Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Why am I gaining weight?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Why am I gaining weight?

I am 19 years old, 5' 1, and my starting weight was 105 pounds. I know this is a healthy weight but I would still like to lose a few pounds of excess body fat and just tone up. I started dieting 3 weeks ago. For the 1st two weeks I ate around 900 calories per day and exercised for an hour per day. Over the course of 10 days my weight went down to 101 pounds. 4 days later though, at the 2 week mark, my weight shot up to 103 pounds without me changing my calorie consumption or workout regime. I read online that if you eat too few calories your metabolism slowing down causing weight loss to cease. After learning this I decided to up my calories to 1350 per day. This number is about 400 below what my maintenance calories should be. For the past week I have been eating 1350 calories per day and continuing to work out for an hour per day (cardio and weight lifting). I weighed myself this morning and the scale read 105.5 pounds! So, what is going on!? I should be losing weight but instead I am steadily gaining. I am so confused about what is happening right now and I am beyond frustrated.

By the way, I highly doubt my weight gain is due to increased muscle mass. It takes females a lot longer than a few weeks to gain enough muscle to account for weight gain especially while on a calorie deficit.

I would appreciate any insightful tips. Thank you for reading.