that will include making more small changes, but allowing most foods, just in limited quantities.  

We'll do it together - how does that sound?
I'll love to take you up on that offer!
I think something that challenges me to make the right choices is that I feel like I'm alone here. My mom lost a lot of weight a few years ago. And her and my sister are now smaller. My dad's trying to lose weight now too. My only thing is I don't like talking about it to them. My mom will ask like to do things with her or just bring up food and other things. I'm just not comfortable with that. I'm more independent from them and want to just do this without them. I wish that they would like make more healthier foods, but they really don't. It's hard.
I guess I just want that support and I try and do this without telling them. That's how I want it to stay. So if they're at home, I'm always in my room. If they aren't here, I'm more willing to like go exercise. I know I'm probably being too picky. I'm just really uncomfortable with myself.
Besides all of you guys on here, my boyfriends the only other one who knows about this. He's very supportive and said he'll do it with me because he wants to lose weight too. But we don't spend a ton of time together and so I'm on my own still, even though I know I could talk to him about stuff.
About the pills, I wish I could take them and they weren't bad. I've heard all that stuff bout tapeworms. My boyfriend would probably have to get it for me since he's 18. But he said he's not going to now because he doesn't want me to get sick. He's just I think a little heartbroken because he knows in the past I've tried and failed every time and he hates to see me like this. It brings me down and makes me depressed.
I don't like hearing that you can't get support from your family, or that they don't cook better foods; that can make losing weight really tough.  BUT, there could be an "up side" to staying your room.  Do you have a TV and DVD player?  Use the time spent in your room to work out.  No TV/DVD?  How about your computer?  You can download all kinds of free exercise workouts, from yoga to strength training.

Please don't feel badly about not being able to take weight loss pills - besides not being good for you, you're almost guaranteed to gain back all the weight you lose, often plus some, as soon as you quit taking them.  It would be a real pity to work so hard losing weight, then gain it all back, wouldn't it?  

Just make small changes; that way, you don't feel like you are depriving yourself.  Weight loss doesn't mean you have to be miserable.  
Actually I do have a TV/DVD player i my room. I also have weights. I really want to do this and I guess it's easier said than done. It's like, I want to do this...now when I have the chance to exercise, I have to do it, not just put it off.
I want to feel better about myself but I think my goal for doing this now is just look 100% better for prom because it is my boyfriend's senior year. Also, we have been going out for over a year and we are best friends. All my friends say how perfect we are for each other, his family likes me, my family likes him, and my friends always say how they wish they had a boyfriend like mine because he makes me happy and treats me so well. He's been talking about getting engaged and getting married too within the next year or two, so I'm hoping this weight loss will work so I'll look good for prom and possibly a wedding!
Here is another tip you might like. To help me drink tons of water I will put some fresh mint leaves and sliced cucumber in the bottle of water before I go to bed. Then the next day it tastes like you have been at the spa all afternoon.  Also try mint with slices of orange. At night when I have a sweet tooth I make some herbal tea. Yogi makes a black liquorish flavor ( it tastes like candy) and a vanilla hazelnut. Both these take my sweet tooth away. Good luck!
thats a really good idea, ill have to try that, thanks!
Hi there - welcome to our little community.

Yes, your idea of drinking tea is a good one.  I will have to try your fresh mint and cucumber slices; I've tried the crystal light drink mixes and haven't found one that strikes me yet.

That black licorice flavor sounds yummy since I love licorice; I'll have to look for that.  Have you ever tried black cherry?  Actually, it's Black Cherry Berry, made by Celestial Seasonings; I'm a black cherry fiend, so it's right up my alley.  I also love peppermint tea, which helps immensely with acid reflux/upset stomach. I sweeten those with Stevia.  Another favorite is Oregon Chai.  
I must say, I just got Just Dance 2 today. I have been playing it like crazy! I loveeee it! And it is a wonderful workout! Something to definately keep me entertained and in shape!
I think realization is starting to hit me. Before, to me it was like I can't work out every other day because when I straighted my hair one night, then in 2 days I'd have to wash and re-straighten it. I love my hair straightend and it's easy to take care of. I'm starting to just think that there are some days I'll have to leave my hair down, even though I don't like it because it is so curly. But then that way, I'd be showering and washing my hair so I can sweat all I want. With my hair straightend, I avoided doing things that would make me sweat just so my hair can stay good. For the next few weeks/months though, if I want this weight loss, I have to work harder. Which means sweat everyday!
Wow - that's different - you have curly hair and spend a lot of time straightening it; I have straight hair and would give my eye teeth for curly/wavy hair, as mine feels limp and droopy a lot of the time.  

WIth all the newfangled hair gadgets - clips, barretts, claws, head bands, etc - maybe you could devise a way to put your hair up, so it wouldn't get so sweaty (I sweat most around the neck), then put a shower cap or something, so it won't get wet when you shower.  Even with exercise, you wouldn't necessarily have to wash your hair every day.  

Yes, for the next few months you will have to work harder, and hopefully, once you lose the weight, you will be motivated to stick with it, in order to prevent gaining it back.  Who knows, by then, you might decide that you really like your curly hair!!

I'm pretty old, so not familiar with Dance 2; can you tell me about it?

Be sure to change up your exercise on a regular basis, too, as your body gets used to one thing and it's no longer a challenge.  Try your Dance 2 one day, yoga the next or something. Actually, yoga is awesome exercise and though the postures are usually done slowly and deliberately, it's great for weight loss.

So let's get crackin'  ---- WE have weight to lose...........................
Yes, I've heard a lot of people say that about their hair. My hair, I really don't like. I wish a lot it'd be perfectly straight so that when I wake up I can do whatever and it's straight. No need to plan ahead what days to straighten it.
Just Dance (1 or 2) basically is a Wii game. And you can do challenges and they even have a weight thing on their where you can choose to do like one two or three songs. But you pick a song from a list of them. And then from there it's like a mirror...they will do one move on the tv screen and you follow it. The point is try to get a higher score than you did before or whatever. Basically just following dance steps. It's a ton of fun though!
I actually have a cardio and yoga workout dvd's. I'm really anxious for this weight to go and never come back! Good luck!
See we have the same issues - because when I had my hair permed (curly), I could do all kinds of things with it; now that I've let it go straight, it's like "blah........" How 'bout you give me your curly hair, I'll give you my straight hair.  Or maybe we should both figure out a way to deal with our own hair type??  That's a concept, huh?

I'm going to have to look for the Dance dvd's - I have a Wii, as well as Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus....... I can see that I'm going to have to really boogy to keep up with you.........

Give me a chance to find the Dance videos, then you better watch out......  I might be old, but no slouch........... LOL

Are you watching your calorie intake, as well as doing the Dance dvd(s)?  I am, so you better get on the ball.......

Let's get going so we both lose the weight and it doesn't come back.
Haha, so many people have told me they wish they had curly hair. It's a pain though waking up and trying to think of what to do with it. I've learned to deal with it. But when I move out, I plan on getting it permanently straight! lol
Yes, I'm very good at Just Dance, so nooo way you can pas me:) I might not get the highest score, but I've been told that I get way too into it. It's funner that way!
Not so much counting calories. Just watching portion sizes.
Okay, sorry, but "life" took over my time for a couple of days; now I'm back with a vengeance!!  I haven't had a chance to look for the Just Dance dvd, but you keep right on "getting way into it" -- exercise that you love is the best kind........ you're a lot younger than me, so you're probably right; I can't pass you - but I can sure give you a run for your money......... LOL

Not everyone needs to count calories...... I tend to believe that we should be able to eat most things, so long as we eat them in moderation (watching portion sizes).

Keep up the good work.........
Lol, it's okay. I haven't been on here in a few days either. But yes, that game is a lot of fun and I would suggest it to anyone and everyone. Other than that, not much is going on. Just getting anxious for prom, now that's what's up!
Yeah, calorie counting takes too much effort for me lol. Mainly because like at school idk how many calories are in that food. But I just watch more what I eat. :)
Good luck!