Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Weight gain in the past 4 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Weight gain in the past 4 years

I had 3 pregnancies 15 months apart after the age of 40.  I was ok after my first 2 pregnancies, my 3rd one I started gaining AFTER I delivered.   It was slow but kept coming on,,, now 30 or so pounds later I cant get it off.  I keep gaining.   I had numerous thyroid tests, tested for cushings, tested for diabetes etc,...  I went on 800 cal a day diets, shots, pills.  What is going on?  I am so frustrated.
Thyroid symptoms can be present long before blood tests show a problem, but then many doctors only test TSH, not the actual thyroid hormones, plus most labs use outdated reference ranges for TSH, so your doctor could look at it and see that it's "in range", but could be very high in the range.  Additionally, on the off chance that your actual thyroid hormones are being tested, they could be very low in the ranges, which  may not be optimal for you.  You should get retested for, at least, TSH, Free T3 and Free T4, as well as thyroid antibodies, which would indicate an autoimmune thyroid disease.

Additionally, even though tests for diabetes came back negative, you could have insulin resistance, which means that you produce enough insulin, but your body doesn't use it properly.
I went to an endo, they tested everything, if fact they said my thyriod function is on the high side meaning it's not even borderline apparently.  I feel all puffy a lot as well, my fingers and feet.  Had kidney checked all is fine.  When I went in to see my doc I wasn;t puffy ( murphys law)  but I am puffy a lot and take 12.5 water pill everyday.

I just cant take this anymore.  my family and husband treat me terrible, making fat jokes.  They diet and just cut poirtions in half and lose 20 pounds, I go on 800 cal diets, salads etc... and stay fat.  Tired of treated terrible by family and doctors,
You might want to check out the thyroid forum, here on MedHelp, and post your actual thyroid hormone results, with reference ranges.  Members can then help assess your situation better.

800 calories/day is almost never enough and can put your body into "starvation mode", which means it will hang onto fat stores already present, because it knows there's not enough food coming in. Calorie intake must be calculated for your own individual needs, based on weight, height, age and level of activity, not just an arbitrary figure.

You need a balance of lean protein, low/no fat dairy, lots and lots of veggies, whole grains, "good" fats, etc.  Limit fruit to 1-2 servings/day, as fruit has a lot of sugar that turns to fat, if not used quickly. Opt for whole fruit, rather than juices, since whole fruit also has fiber, etc.

Additionally, you need to be adding exercise to your daily routine. A combination of strength/weight training and cardio.  

I'm sorry your family are so rude about this.  If you have a medical condition that prevents you from losing weight, you will need to get it sorted out.  

You might want to think about seeing a nutritionist to make sure you are getting enough of the right types of food.  

Many people find that if they keep a food diary, they realize that they are actually eating a lot more calories than they think, so you could try that. Writing down everything that goes into your mouth, whether it be a sip of soda,  "taste testing" at the stove while you're cooking, cleaning up the kids' plates, etc can be a real eye opener.

So can tracking your exercise, because we often don't burn as many calories as we think we should have.  Med Help has both an excellent food diary and exercise tracker.