Weight Loss & Dieting Community
What do you think?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

What do you think?

I am 45 years old and started the menopause whaen I was 35.  I eat a healthy diet and feel that I am an active person, engaging in walking, cycling house work and a physicaly demanding job.  Why am I finding it so hard to lose weight?  Any help would be gratfuly received.
As we age...............our metabolism slows down...............so you could be taking in more calories than you are actually using! Try keeping a daily food diary.........write down everything you eat......................you could be eating more than you think! It is easy to do.................a bite here and there adds up! Have you had your thyroid checked? Some people say hypothryoidism will keep you from loosing weight....That's just a thought..........

Hi!

Have you been losing weight and do you think you have hit a plateau? Or are you finding it hard to lose any weight at all?

If you are finding hard to lose weight may be you should focus on your food and exercise.Also checking with your physician can give you some insight in to what's happening.

keeping a food journal certainly helps.Writing down everything and counting calories may help you understand how much calories you are consuming.Also  changing your exercise routines a little may bring some changes.

If you have hit a plateu then i recommend you read this -
http://www.ranaesheart.com/2008/06/how-to-survive-plateau.html

Set small goals and try to celebrate mini victories.Please let us know what you think and we are always happy to help you and support you.

Hi nickyd ~ Know this can be frustrating.  Are you aware of your maintenance calories given your height, weight, age, gender and activity level?  You would then need to create a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories for each pound you wish to lose.  To lose 1 pound per week, you would need to shave off 500 calories a day or you could add additional exercise or a combination of both.  

If you need any help in figuring this, would be happy to be of assistance.  Knowing your numbers, journaling  your intake and changing up your exercise should do the trick.  I'm 53 and past menopause and can lose weight, albeit more difficult than when I was younger.

It also wouldn't hurt to have your thyroid checked if you're concerned and/or the above suggestions do not bring about your desired results.

Hope you stay tuned to the group; it's a great place for friendship, support, encouragement and motivation.  Besides, there is strength in numbers.  

Best wishes ...
Ranae

PS - See you're using the weight tracker ... you may find it useful to input your calories and track them as well.