Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Weight gain after pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Weight gain after pregnancy

I am now 47.  I had 3 pregnancies all after 39.  After the first 2 I was wearing a bikini after 2 weeks.  The 3rd baby I weight about 155.  Heavy but was not worried.  Now my youngest is 4 and I am up to 185 and only 5'3.  The weight just keeps coming on and it all in my stomach.  I have no waist.  I ever gained weight in my stomach before, it was always in my legs and butt.  I have been tested for cushings, my thyroid tested many times.  I don't know what to do and it is so uncomfortable and I am getting so BIG.  Could the 3 csections caused this?  I was never big in my life.
Thyroid conditions can exist, even when TSH levels come back in the normal range.  You should talk to your doctor about testing the Free T3 and Free T4, as well as TSH; then simply being in range is not always good enough. Many of us have to be higher in the ranges.

As the doctor mentioned above, stress and lack of sleep can release cortisol, which leads to belly fat.  Additionally, insulin resistance can also lead to weight gain and belly fat.  You should get tested for type II diabetes, along with the thyroid tests..  Also make sure you get tested for thyroid antibodies to determine whether or not you have an autoimmune thyroid condition.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello!
Weight gain is a common problem after delivery more so after a C section. During pregnancy the sagging muscles have stretched to accommodate the growing baby so returning to your normal tummy will take time. After a certain age your metabolism also slows down. You may need more efforts to lose belly fat .I will recommend you  a strict exercise routine consisting of aerobic exercises, indoor cycling, brisk walking etc.Exercises to tone up your stomach will help. Dietary modifications play a significant role. Cut down on pastas,fats,desserts,ice creams and opt for wholegrain breads,fruits,veggies etc.Drink plenty of water and take  a good night sleep. Lack of sleep releases cortisols which can lead to deposition of fat deposits around the belly. All these will definitely help.
Best wishes!
Avatar n tn
thats what I am told, but why would my stomach keep getting bigger so QUICK?   I am frustrated because something is not right.  Seems like doctors are stuck on the getting older, post pregnancy thing, not willing to take the time to actually consider something else might be going on.

Avatar n tn
Thank you Barb, I will ask my doc to retest.  I have been tested by an endo and I am pretty sure they tested all that, but geeez it seems strange I am gaining and keep gaining all the sudden and my stomach is HUGE!
Many doctors believe that simply having levels "in range" is good enough; it's not; I know from experience.  Also, a lot of doctors test only TSH; don't settle for that, because TSH is a pituitary hormone that doesn't always, accurately, correlate with thyroid levels. Insist on the Free T3 and Free T4, which are the actual thyroid hormones.

KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
28 mins ago
Sheaby I found a new doctor!!! De... Comment
1 hr ago
50-Year Cover-Up
10 hrs ago by gymdandee
Track your weight over time