Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Why do I gain weight when I exercise?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Why do I gain weight when I exercise?

It seems like everytime I add exercise to my healthy eating I tend to gain weight instead of lose.  After several weeks of trying to be patient and give the exercise program (mostly aerobic walking) a chance, I tend to get frustrated and give up exercising because my goal is to lose weight not gain it.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Am I not giving exercise enough time to see the benefits?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes I know what you mean.  Do you notice a difference in your clothes?  The same thing is happening to me now too.  I have been going to the gym and watching what I eat and have gained like 5 lbs or so the scales say.  I don't know if I beleive it or not.  It is really frustrating.  I know they say muscle weighs more than fat.  I am just hoping that is the case!!
Well, muscle weighs more than fat, so that COULD be it. But usually you should see weight-loss when you're doing cardio. Could it be that maybe sub-conciously you're allowing yourself to eat more since you've added the exercise in? You should measure yourself, and see if you lose any inches. If you do, but your scales says other-wise, than you'll know it's just muscle.
I am always told DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF, it discourages you! When you start eating right, and excercising, you will notice a diffrerence. Your clothes will start to fit better, or fall off of you, you will feel better about yourself. If you weigh yourself, it will make you say "Hell, I am working out and eating well, and still gaining weight, I mine as well have a bag of chips" Trust me, been there done that. You will gain before you loose. it is a fact. Like the other person suggested, take measurements, you will see results much faster, and you will be better satisfied! Good Luck.
Thanks to everyone for the support and ideas.  I guess I will stick with exercise a little bit longer to give it more of a chance.  I do feel better when I exercise, but then get discouraged by the scale.  So I will follow your advice and get rid of the scale and start taking measurements instead and see how that goes.  Thanks again for the help.  Good luck to all in reaching your weight loss goals!
This only happens when your body is converting fat into muscle.  Do not worry what the scale says, because you will begin to see the tightened tone in your body soon.
So, I was curious to see what happened with the weight thing.. I have the same exact problem.. and that is why I googled it and found your question.. I never weigh myself.. infact when I started going to the gym I was not trying to lose weight..just tone cause I was slim.  I immediatly have started gaining..and my jeans are close to no buttoning now :(.. I feel huge! It has been 3 weeks.

T

I am having the same problem.  I have been working out for over a month and I am not losing weight and I am gaining inches.  I do cardio and strength training 4 times a week.  Have you seen any results yet?
If you are exercising more then drink more water -  if you don't your body will store fluid to counteract the sweating and salt changes in the body  - your weight increase could be fluid.... ideally drink water before during and after your exercise-

Muscle weighs more than fat but to make a difference on the scale you need to be building muscle which you do by weight training not aerobic/cardio exercise....
Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is denser than fat but does not weigh more.

Ask yourself a question. What weighs more a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers?

They both weigh the same 1lb. For the third time muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat it is denser.
It sounds like your muscles have retained water so keep drinking as much water as you can. I definetely don't think it's fat.

It can't be muscle as it does take more than several weeks to gain one pound of muscle and with you stating you have been exercising on and off, it's unlikely.

The key is water and start weighing yourself with a tape measure instead of scales.

It's more accurate to where you are progressing.
Koodos to you all, I have changed my eating habits and continued exercising but found myself at a hault. But then I noticed I started to gain, simply because I wasn't drinking enough water....I don't go near scales unless I'm at the doctors office, but I can just feel the weight gain in my abdominal area.  Though my jeans do fit I feel bloated all the time...However since reading the post, I took a vow to drink more water and I'll report back with results...Oh and just so you know I went from a woman's size 26 to a misses 14, and I'm still working on it...Thank you once again, I need all the advice I can get...
so does that mean that whenever i begin to run and immediately after i run i should drink water? Or shld i wait for awhile after i run before i can drink water?

I've been gaining since i started my daily jogging. it's depressing and the more i'm stressed about my weight, the more i'll eat and the more i'll gain. it really *****

i used to be really skinny when i didn't even care about my weight. As my consciousness grow, my weight increases...
Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat in the respect that a pound is a pound is a pound, so a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat which also weighs the same as a pound of feathers. But the volume of these pounds are different. Muscle is more dense so it can weigh the same amount as fat but take up less space. So you could say a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html Because this is true that given the same volume muscle will weigh more than fat, you are probably converting some of what was fat into muscle as you are exercising therefore weighing more while getting smaller. But also when you work out and you burn calories faster, you tend to get hungrier. You may be eating the right things, but perhaps too much of them. Keep an eye on your portion sizes, because like a pound of muscle is a pound of fat, 100 calories of celery is the same takes the same work to burn off as a 100 calories of butter.
Thanks so much for asking this question.  I thought I was all alone, but it seems as if I am in good company.  Yesterday I went to boot camp and walked/carried 18 holes of golf and gained 2 pounds!  It just doesn't make sense to me!  Like some of you, I used to be slender but at 59 the scale only seems to go one direction!

I was wondering if I need to try something like Sunrider.  Does anyone have experience with that product line?
You have all collectively said the right things, however do not be discouraged if you are gaining weight.  Do a fat percentage test at the  beginning of the month and at the end.  As you work out, be it running or resistance training you will gain muscle, and as one said earlier muscle does weigh more than fat per volume.  You will lose weight your first month if it is the first time you ever picked up a weight or exercised in your life, but as time goes on you need to be more concerned with fat percentage.  And if you are putting on more fat, but are working out hard five days a week then you probably need to eat more calories.  Your body requires more energy for the new muscle you've created and if you're not compensating for it, it is just as bad as someone who is eating just one meal a day.  You're body will go into a catabolic state and anything you are eating will immediately be stored as fat.  Everyone's body is unique to itself and this where you'll have to keep track of fat percentage as you increase or decrease your calories.  It takes a couple of months to figure out where your body falls, but once you figure out the amount your body needs you will see dramatic fat loss.
So its true that you could be not eating enough then? Catabolic state is something I have never heard or read about. I have 1200 cals a day and do two circuits and two commando fit sessions per week and same as everyone else just not seeing the loss. Some days I dont feel as I have eating much - not on purpose just how the day as gone. Its so hard to know what to do for best cos I always think I need to cut down more but maybe with what you said I need to think about adding.
I get the same thing as soon as I stoped doiing my hour work out I lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks. 4 of them since Tuesday. It disent make sence. Though when I do gym class I lose weight. It dose t make sence for me either.
Muscle does not weigh more than fat.  A pound of muscle weighs one pound and a pound of fat weighs one pound.
I have been exercising for two weeks straight. power walking, jogging, tennis, weight and resistant training. Cut down on my eating. eat really healthy. Sometimes I splurge out, but I don't go crazy.  I even don't eat if not hungry. I drink a lot of water now as well. I have actually put on weight. My clothes don't fit. I have put 2cm on butt, 4 cms on waist and 2 cms on thighs. I don't get it,. Why??? Is there an underlying problem I wonder?
hi. anything that causes stress, be it sudden increase in exercise level, increase in anxiety, poor sleep will cause an excess of cortisol in the body which may be the cause of weight gain initially.But once you continue exercising, the cortisol level stabilizes, your bmr rises and you will lose weight. When you diet, you need to take more protein and less carbs. Dont be on only salads.Dont exercise to lose weight. Do it as a part of a routine, and for the fun of it. Change your lifestyle, your way of thining with respect to food, and you'll see a difference.
There will always be immediate weight gain when you start a new exercise regime. The body stores extra water

Here is some info on Catabolic state:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/body-building/how-to-avoid-a-catabolic-state.html

Here also is some great info on why you may actually gain weight and get bigger when you exercise:

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/f/gainingweight.htm
I do go through a bit of stress. But I can manage it. I don't smoke and I don't drink. My weight in the last few years has been between 70-75 kilos. In one day in can go up 2-3 kilos. then it can go down a few kilos. My weight will not go under 70 kilos. I am overweight by 10 kilos. My BMI was overweight.  I am exercising to lose the weight more so than loving it. Even though I must admit, I am starting to have fun with exercise.
I does frustrate me at times to the point where I say to myself, "Why?" and I feel like giving up. It is not fair now. I used to be so slim and I don't believe what people say that as you get older you put on weight. You get people of all ages who are all types of body weights. If you look at a lot of older people, they are not overweight.
In regards to the pound being a pound I assume the person speaks of volume. So a pound of fat would appear to be more than that of a pound of muscle. So u may weigh more but look different ;)
With increased exercise, comes micro tears in your muscles. This is how we build strength. With micro tears comes inflammation and water retention. This equals a water-weight gain. Nothing to worry about as it will settle down over time with the new exercise intensity increase. Next week should be better.
It is true that if you exercise your muscle will increase in size and weight, but as well as fat should be burned. Gaining weight in spite of loosing may demoralize you. I think you should take much care about your diet. When you exercise your digestive power improves and what you eat easily digest adds calories to your body. So i think you are eating calories and your digestive power complementing it. I suggest your consult a diet consultant and drink more water.

http://www.udderperfection.com/

I am glad to read your posts.  I started power walking a mile a day times three week and I gained weight. Eating right up 1200 calories a day, but I need to increase water. Thighs feel heavier.    I resign to say if I did not see weigh loss soon, I was going to cease walking, can afford to gain anymore weigh.   I am gonng to try indcreasing water intake and see what hppens.
A friend of mine is a gym freak, like she literally HAS to go to the gym for an hour every day otherwise she gets angry etc. Anyway, i started working out with her and she said to me that you shouldn't weigh yourself in the first month becauce you WILL put weight on before you lose it. I don't know why, she said something about storing water. I wasn't particularly paying attention to her. Anyway, seems that she's right so i think maybe it's just a normal thing that happens.
HI Same happened with me, every time I start work out I start gaining weight, my gym instructor told me to stop taking vitamins and calcium for first month of exercise as they reduce burning system, but still no hope.

I talked with my doctor and he told me that all the allergy patients when excercise thier viens start sweeling but u need to carry on after 3rd month it will be all normal and u will start lossing wait but dont do very hard excercise and drink lot of water
OKAY WE GET that pound weighs a pound, but the "muscle weighs more than fat" people are refering to say a cubic inch of muslce, weighs more than a cubic inch of fat....
I really think water is the big issue, if you see massive swings like 5lbs in a day up or down, that is water weight, it takes 3500 calories to lose or gain a pound and you know if you didnt consume 7000 calories in one day than it doesn't make sense that you put 2lbs on over night....its water storage!
so drink more water!use a tape measure!weigh your self on the first of the month! and if you still don't lose the weight dont stop, keep working for a healthy heart-keep lowering your insulin and cholesterol-keep working out because the benefits are there regardless.
I dislike the "it's in the genes" excuse, but I think it applies to many of you. I have this problem. When I exercise (not weight lifting) biking, walking, gardening, whatever, I gain weight. I see it, I feel it and so do other people. I become thicker not just heavier. I am 40 years old and wear a size 2/4. I have stayed thin by NOT exercising. I learned from the mistakes of a couple of older women in my family, with similar build as mine. They were always slender and were told to exercise because they were getting older and didn't want to loose muscle. One of them started spinning classes and after about 6 months had put on 15 lbs and has not been able to loose it since.
I hear it all the time, "women don't put on muscle & bulk". YES THEY DO! It's not water, once you put it on, you have to starve it off - and it will take a long time of starving to get it off.
When I had gym, and we did two mile runs (and trust me I ran), I gained weight, about 5 pounds at first, so I worked harder to try and loose it, and a few more pounds came on, and I always had water after, and the weight wouldn't go away. I am stuck! Thats why I read this question, because I thought I was the only one! But I am not, and I need to know what to do...
am also experiencing the same problem as all of you. Iv started exercising and gain a lot of weight and my have gained a massive appitite for food at the same time, am not lossing the weight which is what i wanted but am actually getting toned up.
I am going through the same thing. I started working out about 1.5 hrs about 5 times a week and ended up gaining 8 lbs. So I started working out more and it doesn't seem to be working. The scale doesn't budge. How do I loose the muscle? Should I stop working out?
Semantics mate, yes a pound weighs a pound but they mean muscle weighs more than fat per cubic cm, read between the lines just a little pleeeease!
Was just reading through this post and comments like that frustrate me, plus I just saw your comment ange23 and thank you!!!!
Best advice here is to measure rather than weigh yourself, try things like hip to waist ratio which is a good one rather than raw measurements. Also give body fat % a go, I picked up a set of scales for $35 just the other day. I don't know how accurate they are but they're consistent which is what really matters.
Regardless of whether or not you gain or lose, exercise is great for your overall health and being stronger feels great!
I'm personally trying to gain weight as my bmi has been sub 17 for years, I know you turn around and curse me but I assure you being called a skinny ........ doesn't feel any better than a fat ........ and gaining is definitely as hard for a person like me as loosing is for a person like you.
Best of luck to you all whatever your goals are :) exercise and eat smart!
wow i cant believe how many peeps have the same problem!ive been working out for 8 months now 3-5 x week,mainly cardio.at first i gained weight,but then lost it about 20lbs.i had abreak form exercise when on holiday but kept my eating to a minimum...now ive strated exercising again, ive put on 7lbs in the last two weeks! is this normal?and is it normal to have to work so hard and lose weight so slowly?i see and hear of others thta it just falls off...and some of my friends dont even exercise yet they have enviable figures it seema as though i cant even have atreat otherwise il gain instantly...
I agree, it's what usually hppens to me, I eat more 'cause i'm doing exercises.
Guys, if you're gaining cm instead of weight, maybe it's because your muscles are going to right place, like your butt is bigger, but the waist is littler. Sorry about the bad english.
I found a link that is very helpful. This link contains many reasons why exercise won't necessarily make you thin or lose weight, it has helped me. and remember 80% is your diet that plays a role in how you lose weight. remember the 80/20 rule, guys. And portion control as well. Here's that link
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html
Last 3 weeks I been swimming 7 days 2x daily for 30 min each time, also I started to watch my calorie intake 1400 per day and for first week I lost 4 pounds, after I gained 8 pounds and I did not change anything ... should I refrain from swimming and start something else?? I prefer swimming bcs I am 235 pounds, 46 old and 5.6 tall  and I have arthritis  so for my joints swimming  works well .... any suggestions?
Yeah I have the same problem. For one month I've been eating less, no chocolates no cakes, doing 15 mins cardio and 20 mins firming exercises, i alternate them day by day with 2 days-off on weekends, I have put on 4 lbs, before exercises I was size 16, now size 18, and wonder why I can't lose it. I feel so upset. I drink water as usual.
I think this weight loss program is wrong for me. Probably the workout is harder than I need because I feel tired. And because I am tired my body feels stress, so it slows down my metabolism. I also feel bad about the eating, because yesterday evening when I passed by hot sweet corn, I felt so hungry, that i needed all my will power not to buy it and swallow at once.
What I'm going to do is to increase calorie level, make my workout slower and easier, and I'll try more water or herbal teas.
I wonder why in just every fitness magazine I read :If you want to lose weight, eat less and work out - cardio and firming. This is not that simple.
Just keep on eating healthy (salmon, chicken, lean pork, broccoli, brown rice and oatmeal make it  with h2o )   and hitting the gym cardio, cardio cardio, Calesthinics (push ups , sit ups , burpees) vigorous effort  and H2O is a plus ...
I have exactly the same problem. And it always happens when I start to exercise and I end up giving up and now I have extra weight that wasn't there before from trying to exercise. I used to jog and I found myself putting on weight and not losing so I stopped.Then I did the Hip hop abs and I didn't lose but I didn't gain either so I did that for longer until I got frustrated. But I really want to get into shape and get healthy so I'm trying again. Its a a cycle really, I start, put on weight then I stop because the results are just depressing. I do about 30mins to 1 hour morning exercises Monday to Friday. My pants that were feeling loose 2 weeks ago are staring to fit snugly now. I really don't want to keep gaining weight and I am over weight by the BMI standards so I need to do something. I want to get healthy, really I do but its just so difficult. I will try drinking more water and watching what I eat, but I've already cut down my portions so much, if I cut them down anymore then I will be starving myself and that really wont help me lose weight. I am so FED up.
I'm the same as most people, I've been exercising for 3 weeks now day on day off set up, my stating weight was 110kg and now I'm 97kg but I have notice I've put weight on and I'm back up to102kg :(  my ideal weight should be around 85kg. I'm 24 with a height of 183cm , it suck that I can get my weight off! But I fill fitter and healthier, I weigh myself once a week and I can't seem to get the weight off. I'm watching what I eat and cut out a lot off fatty foods and drinks , I drink 3-4 Ltr of water a day , what else can I do to get the weight to fall off???
I'm coming back with a report. Last Saturday I started another weight loss program. I was 178,6 lbs on  15 Oct (with 4 lbs of gained weight when exercising as i said in my previous post). The new program was: 1,5 minutes of jogging, 3 quick stretches, than 4 cycles of exercise 1 for one muscle group 12 reps and exercise 2 for another muscle group 12 reps. That all took  10 minutes I think. Monday exercise 1 for chest muscles, exercise 2 for back, tuesday shoulders and abs, wednesday triceps and biceps, thursday hamstrings and quads, friday calfs and buns, saturday inner and outter thighs, sunday day-off. Diet: I ate half a portion of what I usually eat - pasta,rice, chicken, fish, soup and a big portion of vedges (as Beastman said broccoli, brussels sprouts and others) made in steamer without fat until I felt full. I ate steamed vedges for each meal. Also I bought wholegrain bread, soymilk, tofu along with low fat cheese and milk. I did not eat cakes and sweets, maybe one little sweet or cookie a day to feel happy (tomorrow is day-off so I'm going to have a piece of cake). I tried to eat my latest meal at 18 o'clock, I ate as I said half portion of usual food and big plate of vedges until I feel I don't want to look at food. So late at night I did not feel hungry. On 20 Oct I was 173,7 lbs.
On 20 Oct I decided to try flax oil which was highly recommended by the weight loss program. It was bitter but eatable, I had about 1,5 teasp. I felt so bad after it - stomach ache and nausea, so I couldn't eat anything but porridge and green tea for 2 days and no workouts. Please be wiser than me when trying a new product. Today I'm better, 172,4 lbs.
My conclusion: weight loss program shoud be chosen individually. If I feel tired or hungry, workout and diet are counterproductive.
Hello, I just want to report that it works. Today is 29 Oct and I'm 170,2 lbs. I can see my waist line and feel my arms are firmer. I think it's because my body gets accustomed to exercises gradually and has enough time to build a muscle group without stress. At the same time exercises with enough time to rest and food increases the metabolism. I am not a specialist, this is my supposition. I added chocolates 70% dark and sweets (dried apricots and plums in chocolate) to my diet, not many, and they did no harm to my weight. Also I added 1 teaspf. of olive oil to my steamed veggies for my hair to shine and a little of himalayan salt (it's new for me, i heard about it in a tv program about raw food cuisine). Maybe the veggies are not as tasty as desserts, but I want to look nice so have to make an effort.
which technically means it does weigh more. per square inch of muscle, it weighs more than per square inch of fat. it depends how youre looking at the equation.
however, whoever mentioned converting fat to muscle was clearly mistaken. your body cannot change fat into muscle.. it can only burn fat and build muscle. Changing fat to protein molecules is IMPOSSIBLE. They are completely different Macromolecules.
-Chels.
i have the same exact prob now thats why i google why do gain weight when i exercise? and im happy that i know that im not the only one..and now i think that maybe is really hard to get to loose weight in a normal way..and according to my health training adviser you  have to take enough calories to have strenght or power to build muscle while exercising and it take 3 months to build muscle...and now i think that by continuing my exercise maybe it well get a nice result then...and also mix w/ pray!! gud luck to all of us...
You are probably gaining weight for the obvious reason, muscle weighs more than fat. However, many people skimp out on meals so they can lose weight. What you need to do it have a solid caloric intake, not too high but definatly not too low either. At every meal try to have 40 40 20, 40% carbs 40% protein 20% fat, you could even cut your fat to 15% if you wish. Also with cardio do weights, weights increase your metabolic rate while resting and with cardio its very good. The two coincide with eachother very well, do weights and do some big olympic lifts, lots of women say "Why would i do big lifts, i do not want to get bigger", but trust me if your caloric intake isnt too high these lifts are extremely good for burning fat and gaining muscle. Do weights, then cardio at each workout.I hope all of this helps and do not forget motivation is one of the biggest keys in dieting, you can have all the ingredients, but without the motivation to bake the cake, its useless.
A pound is a pound, no matter what material it's made of.
This is all crap.  You have to eat correctly and work out correctly to lose weight.   I have lost 56.6 pounds (18.6 of those in 12 weeks).  Most people over-estimate how much they work out and under estimate how much they eat.  It's calories in and calories out.  Don't eat processed.  Eat whole grains, watch your salt, drink water, track your calories, eat lean meats.  Don't skip breakfast and don't drink soda, regular or diet.  If nothing works, then see your doctor for some tests.  Try Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig.   Never, ever ever give up exercise.  It is good for you and good for your heart.  Check out: Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels or The New ME Diet.
Wow, The same happened to me, I've been exercising for a few days, did a good run yesterday and seemed to have put on a kilo or 2 :o ,i've been eating well. scales are always telling you a different number. Its best to measure or judge by how you look. Sadly i never get enough sleep because I travel far to work so I'm up at 4.45am 5 days a week.
Exercise in itself does not cause you to gain weight. Its impossible as exercise expends energy. An increased appetite which is disproportionate to the calories burned through exercising may cause you to gain weight. Eating convenience foods or less healthy food because you are working out late and grab something on the way home may also make you gain weight. Also, as your body gets used to certain types of exercises, it becomes more efficient, and the body burns less calories to do them - meaning the intensity of the exercise needs to increase in order to burn more.  

Look at the other factors in your life. What are you also doing differently since you started exercising? If you're eating more, then that is why you will be gaining.

Also, be careful of exercises which are low calorie burners. I'm talking about walking (unless you are just starting out), pilates and yoga. There is nothing wrong with doing these activities, but if your goal is fat burning you need to do be doing cardio at a high intensity and also including strength training.
Walking and yoga are excellent exercises.  I love them both and when I do them regularly, I do lose weight.
is this really true wat you have comented??? do we really gain before loosing?? bz it is happening with me.. i gained 2 kg in one week after intense cardio and abs training in my gym... its really feel like hellll. :(
When you first start working out, you are building muscle; since muscle is more compact than fat, your weight can actually go up, before it starts coming down.

Additionally, exercise can make you more hungry so you eat more.  If you are sticking with plenty of fresh/frozen veggies, etc, you'd be okay eating more, however, if you are "compensating" with a candy bar, you will gain.
I'm the same as you all! I've always been a solid build but really quite muscly and I broke my collar bone and couldn't exercise. Since getting back into it I have gained even more weight! I threw my scales away today and strongly believe my body is changing shape, toning and building muscle. As for my actual weight. I don't really want anyone picking me up and throwing me around anyway!
how long u guys spend ur tme in d gym ??? do ull eat d right thing ??? wht time u hit d bed ???how long u spend ur hours sleeping ??? r ull doing d right workout ?? do ull feel d pain when ur working out ??? do ull guys concentrate while ull r working out ?? r ull working out everyday?? ans to d questions to knw why ull r not losing weight after working out in gym  
And you've experienced these problems for yourself have you? So in other words because you can't explain it logically you think people are just doing it wrong? I lost weight/ maintained weight loss for 7 years happily, then at 40 staerted to train for half marathons. I cycle to work, do vibro plate combined with weights also walking. I have gained a stone since then and lots of muscle.The reason I know I wasn't eating more is that I followed the Slimming World programme throughout and still do.I have had to stop going to conventoinal slimming clubs to be weighed as they can't understand that you can be doing all the right things and still gaining weight. May I suggest you don't really know what you're talking about?
I'm having the same issue. I find it really, really frustrating that now I have to eat MORE in order to lose weight so my body can compensate for the the energy my muscles now need. That's TOO expensive for me, so I'm at a loss of what to do. (I don't count calories, I've done it before, anything from eating 1,000 to 1,500 (1,000 is unhealthy for anyone, but I didn't know that at the time)) if anything eating more is always, always better. From my experience losing weight has nothing to do with burning more calories then you consume, not by counting them anyway. it has to do with eating healthy and getting exercise. That's it. Problem is that when you're doing that, you will be more hungry and if you don't eat enough EVERYTHING you eat is stored as fat (hence why people say you OVER ate, because all of it is stored as fat, if you did more over eating, the opposite would happen, which is something the diet and exercise industry does NOT tell you) Eating at least 6 portion meals a day (The equivalent of say 4 oz of protein, a cup of veggies and say 1/3 - 1/2 cup of fruit per meal) is a great way to get in everything you need. Protein makes you feel fuller so you can last the next 2-3 hours till your next meal, getting in veggies is never, ever a bad thing and getting in some fruit gets your carbs, vitamins and some more fiber, along with what the veggies had as well. Make whatever plate you create for your meal, half veggies, you can not go wrong. Drink only water and tea (green tea has great health benefits, including weight loss over all and antioxidants, about 3 cups a day is good - However, if you're watching for caffeine, skip the tea and just drink water) Soda in any form is a no, fruit juice is also a no as you're getting straight vitamins and sugar with no fiber to prevent the super fast absorption. Also, if you're a choco-sugar addct like me, have one day off every two weeks or once a month where you eat what you want in terms of sweets or something you really like. Also, don't control portions too much on this day, frankly, go all out (that is to say, have a few slices of cake instead of one if you really want it, not the whole thing) If you don't actually let yourself have this day off, it'll build up in your mind later (Well, I did only have one piece of cake that day ... I guess another one this week wouldn't hurt) No, just take that day off and go do something fun as well, make it a complete and total treat - You will gain some weight during that time, but as soon as you shock your body back to regular eating, no refined sugars or anything, you'll lose it again. Even though most of us know what to do ... I'm pretty sure most of us can't actually afford to eat enough good healthy foods to keep off the catatonic state our body goes into (Not in this economy anyway - Healthy foods, why you so damn expensive?!?). I'm just unsure if that means that one should refrain from working out to build muscle at all if one can't keep up with how much they should actually be eating so that it doesn't convert into fat instead of energy like it should. Also, eating the protein, veggies and a bit of fruit is JUST how our ancestors would eat. Also, you could try adding a serving of carbs to every other meal (rice, pasta, potatoes ect, complex carbs are always better though) and dairy for about 2-3 out of the 6+meals (milk, yogurt, cheese, etc Unless of course you're lactose intolerant) The less simple carbs the better though, hence why fruits and veggies will give you enough. Even some meats have a few carbs. Also, FATS ARE GOOD FOR YOU. It's the combo of fats along with (simple mostly)carbs that generally cause weight gain. Fat alone is really good for the body, you NEED fat, even a small amount of saturated fat is good and monounsaturated along with polyunsaturated are the good fats that either increase good cholesterol (poly), or do both increase of good cholesterol as well as lowering fat (mono). Low fat foods often have extra carbs and sugar as well. They're a big ol' scam to be honest. Transfats though are just awful and usually found in processed and packaged foods. They increase your bad cholesterol as well as decrease the good. Saturated may increase the bad, but you DO need a small amount of the "bad" kind in your body, in fact you'll die with out it. Anyway, just felt I should share the knowledge I found and my personal experiences. By doing a more moderate version of everything I mentioned above, I've lost 30 pounds from 198 to about 168 in 6-8 months and that would of been faster had I known to do everything I know now. Stressing about weight can also increase weight, so just take everything in stride. None of this is an easy battle, so I say good luck to everyone fighting it! Here's to being healthy, mind body and soul :)
Meant to say monounsaturated fats lower bad cholesterol, not that they lower fat, typing error. Why isn't there an edit button?
Well said. From my experience there are many factors that go into losing weight not just diet and exercise. I think one of the best way to lose weight is to eat a healthy breakfast. No one mentioned it. If you don't eat breakfast (eat something healthy by the hour you wake up) your body goes into fat storage mode. Many people skip breakfast and that will make it nearly impossible to lose the weight. Managing your metabolism is a big part of losing weight. What you eat is also important. Don't cut out all fats as there are good fats that you need. And be careful with the scale as your body weight shifts throughout the day. I think its better to weigh yourself a few times a week and average it for the week, and weigh yourself at the same time of day each time. Stress and sleeping habbits also prevents you from losing weight and actually make you gain weight. It takes time and is a lifestyle. Don't think of it as a diet, but more like living a healthier life. Too many people I think expect instant results. Try to stick with it at least for 6 months and be real with yourself and be accountable for what you do and eat.
You are still eating too many carbs (Bad ones not good ones) Your diet is probably wrong and the workout might be wrong for you. You are gaining muscle under the fat, but not losing fat.

Also- main argument, Muscle weighs more than fat. You are doing fine, weighing yourself is inaccurate. Measure inches. ^^
Changing the subject a little here. I am a 26 year old female who has a very fast metabolism so i have struggled to put on weight my whole life. Recently, i joined a gym doing weights to gain muscle and fat, during the 4 month period i am slowly putting on weight (4kg) in total but my measurements are decreasing? how does this even make sense?
Here is what I gained from my experience.

Exercise is not intended to lose weight. Exercise is intended to keep us healthy and maintain our weight. The best way to lose weight is to be on a healthy diet of no more than 1200 calories a day and hold off on exercising other than the daily activities. Once reaching the goal weight, then start muscle/cardio exercise to start toning up the body and maintain the weight.

Here is where many of us get confused. Exercising helps to build more muscles, and those muscles do burn more calories than fat does, but we have to remember, it is only by extra 3 calories per lbs of muscle, which is not much at all. Exercising regularly is good because it promotes healthy heart, lowers cholesterol and chances of cancer, but it does not help much to shed extra lbs in our body.

I used to be size 8-10, and I hit the gym one hour a day, three, four times a week to reach my goal of size 4. At the same time, I also tried to be on healthy diet, no fast food, no soda, no dressings and sauces, etc.. After 8 months or so, I did go down to size 6, but I was not satisfied with the result. I did look a little better with long pants and long sleeves on, but I still had big calves, chubby upper arms, and abdominal fat, and it seemed like whatever I did, I was not losing any more weight and wasn't sure if I was doing anything wrong. And I came across this lady at the gym who seemed very fit told me that, exercise builds muscles and helps to shred some fat; however, the majority of the fat will stay in body and will mix with the new muscles, and when this happens, the body can actually grow more in size and can be harder to lose that fat that's now mixed with the muscle group. I took her advice and stopped exercising and focused on staying on healthy diet and noticed I started going down on my body size, and I finally reached size 0-2 last year. My arms, legs, abs were a lot slimmer. One downside was that my butt and breast decreased in size also, but I was very satisfied on how I looked. Then I started exercising again, doing 30 minute muscle work out and  30 min cardio, still staying on healthy diet, and I still am at size 0-2, feeling more fit and toned.

Bottom line, I realized losing weight heavily relies on what we eat, not on how much we exercise. Exercise is definitely needed to promote a healthy life style, but if one's goal is to lose weight, I would recommend strictly staying on healthy diet with the max of 1200 calories a day until reaching a goal and then start exercising.

Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted to share my experience since I had same questions as some of you guys did. Hope this helps.
I think the one thing we forget s genetics if mothers and mothers of mothers have large arms and calves one or two of those kids of those mothers will also have these same body types. Exercise does help, but it has to have a break in there to see results if you exercise five or six days a week then you should rest for one week this allows muscles to relax and then you weigh and see results. I have been in the gym since July 2010 and I have lost almost five dress sizes i was a 24 now I am inbetween a 16 and a 18. The majority of what I do is cardio I dont believe in diets I have just changed my life style and its working. Again no weights all treadmill high incline a bike spinning is all i do in my workout routine.
You are gaining muscle not weight.  Muscle weighs more than fat.  Keep it up and you will notice a difference in a few months.  Do resistance training - I find that it is the best.  Going on a treadmill is not exercise.  You would have to stay on the thing forever just to lose a couple of pounds.  Also go on some of the machines.
going on a treadmill is not exercise lol?

few simple tips to help you all out ppl-

-fat does NOT convert to muscle.
-cals in VS cals out is how you lose fat....consume more than your body burns in a day and it will be stored as fat.
-no form of exercise is better than the next imo its simply a means of burning extra calories.
-drink plenty water
-get plenty protein and good fats in your diet (low carb diets work best imo)
-your weight will be like a yoyo during any low carb diet...dont get discoraged by this, its simply water (or should be if your following the diet correctly) carbs convert to glysogen(energy) glysogen retains water, no carbs = no glysogen = no water retention..so when/if u consume carbs like a 'carb up' the water retention will bump the scales up, doesnt mean anything to fat burning so go by the tape measure.

look into CKD (keto diet) with 1 carb up day a week, i personally use this day as a cheat day when im cutting body fat to keep me sane and have something to look forward too :)

CALS IN VS CALS OUT

good luck

i have a question for you since you seem to know what your talking about. i have been doing a six day a week routine for a year now. my routine includes three days weight training and three days cardio. i have lost 40lbs but the scales have been stuck at that loss for over four months now. my strength gains have been really good in my opinion and i seem to be getting stronger every month but why cant i seem to get the weight off i am carrying 90% of my excess weight in my stomach and i do sit ups and follow healthy eating. thanks
I have the same problem. Eating healty, gym 4 times a week. And ive gained 4kg its realy makeing me unmotivated. My job does consist of lifting heavy stuff but people keep telling me it looks like ive lost weight but im cofusd?
Yes it does. If you take a slab of fat and a slab of muscle and the both take up the same area....the muscle will weigh more. You can't compare the weight of 1 pound of each because you already stated they're the same weight.
Yes it does. If you take a slab of fat and a slab of muscle and the both take up the same area....the muscle will weigh more.
Oh hey so I came to this page too because I had the same problem. Recently though I have been using a product called Vemma bode you can find here: http://************* Friend of mine did pretty well on it so I'm now giving it a go. If anyone would like more info just message me at steven.***@****.
I'll message back here after a couple weeks to share my results!
A pound is a pound, no matter what it consists of.  Some things are simply denser than others, so that same pound would take up less room.  Comparison: a one pound rock or one pound of feathers; the molecules of the rock are tightly packed, while the feathers are fluffy....... muscle is denser, like the rock; fat is fluffy like the feathers........therefore, a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.
1. Situps will not help you loose belly fat - they will tone your stomach muscles, but do nothing for fat.
2. either your diet is off (as in not eating enough or too much - both can cause you to plateau).
3. you may need to change your routine. add more days of cardio, i do 5 days of lifting and 5 days of cardio. In addition, make sure you increase your weights - if you are simply lifting the same amount of weight you aren't doing any good.
Check your diet, see if your eating too much or too little.
You may just be gaining muscle or water weight.
If you are gaining muscle what's the big deal. Gaining muscle weight/mass is a good thing. Most people focus too much on weight. What is important is body fat percentage.

Remember, what most people view as healthy/skinny in the media is actually emaciated. You don't want to end up looking like a twig.
Make sure you are eating enough. If you're burning massive calories your body may go into starvation mode and start storing everything you eat. It's important to know how many calories you are burning a day and then adjust your diet to that.
Couple of thoughts:

-Cardio is nice for burning off fat, BUT it's been proven that strength training can actually be more effective in the long run cause you're building more metabolically active tissue.  Fat doesn't burn nearly as many calories as muscles does.  Imagine being a fat burning machine simply by existing, 24/7.  Do your strength training in addition to cardio and combat the fat on two fronts.

-Don't severely under eat.  If you do, your body will FIRST take the deficiency from your muscles before your fat and you don't want that as it will lead to a lower metabolism.  When you're taking in enough calories to maintain your muscles and working out enough to challenge yourself, your body will hit that sweet spot where it will take energy from your fat stores instead.  Also, the advantages to under eating die off after a month or so as your metabolism will actually lower itself to meet the deficiency, which will cause a plateau.  So, instead of going the starvation route and ultimately lowering your metabolism, do your strength training and cardio, eat enough so your body doesn't think it's starving, and work on RAISING your metabolism instead.  This does require a 'conditioning' period where you may not see results right away.  However, much like a diesel truck, it starts out slow but gains momentum and soon is a hard to stop machine.

-Challenge yourself in your workouts.  The common theme you'll notice with the body is that it doesn't WANT to lose fat.  It wants to keep that excess fat for starvation times.  So you have to convince the body first that it's not starving and you have to make it think it NEEDS to let go of the fat based on how you exercise.  A leisurely walk isn't going to be very convincing, your body can give you all the energy for that just fine and not break a sweat.  A good 30 minute power walk will challenge your body though.  In the beginning that is.  Remember, the body adapts and it will find a way to give you the energy you need to workout and at the same time keep the fat.  So after a month, the power walking doesn't work anymore and you plateau and frustration settles in.  So how do you 'trick' the body into fat burning mode again?  Change up the workouts.  Instead of power walking, do some cycling or elliptical work.  Switch out your strength training programs about every month or so with new routines that challenge your muscles in different ways.  Don't allow yourself to get too comfortable in a given routine because that is your body telling you it's adapting, which means no progression.  A warning though:  Be careful about over training too.  I have read stories of the 1200 calorie/day girl who trains at the gym for an hour and then goes on her 1 hour jog in the morning and evening and then wonders why she isn't loosing weight.  Don't over do it, just add VARIETY.  Thirty minutes to an hour a day is just fine.

-track your calories.  I use myfitnesspal.com personally.  It has a process to help you know what your calorie requirements should be per day AND it allows you to key in your food choices based on a pre-populated database of foods.  You don't have to key in calorie amounts.  Just key in '1 medium size orange' and it has all the data stored for you.  Also, what's nice is you can key in your workouts, what you're doing and for how long and it will auto adjust your calorie needs accordingly.  The important thing in doing this is to give you a FEELING for what your calorie level should be.  I found after doing this for a few weeks that I didn't need to track anymore really as I KNEW what i should be eating based on experience.  However, I still track my food becasue I can trend other pieces of data, like the balance of nutrient levels.  Am I eating too much sodium, getting enough fiber, etc.

-speaking of sodium, get this under control, 2400 mg/day is RDA.  The more sodium in your diet, the more water you retain and that leads to weight gain.  A lot of people, when going on a diet, lose weight pretty quickly at first.  This is usually due to the immediate change in sodium in what they're eating, since they're usually eating cleaner and thus less sodium.  This is important too for those of you battling high blood pressure as water retention can lead to high blood pressure levels.

Anyway, just a few tips I've learned along the way, this coming from a guy who lost 45 lbs in the last year from exercise, eating clean, and LEARNING about how real health works.  Do you research, the more you know, the more power you have to change your life and body.
I appreciate this comment.  I did a 7,9,3 miler run plus elliptical training in one week.  When I went back to weight watchers I gained 1.4lbs.  I did increase my calories according to their plan.  What a disappointment.  Weighing in today and hoping for a better number this week.  My leader (a runner) did mention something about muscle tears.  Thank you again!
I had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago. As this is not a quick fix, it is a jump start but then I have to do the rest..eat right, exercise.... BUT I have put on 10 pounds, so I really buckled down and I excercise everyday, and what happens... I put on 3 more pounds! this happened to me before, so I really think I should not exercise this much because of the weight gain, and it is not just the scale my clothes are tight. this is extremely upsetting I have gone through alot to get down to the size I am, not only bypass surgery, my gallbladder had to be removed then 2 months later my appendix IT WAS A NIGHTMARE... now I am so concerned I will get back up to 220 pounds again! I was very happy at 120 pounds now I am creeping up I weigh 133! Now I know some of you are going what is wrong with her she is only 133 pounds. BUT it keeps going up and I am someone who has been obese for so many years, I seem to be headed in the wrong direction..
FYI:i work out with a personal trainer 3 times a week and i do strength training and cardio and i also work out 3 times a week on my own cardio only because muscle weighs more then fat so i do more cardio then strenght training to lose size the reason your scale is saying you gained or are the same weight is because muscle weighs more then fat a scale cant tell you whats going on on the inside of your body you have lost body fat but have gained muscle mass 1 pound of muscle is to 5 pounds of fat trust me this is true i work with meny personal trainers and my husband is an employee at california family fitness in sacramentom,ca i had the same problem and was very confused at first but you have to do more cardio then strenth training to loss size try not weighing yourself we use a little thing you hold in your hand and it tells you how much body fat and muscle you have and we check inces on my body dont use a scale do more cardio then strenght training to lose size but doing strenght training gaining muscle is dropping body fat you will see yourself looking better and feeling better drink nothing but water and try not eating any meat for about 2weeks and instead snack with almonds you will see a drop in your size also i do not eat meat and my weight dropped 15pounds before 2 months had past but you gotta do cardio while drinking lots of water TRUST ME ASK ANY PERSONAL TRAINER OR GO TO ANY GYM AND ASK THEM THEY ALL WILL TELL YOU MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THEN FAT!!!! STAY FOCUSED AND STRONG YOU CAN DO IT DONT GIVE UP!!
Thank you for giving such honest and easy to understand advice.
I joined atletics last year and id been in good shape haelthy and all but in pe and I joined athletics and track then I stared gaining weight (not just muscle) and gettin more and more out of shape it fustrates me cuz at the beginin I waz quite skinnky at 126 and now im 140 and I have a slight bellt >( this has to quite a few of of the people in my atlthics program
I joined atletics last year and id been in good shape haelthy and all but in pe and I joined athletics and track then I stared gaining weight (not just muscle) and gettin more and more out of shape it fustrates me cuz at the beginin I waz quite skinnky at 126 and now im 140 and I have a slight bellt >( this has to quite a few of of the people in my atlthics program at my school
Technically, JT, you are absolutely correct. A pound of gary and a pound of muscle weigh exactly the same ... One pound. But here's another question for you. Which weighs more, one cubic foot of fat or one cubic foot of muscle? Skill, the logical answer, of course, is muscle.
On the human body, e have a somewhat limited
On the human body, we have a somewhat limited
A pound is a pound, no matter what it is; it's simply that some things are denser (molecules are tightly packed) than others.
The reason why muscle weighs more than fat is simple; muscle utilizes water to synthesize protein. In order to build muscle you must eat protein. However, when you first start working out, your muscles will fill with water in order to repair and create more muscle. Most of you are right, one pound of fat would be equivalent to one pound of muscle, however, if you take one pound of muscle and fill it with water it will weigh more than one pound of fat. Everyone's muscles contain water but when your body is just beginning to get used to exercise your muscle is a bit shocked which causes water retention. The only thing I can say is do not give up, maybe up your water intake, and do a caloric zig zag diet. Otherwise, taking in too little calories can cause weight gain. In every diet you are supposed to continually reduce your calories or up your workout and if you start at 1,200 calories and you plateau if your keep reducing your calories you will end up eating nothing.
I lost 10 pounds and went on vacation for a week.  So, I decided to power walk, pulled out the juiceman and eat mostly vegetables and fruit.  Got on the scale and noted a three pound gain.  I drink plenty of water, love the stuff, I drink it up until I go to sleep.   I eat up 1200 calories a day,  I plateaued after the ten pound lost for two months, so I was ADDED exercising, so that is why I started power walking.  I have gained back three pounds, however, I do believe it is water weight, because the three pound gain happen over night.  Oddly enough as long as I was doing aerobics, I did not gain.   Last summer I gain 8 pounds walking and it take 3 months to get that off.
The majority of the population is low on Vitamin D - being low on this can inhibit a person's ability to lose fat - and to see results when exercising and altering diet -
http://www1.umn.edu/news/features/2009/UR_CONTENT_165066.html
Research this!

I, personally, began to see a difference in my weight when I started taking 2000 iu of D daily.  Before starting to take D, I did not check my levels through a blood test.  I just assumed I was low.  You can however check with a standard CBC.  Last time I went to the doctor and checked, I had adequate amounts of D, but I was still on the low side!  
I do not want to tell anyone what level is ok for them to take, (and I know that excess levels of vitamin D can be toxic) - but it is worth exploring.  
Good luck!
Another note:  my dad is a physician and I talked to him about this issue before starting to take this vitamin.  There are other health benefits to taking vitamin D.  
Interesting article.  I'd seen it once before, but it's been a long time.  

It's true that a lot of us are deficient in vitamin D, and supplementing is usually okay.  

In order to avoid having people think they can simply supplement with vitamin D and lose weight, I do think it's important to note the following statement by the researcher in the article:
"But she cautions against going overboard with vitamin D—there are levels where it can become toxic in the system—and reiterates that there is still no definitive link to weight loss."

I take 2000 iu of vitamin D daily and have seen no difference at all in my weight.
No a pound is a pound, why would muscle weigh more than fat??? A ton of feathers weighs the exact same as a ton of bricks, a ton is a ton, so if your gaining weight , you are probably losing the fat but making your fatty muscles more pronounced. Get it?
Don't get discouraged if you gain weight when working out.  I'm 5'8 and not long ago I used to weigh 155 lbs., wear a size 12/14 in bottoms, and need a large in shirts; my measurements were 40-32-38.  Then I started working out--doing circuit training, running, and using a stationary bike--and yes, I gained a little while I was doing it.  But now, after working out consistently for 5-6 days a week, I wear a size 6/8 in bottoms and need a size small (sometimes XS!) in shirts; my measurements are 38-28-39.  

But guess what?  I weigh 151 lbs.  That's only a four pound decrease, but that's four inches off my waist and much, much smaller clothes.  And my hips are a lot bigger now than they were--but in a good way, because I had no butt and hips at all before.  I also had tiny chicken legs but now have muscular thighs and calves.  I used to be an apple shape with a lot of fat, and now I'm an hourglass with a lot of muscle.  But I've only lost four pounds.  

Weight means nothing!  It's all about body shape, muscle mass, and fat percentage.  Don't stress about weight--concentrate on health and fitness!
dear the same happened with me i have been going to gym daily and eating health diet but my weight is increasing with the muscles.but now i am walking morning and evening before go to the gym and after eating.now i slowly decrease my some weight.
I'm having this problem but I have lost 20 lbs but it seem like the scale each week likes to play games with me I'm completely stuck. I'll lose then the next week I'm back and then it repeats ugh but I also measure at the same time. I workout 4-5 times a week and eat about 1200-1300 calories a day. Totally frustrating but keep going because sometimes it could be water weight not fat gained. Try to weigh in every two weeks if you have to I will probably start doing the same. Goodluck girl. :-)
This is good advice. I drink between 1/2 and 1 gallon of water a day since I began going to the gym 6 weeks ago. I am seeing a huge difference in my strength. I started most of my weights at 70 pounds and am up to 130-150 now. However, I have gained a lot of weight and it is very depressing. My scale Tracks weight, BMI, muscle mass, water retention, and a few other things. My water retention wont go up no matter how much water I drink which is depressing. But I have gained 7 pounds in 7 weeks. I see a very tiny difference in my waist as far as visual weight loss but other than that I am still in all my same clothes and no change is happening in my size. WTF?? I have never weighed this uch in my life. This is depressing.
Hi all...  I got this Christmas gift Elliptical Machine. And I have start using  it since Jan'12. half an hour a day, at least 4 times a week till now. I did not even loose half a  inch.. Can someone tell me why ? I am giving up soon.. Really frustrated..
Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound! If you look at a pound of fat and a pound of muscle (chicken fat next to filet mingnon) the muscle is smaller in size. I too am having a battle with the scale after training in cardio and weights for 5 weeks. I have gained and it is frustrating! But....I have muscle tone, definition and feel great. So I now have to decide should I pay so much attention to the scale or just the tape measure???
CALORIES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. HOW YOUR BODY CONVERTS CELERY...WATER & NUTRIENTS, IS FAR DIFFERENT FROM HOW IT CONVERTS BUTTER....PURE FAT.
I have to add to this as well. I'm beginning to think it must be something to do with genetics or something for certain people. Yes I see all the proof that exercise is great for weight loss, I believe that it works for most people but it simply doesn't for me. A year ago I decided I wanted to get healthy, though I loved my weight and wanted to maintain it. I started eating regular portions of veggie and protein based meals while going for runs and doing a bit of weights, pilates etc. In the first three months I went from 56kg to 59kgs but everyone kept reassuring me that you gain weight at first then you go back to your normal size or lose it so I kept going and gradually increased the exercise to 45 minutes 4 to 5 days a week. In the next three months my weight went up to 64kgs. Yes I was stronger but none of my clothes fit anymore, my bmi was almost in the overweight section and my self esteem plumetted. I couldn't believe that by doing everything that was recommended that this could happen. I talked to gym trainers, nutritionists, doctors and they all told me to just keep going, that because I was doing everything right, that anytime now i'd go back to my normal size. But after 6 months I was sick of trying my hardest and being unhappy. I changed my exercise to only a bit of yoga and the occasional walk, and actually began to introduce a few of the treats into my diet i'd denied myself for so long and the weight just dropped off me. I lost 4kgs in 2 weeks, another 4kgs in the next month and am still gradually losing. I am now another 6 months down the track far slimmer than I have ever been in my life, I feel happy, confident and I actually feel far healthier than I did when I was being "healthy". I have no idea why my body had such a negative reaction to the exercise but from now on I'm just going to do what feels right and natural to my health and happiness instead of following others instructions because hey at the end of the day we know our own bodies the best.
Unfortunately, it's all about what you eat. Try eating strictly vegetarian while training, and drink A LOT of water.
I am 23 yrs of old and underweight(40kg). I got frustrated with my skinny appearance. I eat well. Will exercise like brisk walking,jogging help in gaining weight??
To the ones who believe muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, you don't know what you're talking about! In volume muscle weighs more than fat. We know muscles retain water, it is still important to exercise and watch calorie intake for your body type to continue your goal to weight/fat loss. Your body is too smart because it knows exactly when to store fat and when to use it up. If you keep on eating the same amount of calories, same types of foods and exercising the same time everyday and you'll hit a plateau before you know it. You have to shock your body EVERYDAY, meaning, eating different foods at different times of the day, making sure you include protein in EVERY meal and eat breakfast within the first hour you wake up (which is a must everyday), to maximise your fat loss as you burn it with the right foods and exercise. But when you eat the right food at breakfast, it kick-starts your metabolism, providing you with a steady stream of energy to keep you going through the day.  Don't forget, if you're getting 6 hours of sleep or less a night, you are slowing your metabolism dramatically because it seems to have an effect on glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity which determines how well our body is able to metabolise energy from foods containing carbohydrates. If you do not eat the right breakfast, your metabolism stays at a slower rate and doesn't get the kick-start it needs to give you energy. Soy in particular has been found to speed up the body’s ability to burn calories as well, balancing blood sugar as well as providing a healthy snack which makes you feel fuller for longer. The idea is to eat foods than burn faster prior to exercise (up the carbs before exercise) and replace it with more protein after, using the 3 hr rule and watching your portions everyday, that way your body won't store carbs into fat. Eat a snack/meal every 3 hours and make your snacks protein only, so the body will force itself to burn fat faster. Eating differnt meals and doing different exercises at different times of the day, including calorie intake (1200 one day, 1400 the next, then 1300, then 1150, walking one day, interval/resistance training the next, spin class the next, swimming the next and so on..) is the key to permanent fast weight loss. Hope this helps.
*TRICKING the body by shocking it when you eat different foods and exercises at different times of the day makes your body wonder what you're going to do next. Eating small meals with protein in every meal every 3 hours increases your metabolism from morning to night, even while you sleep. Eating 6 smaller meals one day, 3 square meals the next, then 5 smaller meals the day after, then 4 meals a day after that, making sure you watch your calorie intake but never keeping it at 1200 (the same) but never exceeding calories for maintenance weight, even changing exercises and for how long and at different times, you will see faster results. ;)
Technically, though, our bodies don't body is convert fat into muscle. We burn up fat to use as energy - our bodies create new muscle from protein contained in our food when we do exercise. The fat doesn't turn into muscle, but it may seem that way. As we lose one it is possible to gain the other. If we just diet and don't exercise, we would lose fat but not gain muscle. If we exercise hard and eat less, we will burn fat and build muscle. If we eat more and do no exercise, we would store more fat around our body and waste muscle through lack of use.
Exercising in contrary to a common knowledge is not supposed to make you lose weight all it does is that it burns fats and make you gain muscle weight which is heavier than fats. But do you see yourself more fit? Because you are combining the workouts with healthy diet then am sure even if you gain weight it is going to be healthy weight that does not affect your health. Exercising also is recommended to those who are stumped on how to gain weight so usually people will recommend them doing exercises so that they gain muscle weight.
I am soooo glad you said this.. So many people think that muscle weighs more than fat. 1lb is 1lb !!!!
whoever u r i hope u r right....i have being doing pressup and cardio and sit ups my pants which was tight comes realy right round my hip not my waist n b4 it was actually tight on my waist BUT have blady F***** gained 700grams...feel lyk crying my eyeballs out....oh n i weigh myself everyday.....i know u must be going stop dat B***h...well datz wat my frndz tell me...dea exact words...should i b worried or happy...PLIZ help
your advice is not only wrong,  it is harmful.  this is not a forum for anorexics,  it is a forum for people seeking to be healthier.
I also gain weight every time I exercise, even while on a strict Weight Watchers diet.  I believe it is due to cortisol or estrogen levels rising when I exercise.  It so so frustrating.  My clothes get tighter and I get fatter around the middle.  If I give up exercising, then I will sometimes start losing weight.
I've always lost weight when I've incorporated exercise in my schedule. However, I wouldn't weigh myself. I was just looking forward to looking good. Recently, I began an exercise regime and was weighing myself too. I notice the same thing!!!!! It is frustrating AND discouraging. As a result, I did eat a little more comfort food/ snacks just as that person noted earlier! Now that I've read all of your comments, I feel ENCOURAGED enough to get back on course-----with the goal of finding a scientific answer to the weightgain during exercise question.
I completely agree.. that is what just happened to me. I know better than to weight myself until weight in day.. but I will not let that get me down.. i feel great that is more important to me than what some stupid scale says..lol
it is important to see the loss  weight in two different ways : loss pounds and body measurements (hips, waist, back, chest, thigh). if you are making exercise all days your body could gain weight but lossing fat and measurements. don't get frustated
I can not undesrtand the number in the chart of days in the secrion mydiet. I can ser i have the calories i ate , the calories i burnt but at the end there is a sumatory that i dont undestand. can somebody explaim it. please
I can not undesrtand the number in the chart of days in the secrion mydiet. I can ser i have the calories i ate , the calories i burnt but at the end there is an other number, like a summation I dont undestand. can somebody explaim it. please
I see what you're saying but if muscle is denser than fat then 1cm3 of muscle weighs more than the equivalent in fat.
Thank you so much for your feed back I have a lot of fat to loss &  when I weighted in before my exercise routine this morning I was 242 after 245 (pretty discouraging!!!) Thank you again for clearing this up for me.
I average about 700 calories a day. Last weekend I started exercising to help with weight loss. Today was day 9 of exercising for me. I exercise an average of 30 min a day, some days a full hour. I gained a pound & a half over the course of the week. The last couple of days I doubled my water intake & the pound & a half I had gained was gone again in time for my weekly weigh in. So it seemed as though my weight stayed the same. I can't figure out how it's even possible for me not to be losing weight. At 700 calories a day with 1 hour work-outs, you would think my body would have no choice but to give it up right?
We know :)
For all of you who are asking about gaining after you work out, that is completely normal.
I worked out for about 3 weeks and I noticed that I went up 4 pounds and became extremely frustrated so, like all of you, I searched the internet for a logical solution.
What is happening is your body retains fluid, especially if you aren't drinking enough water, so drink up!
And your muscles feel sore which means they are repairing themselves and trying to defend it from any more "damage".
This is normal and if you keep working through it, your body adapts to the new changes/workouts you are putting it through and starts to drop the weight right off.
I started doing p90x and it did that for me at the beginning but I pulled through.
Another thing that helps is stay off the scale, but in order to still see progress, measure.
Measure your arm width, waist, hips, thighs and chest. Doing it at least once a week will show you that there is results and shows you that you are getting rid of inches, which is just as important as pounds.
I also gain weight when I exercise, cardio and muscle training.  However, I recently got the fitbit to track my calories burned and noticed I need to eat more in the days I workout.  I started to eat the right amount of calories and my weight stopped going up.  Maybe my body was saving calories because I wasn't eating enough on the days I was burning more calories?  You could try eating more on your workout days.
it all has to do with what you eat. if you eat protein, it does not let you lose weight. so if you are looking to loose weight you need to find out what kind of foods you should be eating. Micolo