Weight Loss & Dieting Community
What am I doing so wrong?

A community of people interested in weight loss and dieting. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: balanced menus, popular diets, exercise, metabolism, healthy snacks, nutrition, and weight loss surgery.

What am I doing so wrong?

This is bloomin mad! WHY is this so difficult?

Obviously, I'm in a similar boat. 19 years old, 5ft 10, 155lbs, trying to lose 10lbs. I hit the gym 3-4 times a week and I'm eating around 1300 calories a day. I either do 40 mins swimming or 30 mins on the elliptical trainer with 15 mins doing sit ups, mat work, etc. Last summer I tried a personal trainer but all that came from that was some SERIOUS muscle build. Not cool.

5 weeks later, and I'm still 155lbs. WHAT.

Seriously, I'm no scientist. How can eating more and exercising less possibly be a route to weight loss?

I'm completely lost and confused now, I don't know what I supposed to be eating and what I'm supposed to cut out or how much and what type of exercise I need to be doing.

Am I doomed to a life where my fairly toned bod is covered in a layer of fat? Because I am fairly toned underneath it all. Heeeeeelp?
Well sir. Maybe you're working out for a lot time than needed but at irregular times. Try to go out for a walk/jog for an hour everyday. Avoid eating rice and banana and have lots of fruits, milk and water :)
At then end of the day its about calories in vs calories burnt. Have a look at what your 1300 calories consist of. Make sure you're eating lots of lean protiens and good healthy veggies to nourish your body. Also check the times your eating. For optimal weight loss and to help your metabolism, aim for a meal or snack every 2-3 hours. It's hard and annoying at first but it gets easier. Pluse aim for smaller portion sizes / calorie amounts but at regular intervals.
As for the weight loss it can be sooo frustrating! I know exactly what your going through.
Have you tried measuring yourself? It's a better and more accurate assessment of how your body is changing. I've only lost 2nd but my cms have decreased dramatically!!! Muscle weighs more than fat so you cold have burnt fat in the last 5 weeks but built some lean muscle. :) hope this helps
At 5'10" and 155 lbs, you are nowhere near overweight, no matter what size frame you have.

Are you sure you're eating enough calories to get by?  Your body needs a certain amount of calories, just to live (heart beat, metabolism, lung and kidney function, digestion, etc) and if you don't provide enough calories, your body will go into "starvation mode" to hold onto fat stores in order to keep going...

Sorry to say that muscle does "not" weigh more than fat.  A pound is a pound, no matter it consists of.....it's just that some things are "bulkier" than others.... think rocks vs feathers....  rocks are dense (the molecules are  packed tight) - this is equivalent to muscle and a relatively small rock could easily weigh a pound.  Then think of a feather pillow where the feathers are all lose and take up a lot of space (bulky); it could take 2-3 pillows to weigh a pound, but look at the space they consume...  this is equivalent to fat.... big and loosely packed, so it takes up a lot of space.

You should be eating fresh veggies, lean meats, low/no fat dairy, "good" fats (such as those found in nuts, seeds, avocados).

For exercise, you need to mix it up -- get a balance of cardio and strength training.  Add in a bit of yoga for good measure......
r u male because if so, then u must be looking to be like a girl and if so ; say so

as to muscle and fat weighing the same; the point is a quart of muscle weighs much more than a quart of fat

now if u r a girl, what weight do u want

good luck in your journey
KTowne commented on Belle313's status
KTowne 26 weeks, feeling blessed a... Comment
KTowne commented on KeeLolo's status
Sep 27
Track your weight over time