Why do I gain weight when I exercise?
It seems like everytime I add exercise to my healthy eating I tend to gain weight instead of lose.  After several weeks of trying to be patient and give the exercise program (mostly aerobic walking) a chance, I tend to get frustrated and give up exercising because my goal is to lose weight not gain it.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Am I not giving exercise enough time to see the benefits?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. Situps will not help you loose belly fat - they will tone your stomach muscles, but do nothing for fat.
2. either your diet is off (as in not eating enough or too much - both can cause you to plateau).
3. you may need to change your routine. add more days of cardio, i do 5 days of lifting and 5 days of cardio. In addition, make sure you increase your weights - if you are simply lifting the same amount of weight you aren't doing any good.
Check your diet, see if your eating too much or too little.
You may just be gaining muscle or water weight.
If you are gaining muscle what's the big deal. Gaining muscle weight/mass is a good thing. Most people focus too much on weight. What is important is body fat percentage.

Remember, what most people view as healthy/skinny in the media is actually emaciated. You don't want to end up looking like a twig.
Make sure you are eating enough. If you're burning massive calories your body may go into starvation mode and start storing everything you eat. It's important to know how many calories you are burning a day and then adjust your diet to that.
Couple of thoughts:

-Cardio is nice for burning off fat, BUT it's been proven that strength training can actually be more effective in the long run cause you're building more metabolically active tissue.  Fat doesn't burn nearly as many calories as muscles does.  Imagine being a fat burning machine simply by existing, 24/7.  Do your strength training in addition to cardio and combat the fat on two fronts.

-Don't severely under eat.  If you do, your body will FIRST take the deficiency from your muscles before your fat and you don't want that as it will lead to a lower metabolism.  When you're taking in enough calories to maintain your muscles and working out enough to challenge yourself, your body will hit that sweet spot where it will take energy from your fat stores instead.  Also, the advantages to under eating die off after a month or so as your metabolism will actually lower itself to meet the deficiency, which will cause a plateau.  So, instead of going the starvation route and ultimately lowering your metabolism, do your strength training and cardio, eat enough so your body doesn't think it's starving, and work on RAISING your metabolism instead.  This does require a 'conditioning' period where you may not see results right away.  However, much like a diesel truck, it starts out slow but gains momentum and soon is a hard to stop machine.

-Challenge yourself in your workouts.  The common theme you'll notice with the body is that it doesn't WANT to lose fat.  It wants to keep that excess fat for starvation times.  So you have to convince the body first that it's not starving and you have to make it think it NEEDS to let go of the fat based on how you exercise.  A leisurely walk isn't going to be very convincing, your body can give you all the energy for that just fine and not break a sweat.  A good 30 minute power walk will challenge your body though.  In the beginning that is.  Remember, the body adapts and it will find a way to give you the energy you need to workout and at the same time keep the fat.  So after a month, the power walking doesn't work anymore and you plateau and frustration settles in.  So how do you 'trick' the body into fat burning mode again?  Change up the workouts.  Instead of power walking, do some cycling or elliptical work.  Switch out your strength training programs about every month or so with new routines that challenge your muscles in different ways.  Don't allow yourself to get too comfortable in a given routine because that is your body telling you it's adapting, which means no progression.  A warning though:  Be careful about over training too.  I have read stories of the 1200 calorie/day girl who trains at the gym for an hour and then goes on her 1 hour jog in the morning and evening and then wonders why she isn't loosing weight.  Don't over do it, just add VARIETY.  Thirty minutes to an hour a day is just fine.

-track your calories.  I use myfitnesspal.com personally.  It has a process to help you know what your calorie requirements should be per day AND it allows you to key in your food choices based on a pre-populated database of foods.  You don't have to key in calorie amounts.  Just key in '1 medium size orange' and it has all the data stored for you.  Also, what's nice is you can key in your workouts, what you're doing and for how long and it will auto adjust your calorie needs accordingly.  The important thing in doing this is to give you a FEELING for what your calorie level should be.  I found after doing this for a few weeks that I didn't need to track anymore really as I KNEW what i should be eating based on experience.  However, I still track my food becasue I can trend other pieces of data, like the balance of nutrient levels.  Am I eating too much sodium, getting enough fiber, etc.

-speaking of sodium, get this under control, 2400 mg/day is RDA.  The more sodium in your diet, the more water you retain and that leads to weight gain.  A lot of people, when going on a diet, lose weight pretty quickly at first.  This is usually due to the immediate change in sodium in what they're eating, since they're usually eating cleaner and thus less sodium.  This is important too for those of you battling high blood pressure as water retention can lead to high blood pressure levels.

Anyway, just a few tips I've learned along the way, this coming from a guy who lost 45 lbs in the last year from exercise, eating clean, and LEARNING about how real health works.  Do you research, the more you know, the more power you have to change your life and body.
I appreciate this comment.  I did a 7,9,3 miler run plus elliptical training in one week.  When I went back to weight watchers I gained 1.4lbs.  I did increase my calories according to their plan.  What a disappointment.  Weighing in today and hoping for a better number this week.  My leader (a runner) did mention something about muscle tears.  Thank you again!
I had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago. As this is not a quick fix, it is a jump start but then I have to do the rest..eat right, exercise.... BUT I have put on 10 pounds, so I really buckled down and I excercise everyday, and what happens... I put on 3 more pounds! this happened to me before, so I really think I should not exercise this much because of the weight gain, and it is not just the scale my clothes are tight. this is extremely upsetting I have gone through alot to get down to the size I am, not only bypass surgery, my gallbladder had to be removed then 2 months later my appendix IT WAS A NIGHTMARE... now I am so concerned I will get back up to 220 pounds again! I was very happy at 120 pounds now I am creeping up I weigh 133! Now I know some of you are going what is wrong with her she is only 133 pounds. BUT it keeps going up and I am someone who has been obese for so many years, I seem to be headed in the wrong direction..
FYI:i work out with a personal trainer 3 times a week and i do strength training and cardio and i also work out 3 times a week on my own cardio only because muscle weighs more then fat so i do more cardio then strenght training to lose size the reason your scale is saying you gained or are the same weight is because muscle weighs more then fat a scale cant tell you whats going on on the inside of your body you have lost body fat but have gained muscle mass 1 pound of muscle is to 5 pounds of fat trust me this is true i work with meny personal trainers and my husband is an employee at california family fitness in sacramentom,ca i had the same problem and was very confused at first but you have to do more cardio then strenth training to loss size try not weighing yourself we use a little thing you hold in your hand and it tells you how much body fat and muscle you have and we check inces on my body dont use a scale do more cardio then strenght training to lose size but doing strenght training gaining muscle is dropping body fat you will see yourself looking better and feeling better drink nothing but water and try not eating any meat for about 2weeks and instead snack with almonds you will see a drop in your size also i do not eat meat and my weight dropped 15pounds before 2 months had past but you gotta do cardio while drinking lots of water TRUST ME ASK ANY PERSONAL TRAINER OR GO TO ANY GYM AND ASK THEM THEY ALL WILL TELL YOU MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THEN FAT!!!! STAY FOCUSED AND STRONG YOU CAN DO IT DONT GIVE UP!!
Thank you for giving such honest and easy to understand advice.
I joined atletics last year and id been in good shape haelthy and all but in pe and I joined athletics and track then I stared gaining weight (not just muscle) and gettin more and more out of shape it fustrates me cuz at the beginin I waz quite skinnky at 126 and now im 140 and I have a slight bellt >( this has to quite a few of of the people in my atlthics program
I joined atletics last year and id been in good shape haelthy and all but in pe and I joined athletics and track then I stared gaining weight (not just muscle) and gettin more and more out of shape it fustrates me cuz at the beginin I waz quite skinnky at 126 and now im 140 and I have a slight bellt >( this has to quite a few of of the people in my atlthics program at my school
Technically, JT, you are absolutely correct. A pound of gary and a pound of muscle weigh exactly the same ... One pound. But here's another question for you. Which weighs more, one cubic foot of fat or one cubic foot of muscle? Skill, the logical answer, of course, is muscle.
On the human body, e have a somewhat limited
On the human body, we have a somewhat limited
A pound is a pound, no matter what it is; it's simply that some things are denser (molecules are tightly packed) than others.
The reason why muscle weighs more than fat is simple; muscle utilizes water to synthesize protein. In order to build muscle you must eat protein. However, when you first start working out, your muscles will fill with water in order to repair and create more muscle. Most of you are right, one pound of fat would be equivalent to one pound of muscle, however, if you take one pound of muscle and fill it with water it will weigh more than one pound of fat. Everyone's muscles contain water but when your body is just beginning to get used to exercise your muscle is a bit shocked which causes water retention. The only thing I can say is do not give up, maybe up your water intake, and do a caloric zig zag diet. Otherwise, taking in too little calories can cause weight gain. In every diet you are supposed to continually reduce your calories or up your workout and if you start at 1,200 calories and you plateau if your keep reducing your calories you will end up eating nothing.
I lost 10 pounds and went on vacation for a week.  So, I decided to power walk, pulled out the juiceman and eat mostly vegetables and fruit.  Got on the scale and noted a three pound gain.  I drink plenty of water, love the stuff, I drink it up until I go to sleep.   I eat up 1200 calories a day,  I plateaued after the ten pound lost for two months, so I was ADDED exercising, so that is why I started power walking.  I have gained back three pounds, however, I do believe it is water weight, because the three pound gain happen over night.  Oddly enough as long as I was doing aerobics, I did not gain.   Last summer I gain 8 pounds walking and it take 3 months to get that off.
The majority of the population is low on Vitamin D - being low on this can inhibit a person's ability to lose fat - and to see results when exercising and altering diet -
http://www1.umn.edu/news/features/2009/UR_CONTENT_165066.html
Research this!

I, personally, began to see a difference in my weight when I started taking 2000 iu of D daily.  Before starting to take D, I did not check my levels through a blood test.  I just assumed I was low.  You can however check with a standard CBC.  Last time I went to the doctor and checked, I had adequate amounts of D, but I was still on the low side!  
I do not want to tell anyone what level is ok for them to take, (and I know that excess levels of vitamin D can be toxic) - but it is worth exploring.  
Good luck!
Another note:  my dad is a physician and I talked to him about this issue before starting to take this vitamin.  There are other health benefits to taking vitamin D.  
Interesting article.  I'd seen it once before, but it's been a long time.  

It's true that a lot of us are deficient in vitamin D, and supplementing is usually okay.  

In order to avoid having people think they can simply supplement with vitamin D and lose weight, I do think it's important to note the following statement by the researcher in the article:
"But she cautions against going overboard with vitamin D—there are levels where it can become toxic in the system—and reiterates that there is still no definitive link to weight loss."

I take 2000 iu of vitamin D daily and have seen no difference at all in my weight.
No a pound is a pound, why would muscle weigh more than fat??? A ton of feathers weighs the exact same as a ton of bricks, a ton is a ton, so if your gaining weight , you are probably losing the fat but making your fatty muscles more pronounced. Get it?
Don't get discouraged if you gain weight when working out.  I'm 5'8 and not long ago I used to weigh 155 lbs., wear a size 12/14 in bottoms, and need a large in shirts; my measurements were 40-32-38.  Then I started working out--doing circuit training, running, and using a stationary bike--and yes, I gained a little while I was doing it.  But now, after working out consistently for 5-6 days a week, I wear a size 6/8 in bottoms and need a size small (sometimes XS!) in shirts; my measurements are 38-28-39.  

But guess what?  I weigh 151 lbs.  That's only a four pound decrease, but that's four inches off my waist and much, much smaller clothes.  And my hips are a lot bigger now than they were--but in a good way, because I had no butt and hips at all before.  I also had tiny chicken legs but now have muscular thighs and calves.  I used to be an apple shape with a lot of fat, and now I'm an hourglass with a lot of muscle.  But I've only lost four pounds.  

Weight means nothing!  It's all about body shape, muscle mass, and fat percentage.  Don't stress about weight--concentrate on health and fitness!
dear the same happened with me i have been going to gym daily and eating health diet but my weight is increasing with the muscles.but now i am walking morning and evening before go to the gym and after eating.now i slowly decrease my some weight.
I'm having this problem but I have lost 20 lbs but it seem like the scale each week likes to play games with me I'm completely stuck. I'll lose then the next week I'm back and then it repeats ugh but I also measure at the same time. I workout 4-5 times a week and eat about 1200-1300 calories a day. Totally frustrating but keep going because sometimes it could be water weight not fat gained. Try to weigh in every two weeks if you have to I will probably start doing the same. Goodluck girl. :-)
This is good advice. I drink between 1/2 and 1 gallon of water a day since I began going to the gym 6 weeks ago. I am seeing a huge difference in my strength. I started most of my weights at 70 pounds and am up to 130-150 now. However, I have gained a lot of weight and it is very depressing. My scale Tracks weight, BMI, muscle mass, water retention, and a few other things. My water retention wont go up no matter how much water I drink which is depressing. But I have gained 7 pounds in 7 weeks. I see a very tiny difference in my waist as far as visual weight loss but other than that I am still in all my same clothes and no change is happening in my size. WTF?? I have never weighed this uch in my life. This is depressing.
Hi all...  I got this Christmas gift Elliptical Machine. And I have start using  it since Jan'12. half an hour a day, at least 4 times a week till now. I did not even loose half a  inch.. Can someone tell me why ? I am giving up soon.. Really frustrated..
Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound! If you look at a pound of fat and a pound of muscle (chicken fat next to filet mingnon) the muscle is smaller in size. I too am having a battle with the scale after training in cardio and weights for 5 weeks. I have gained and it is frustrating! But....I have muscle tone, definition and feel great. So I now have to decide should I pay so much attention to the scale or just the tape measure???
CALORIES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. HOW YOUR BODY CONVERTS CELERY...WATER & NUTRIENTS, IS FAR DIFFERENT FROM HOW IT CONVERTS BUTTER....PURE FAT.
I have to add to this as well. I'm beginning to think it must be something to do with genetics or something for certain people. Yes I see all the proof that exercise is great for weight loss, I believe that it works for most people but it simply doesn't for me. A year ago I decided I wanted to get healthy, though I loved my weight and wanted to maintain it. I started eating regular portions of veggie and protein based meals while going for runs and doing a bit of weights, pilates etc. In the first three months I went from 56kg to 59kgs but everyone kept reassuring me that you gain weight at first then you go back to your normal size or lose it so I kept going and gradually increased the exercise to 45 minutes 4 to 5 days a week. In the next three months my weight went up to 64kgs. Yes I was stronger but none of my clothes fit anymore, my bmi was almost in the overweight section and my self esteem plumetted. I couldn't believe that by doing everything that was recommended that this could happen. I talked to gym trainers, nutritionists, doctors and they all told me to just keep going, that because I was doing everything right, that anytime now i'd go back to my normal size. But after 6 months I was sick of trying my hardest and being unhappy. I changed my exercise to only a bit of yoga and the occasional walk, and actually began to introduce a few of the treats into my diet i'd denied myself for so long and the weight just dropped off me. I lost 4kgs in 2 weeks, another 4kgs in the next month and am still gradually losing. I am now another 6 months down the track far slimmer than I have ever been in my life, I feel happy, confident and I actually feel far healthier than I did when I was being "healthy". I have no idea why my body had such a negative reaction to the exercise but from now on I'm just going to do what feels right and natural to my health and happiness instead of following others instructions because hey at the end of the day we know our own bodies the best.
Unfortunately, it's all about what you eat. Try eating strictly vegetarian while training, and drink A LOT of water.
I am 23 yrs of old and underweight(40kg). I got frustrated with my skinny appearance. I eat well. Will exercise like brisk walking,jogging help in gaining weight??
To the ones who believe muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, you don't know what you're talking about! In volume muscle weighs more than fat. We know muscles retain water, it is still important to exercise and watch calorie intake for your body type to continue your goal to weight/fat loss. Your body is too smart because it knows exactly when to store fat and when to use it up. If you keep on eating the same amount of calories, same types of foods and exercising the same time everyday and you'll hit a plateau before you know it. You have to shock your body EVERYDAY, meaning, eating different foods at different times of the day, making sure you include protein in EVERY meal and eat breakfast within the first hour you wake up (which is a must everyday), to maximise your fat loss as you burn it with the right foods and exercise. But when you eat the right food at breakfast, it kick-starts your metabolism, providing you with a steady stream of energy to keep you going through the day.  Don't forget, if you're getting 6 hours of sleep or less a night, you are slowing your metabolism dramatically because it seems to have an effect on glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity which determines how well our body is able to metabolise energy from foods containing carbohydrates. If you do not eat the right breakfast, your metabolism stays at a slower rate and doesn't get the kick-start it needs to give you energy. Soy in particular has been found to speed up the body’s ability to burn calories as well, balancing blood sugar as well as providing a healthy snack which makes you feel fuller for longer. The idea is to eat foods than burn faster prior to exercise (up the carbs before exercise) and replace it with more protein after, using the 3 hr rule and watching your portions everyday, that way your body won't store carbs into fat. Eat a snack/meal every 3 hours and make your snacks protein only, so the body will force itself to burn fat faster. Eating differnt meals and doing different exercises at different times of the day, including calorie intake (1200 one day, 1400 the next, then 1300, then 1150, walking one day, interval/resistance training the next, spin class the next, swimming the next and so on..) is the key to permanent fast weight loss. Hope this helps.
*TRICKING the body by shocking it when you eat different foods and exercises at different times of the day makes your body wonder what you're going to do next. Eating small meals with protein in every meal every 3 hours increases your metabolism from morning to night, even while you sleep. Eating 6 smaller meals one day, 3 square meals the next, then 5 smaller meals the day after, then 4 meals a day after that, making sure you watch your calorie intake but never keeping it at 1200 (the same) but never exceeding calories for maintenance weight, even changing exercises and for how long and at different times, you will see faster results. ;)
Technically, though, our bodies don't body is convert fat into muscle. We burn up fat to use as energy - our bodies create new muscle from protein contained in our food when we do exercise. The fat doesn't turn into muscle, but it may seem that way. As we lose one it is possible to gain the other. If we just diet and don't exercise, we would lose fat but not gain muscle. If we exercise hard and eat less, we will burn fat and build muscle. If we eat more and do no exercise, we would store more fat around our body and waste muscle through lack of use.
Exercising in contrary to a common knowledge is not supposed to make you lose weight all it does is that it burns fats and make you gain muscle weight which is heavier than fats. But do you see yourself more fit? Because you are combining the workouts with healthy diet then am sure even if you gain weight it is going to be healthy weight that does not affect your health. Exercising also is recommended to those who are stumped on how to gain weight so usually people will recommend them doing exercises so that they gain muscle weight.
I am soooo glad you said this.. So many people think that muscle weighs more than fat. 1lb is 1lb !!!!
whoever u r i hope u r right....i have being doing pressup and cardio and sit ups my pants which was tight comes realy right round my hip not my waist n b4 it was actually tight on my waist BUT have blady F***** gained 700grams...feel lyk crying my eyeballs out....oh n i weigh myself everyday.....i know u must be going stop dat B***h...well datz wat my frndz tell me...dea exact words...should i b worried or happy...PLIZ help
your advice is not only wrong,  it is harmful.  this is not a forum for anorexics,  it is a forum for people seeking to be healthier.
I also gain weight every time I exercise, even while on a strict Weight Watchers diet.  I believe it is due to cortisol or estrogen levels rising when I exercise.  It so so frustrating.  My clothes get tighter and I get fatter around the middle.  If I give up exercising, then I will sometimes start losing weight.
I've always lost weight when I've incorporated exercise in my schedule. However, I wouldn't weigh myself. I was just looking forward to looking good. Recently, I began an exercise regime and was weighing myself too. I notice the same thing!!!!! It is frustrating AND discouraging. As a result, I did eat a little more comfort food/ snacks just as that person noted earlier! Now that I've read all of your comments, I feel ENCOURAGED enough to get back on course-----with the goal of finding a scientific answer to the weightgain during exercise question.
I completely agree.. that is what just happened to me. I know better than to weight myself until weight in day.. but I will not let that get me down.. i feel great that is more important to me than what some stupid scale says..lol
it is important to see the loss  weight in two different ways : loss pounds and body measurements (hips, waist, back, chest, thigh). if you are making exercise all days your body could gain weight but lossing fat and measurements. don't get frustated
I can not undesrtand the number in the chart of days in the secrion mydiet. I can ser i have the calories i ate , the calories i burnt but at the end there is a sumatory that i dont undestand. can somebody explaim it. please
I can not undesrtand the number in the chart of days in the secrion mydiet. I can ser i have the calories i ate , the calories i burnt but at the end there is an other number, like a summation I dont undestand. can somebody explaim it. please
I see what you're saying but if muscle is denser than fat then 1cm3 of muscle weighs more than the equivalent in fat.
Thank you so much for your feed back I have a lot of fat to loss &  when I weighted in before my exercise routine this morning I was 242 after 245 (pretty discouraging!!!) Thank you again for clearing this up for me.
I average about 700 calories a day. Last weekend I started exercising to help with weight loss. Today was day 9 of exercising for me. I exercise an average of 30 min a day, some days a full hour. I gained a pound & a half over the course of the week. The last couple of days I doubled my water intake & the pound & a half I had gained was gone again in time for my weekly weigh in. So it seemed as though my weight stayed the same. I can't figure out how it's even possible for me not to be losing weight. At 700 calories a day with 1 hour work-outs, you would think my body would have no choice but to give it up right?
We know :)
For all of you who are asking about gaining after you work out, that is completely normal.
I worked out for about 3 weeks and I noticed that I went up 4 pounds and became extremely frustrated so, like all of you, I searched the internet for a logical solution.
What is happening is your body retains fluid, especially if you aren't drinking enough water, so drink up!
And your muscles feel sore which means they are repairing themselves and trying to defend it from any more "damage".
This is normal and if you keep working through it, your body adapts to the new changes/workouts you are putting it through and starts to drop the weight right off.
I started doing p90x and it did that for me at the beginning but I pulled through.
Another thing that helps is stay off the scale, but in order to still see progress, measure.
Measure your arm width, waist, hips, thighs and chest. Doing it at least once a week will show you that there is results and shows you that you are getting rid of inches, which is just as important as pounds.
I also gain weight when I exercise, cardio and muscle training.  However, I recently got the fitbit to track my calories burned and noticed I need to eat more in the days I workout.  I started to eat the right amount of calories and my weight stopped going up.  Maybe my body was saving calories because I wasn't eating enough on the days I was burning more calories?  You could try eating more on your workout days.
it all has to do with what you eat. if you eat protein, it does not let you lose weight. so if you are looking to loose weight you need to find out what kind of foods you should be eating. Micolo
Girl, please let me know how you are doing!!!  I started on Jan 8th at 224 - 1st week of P90X I lost 4.2 lbs - 2nd week I'm 221.6 - I know it's only 7 oz - but damn!  For what I'm doing - tracking all my foods ensuring that my cals out exceed my cals in - eating quality foods, and to gain weight???  Frustrating... I went from a size 26 to a size 5, and now sit at an 18.... NOT happy with it... please let me know how you do!