Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Why am I still gaining weight?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Why am I still gaining weight?

Hi! I've been working out since January 9 and I've been on a diet since January 6. By diet, I mean I used to eat only lunch and dinner, no snacks, and no overeating. Recently, I've been only eating a sandwich. No rice for  three days now. Work out for a full hour 4 to 5x a week. Now my prob is this. I only lost 1 kg (yes! Only down a notch) from
My original 60kg. Yesterday i was 58.4kg but just a while ago when i checked, I'm 59kg! What the hell happened? I only ate one freakin sandwich today and i worked out for an hour but i still gained 0.6kg.. Im frustrated. im 25 y.o and i stand 5ft 2inches tall. My target is to hit 52 kg by the end of march. I used to lose weight a looot faster when 5 years ago, now im losing hope.. Any help? Sorry for the long post by the way.
Hi!
The thumb rule while trying to lose weight is not to check weight daily. There will be daily weight fluctuations which can be quite de-motivating. Check weight only once a month or once in 15 days.
Also, crash dieting does not help. If you want to lose weight, then you must do it the scientific way for long term benefits, healthy glow, and a good physique and body. People who are successful in losing weight and maintaining it are the ones who make lifestyle changes which are acceptable to them, their palate and their working style. To do this you must look for healthier cooking options for meals you love, and slowly cut down on the fat in it so as to not irritate your taste buds much.
It's best to join a nutrition expert and a physical trainer and follow their advice. Incorporating yoga into this regimen takes stress out of this exercise to lose weight. Also the diet should contain more of green leafy vegetables, fruits and protein and less of spaghetti, potato etc.  I suggest you eat frequent small meals and stop counting calories. It is best to eat lots of fruits and non-starchy green veggies, go slow on fats, eat carbohydrates in moderation and increase your protein intake (lean cuts, whites of eggs etc). Drink plenty of water and non fattening fluids such as clear soups etc. Look for hidden calories in salads and soups and avoid them (eg: cheese, butter, dressings etc).
Also, you need to exercise regularly. You need to start slow and then build up stamina as the days progress. A combination of aerobic, strength training and stretches works best. Many people find it difficult to fit an exercise regimen into their lives. The best way is to join a gym. If that is not possible, try building exercise into your daily life. If you lead a busy life, then walk to work, or to bus stand etc, climb stairs instead of using lifts, walk while talking on cell phone, or briskly walk to any place you are going to. See how you can change your lifestyle to incorporate exercise. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? There are many factors to consider such as your metabolism, overall health, presence of illness as well as your calorie intake. Others benefit from small frequent meals and not in big large meals. Try not to lose hope and concentrate in losing weight. Regular exercise as well as monitoring your calorie intake may also help. Take care and do keep us posted.
You should get your thyroid tested to make sure you do not have hypothyroidism, which can cause weight gain/inability to lose.  You might also want to get tested for insulin resistance and PCOS, both of which make losing weight difficult if not impossible.
Muscle will weigh more than fat. I started working out 2 years ago and weighted 12st 4lbs (mostly fat) and now I weight 14st (mostly muscle).
A pound is a pound, whether it's muscle or fat. It's just that muscle is compact and fat is "fluffy"......