Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Welcome to Weight Loss and Dieting 2011

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Welcome to Weight Loss and Dieting 2011

As we enter into a new year, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all my old friends the very best of New Years; and for those just joining, I'd like to welcome you to our community.

I don't know about everyone else, but this past year has been a challenge for me, both with my weight loss and other health issues.  I'm quite sure that I've gained and lost the same 5 lbs, at least weekly all year long.  Sometimes, frustration runs high, other times I look at lab results or my notes on how I felt at a given time and determine to "forgive" myself.  

When someone comes to the forum seeking help, I try to pass along sound, healthy ideas that will help them, while sometimes, having to point out that maybe they need to make a few lifestyle changes, in order to succeed with weight loss goals.  I will always encourage members not to be too hard on themselves; we must love ourselves the way we are, in order to progress.

I'm not really an advocate of "dieting", per se.  I've said it before and I'll say it every chance I get:  our "diet" is merely what we eat; it may be good, bad or indifferent, it's still what we eat - just like cows eat corn, horses eat oats/hay, koala bears eat eucalyptus leaves, etc - that's their "diet".   I believe that we need to develop a healthy attitude toward diet and exercise.  

Cutting out entire food groups (i.e carbs or fats) may help for a time, but what happens when you add those back in?  Most likely, you will gain back any lost weight, often adding even more than you lost.  

The same goes for exercise.  You can throw yourself into exercise for weeks and weeks and maybe will be a bit successful, but what happens if you miss one day or one week of that intense exercise?  

It all has to be done in moderation; food must be consumed in appropriate portions (a small piece of cake, instead of the whole cake). There are an abundance of websites that will help you learn what size a "portion" is.  

Exercise must be done in moderation - don't believe the old saying "no pain, no gain".  If you exercise and feel actual pain, you are probably doing too much.  Yes, it's normal to have some sore muscles when you first start exercising, but, you should recover with a few hours rest.  If you work out to the point that it takes several days to recover, you haven't gained anything because most likely, you aren't going to exercise again until the pain is gone........... best to work up slowly, "feel" the exercise, but stop before it's painful.  You will be much more likely to exercise daily.  

Medical issues are an important part of many weight woes.  All too often, carrying extra weight can cause a multitude of health issues, each of which, in turn, can make losing that much more difficult......... if you have medical issues, get control of them prior to embarking on a weight loss journey, or you might end up disappointed an frustrated.  This is the road I've been down and I'd do almost anything to keep others from following in my footsteps.  

I don't make New Year's resolutions any more, but I'm planning to make every effort to get my weight under control this year, which will hopefully eliminate some related health issues.........

I wish for each and every one, old friends and newcomers, alike, the best of everything for the coming year.

I invite you to join us on the weight loss journey.  We are here to help provide ideas, suggestions, support, or motivation.  

Wishing everyone health and happiness.  

WELCOME TO WEIGHT LOSS AND DIETING................. 2011

Barb