Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Will doing these exercise just cause me to build muscle under fat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Ok so I really need some help here. I'm currently doing these exercises every day. I only started three days ago and my muscles are pretty sore but I don't care as long as they are going to work. I stretch out before and after each workout. I'm eating really healthy now (5 small meals a day), have upped my protein intake (chicken, fish, egg whites etc), lowered my fat intake and have cut all junk food, refined sugar and alcohol from my diet. I also only drink water or herbal teas such as decaffeinated green tea, peppermint or camomile. I'm not sure there is any way I can eat more healthy. What I would like to know now is whether doing these exercises daily will help me lose fat and tone up or simply cause me to build muscle under fat. I want to lose a dress size and generally get healthy - I do not want to bulk up and am worried I may doing these exercises daily either that or just end up bigger because I have gained muscle under existing fat. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Most of the exercises are performed with a weight of between 2 and a 1/2 to 5lbs. I work out and do all of these exercises in the morning. If any of the exercises need explaining let me know and I will do my best to explain. Do I need to do any cardio or is cardio involved in these exercise? I'm pretty clueless right now.

The Exercises:
Pile squats, Shadow boxing (set of thirty differing punches with a weight in each hand, squatting at intervals), Incline dumbbell on a stability ball, Bench dips, Wide dumbbell rows on a stability ball, Reverse lunge with torso twist, Good mornings with rotation, Handoff, Trunk crunches, Double crunch with ball, Forward and reverse crossover lunges with bicep curl, Squat jumps with medicine ball, Sumo lunge with sidekick and frog jump, Platypus walk with medicine ball.

I also don't want to end up looking like muscle woman either. I just want to lose my belly fat, tone my arms and legs, get leaner, healthier and lose about a stone of weight (fat).

Any advice, information or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

This work out already takes around an hour and a half to two hours every day and I'm very busy with a job and home life so I can't fit a heap more working out in but if anyone has ideas I am willing to try anything and try to reschedule things to fit more exercise in if needed.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Having worked out over the past 2 years to try and tone my body I've found that as long as you're not adding weight that's not normally part of your body's frame you won't really gain any muscle. With that said, you'll start to notice the muscles become more toned and "cut" as they say over time. You'll find that once the muscles look toned you're not really any stronger than you were when you started, just far more fit.

I hope this helps!
I am impressed with your determination! You are motivated and I don't know how much weight/fat you would like to lose, but you certainly are on the right track.

If you don't mind, may I offer a couple of suggestions?  If you have that much time for your workouts, try doing cardio AND strength training in each session. Even though you are probably huffing and puffing during your workouts (which is because you are working large muscle groups) what you are doing is "anaerobic".

Here's what I am thinking.  When you work out a muscle group, say, quads (when you do squats or lunges), you are not supposed to work that muscle group the next day.  You should rest at least 1 day in between.  If you alternate muscle groups, you'd have time to get in some aerobic (or cardio) exercise with each workout.

Strength training, which is what you are currently doing is the BEST way to increase your metabolism.  Cardio is the BEST way to burn fat.  You truly need to do both for the best results...but NOT necessarily both every day (I only suggested that because you sound so motivated and like you have the time and energy to do it, lol).

Also, I want to caution you on stretching BEFORE you exercise.  There is now more evidence that stretching before exercise is more harmful than beneficial.  Current recommendations are to do a lighter version of what your workout will be.  For example, if you are going to do a step aerobics class, start out with some marching in place and then side-to-side steps and gradually start stepping onto the step board. Stretching cold muscles is a recipe for injury.  The best time to stretch is when your muscles are warm.

I sure hope this helps.  Good luck!  I can't wait to hear how you are doing.
Strength-training won't bulk you up, especially what you're doing. Female body-builders put their bodies through a lot in order to build those muscles. It's very hard for an average women to do this. Most women who do strength-training and eat healthy look toned and very thin.

twehner5 and AntiHelium both have great advice.

Over all, the exercises you're doing are great. Keep up the good work!
Women do not produce enough testosterone (without steroids) to bulk up.  I train with kettlebells and do swings with a 40 lb. bell.  I will burn fat, tone my body, and get a complete cardio workout.  Kettlebells are for your total body.  They are cheaper than a home gym, take up less space, and are more effective.  You can preview some workouts on youtube.  Lauren Brooks is great.  You'll see for yourself about the muscles vs toning.